• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Please help my rifle hates my bullets

Spent round

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2013
Western nebraska
Savage model 10 ruins the case face and blows the primer.I reload my own hornady gmail 150 gr imr 4320 47 gr lapis brass 24 in bbl 1 in 10 twist.It shoots great but when I go to reload it doesn't fit in the seat base for depriming not sure what's up.it ejects fine the firing pin is centered the bolt face is clean.rifle is only two weeks old.please help me if you can my cell number is 352-445-0218 my name is Chris .I thank you in advance for any help at all.

Please use factory ammo and save your family the costs of tragedy.

Do you get these issues with factory ammo...? If not, that says it's your ammo.
Go back to the basics and open a reloading manual for your caliber and keep your loads within min-max specs.

Hodgdon data center lists 47.6 to 49grs. of 4320 as a max load depending on which 150gr bullet you are using assuming this is a .308. Everything you describe indicates to hot of a load, are you using standard primers or magnum? Have you checked the accuracy of the scale you are using? If so go to the minimum load and work up. HTH

Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

Shouldn't be too hot of a load 10 % less than max only 58000 psi new brass lapua.non magnum primers per hogdons.horndy dig scale.......I gave you the wrong info I'm very sorry.the recip was benchmark at 47 and the above was correct.please remit

Thanks for all the input so far on a comparison base my other 308 loves it.ill try this new hornady brass ,comp ar at 44.5 with hornady gmx 150 and ill wear my moto helmet for my wife's sake.thks again

Things to look for when working up a load; (1) sticky bolt lift on fired round (2) excessive primer flattening (3) primer flowing into firing pin hole (4) blowing primer pockets (5) excessive rim expansion

You are having more than one of these issues, so you have a load that appears to be extremely overpressure, word of advice, do not fire another round of those handloads. As mentioned, go to Hodgdon's loading page, start at the lower end. I think you had a typo and meant Lapua brass, the I and the A on the keyboard are a little close so I came to this conclusion. One thing to watch out for other than charge weight is your bullet seating depth, if you are seated into the lands it can cause pressure to increase substantially.

^ Captain Kirk +1

Your load up is HOT! I would NOT use another one of those rounds with the issues that you are showing.

Shouldn't be too hot of a load 10 % less than max only 58000 psi new brass lapua.non magnum primers per hogdons.horndy dig scale.......I gave you the wrong info I'm very sorry.the recip was benchmark at 47 and the above was correct.please remit

So are you saying your load was a 150 grain bullet with 47.0 grains of Benchmark? If so, your 47 grains of Benchmark is 4-5 grains over MAXIMUM.

He is using IMR 4320. Their site shows a starting charge weight of 44.1gr for the 155s. I ran some powder numbers, it looks like H4895 will give you more velocity (nearly 100 fps more) WITH lower pressure than 4320 with the 155s, it may just not be the ideal powder for your application.

Holy hell.my eyesight,fingers,and wife all thank you.....4898 would be great send me some.i can't find it anywhere,nor varget nor re15,or 322.....I have ar comp,bench,4320,322......I must have read my numbers way wrong or something.i bow to tree for keeping me safe..I'll delete thread now because its in the wrong place thanks again...

Holy hell.my eyesight,fingers,and wife all thank you.....4898 would be great send me some.i can't find it anywhere,nor varget nor re15,or 322.....I have ar comp,bench,4320,322......I must have read my numbers way wrong or something.i bow to tree for keeping me safe..I'll delete thread now because its in the wrong place thanks again...

There's nothing wrong with the powders you have, Benchmark, AR Comp, IMR4320, will all shoot 150 grain bullets well in a 308 Win.. I use all three of these powders for shooting 155's in my 308's.

Just as you found, you have to be diligent and double check your powder charge weights with a good source of reloading data. Glad you weren't hurt. You might give your gun a good going over, especially your bolt face.

As Mech45 suggests...even using a digital scale, check your scale. You may REALL be 2 to 3 grains heavy. Also check your bullet weights...I had a box of Sierra's years ago that had 46 bullets out of a hundred that were 200 grain bullets instead of 168 SMKs.

He is using IMR 4320. Their site shows a starting charge weight of 44.1gr for the 155s. I ran some powder numbers, it looks like H4895 will give you more velocity (nearly 100 fps more) WITH lower pressure than 4320 with the 155s, it may just not be the ideal powder for your application.

Read post #11. he corrected himself and stated he was using Benchmark.

BTW, Lapua brass tends to be thicker. Loads should be reduced when using Lapua brass.

Be careful when working up on the AR Comp loads. I ran into pressure signs well short of maximum charges in my .308 bolt gun when loading with it.

Be careful when working up on the AR Comp loads. I ran into pressure signs well short of maximum charges in my .308 bolt gun when loading with it.

I found this as well. 41.0 of AR Comp with a 175 OTM gives me 2650 FPS out of a 24" 308 Win. bolt gun with no pressure signs. Out of the same 24" BBL. bolt rifle, I get 2855 FPS out of 43.0 AR Comp with a 155 OTM. No pressure signs in my bolt gun, but I shot this same load out of my SR-25 and blew primers. I had to reduce the charge 1-2 grains for the gas gun.