• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PLEASE READ! Worst Shooting Range in the Nation?

remau308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2011
Carrollton, Georgia
I live in Auburn, Alabama, and up the road from us is the Uchee Shooting Range...well, mud pit. This so-called range is in the Tuskegee National Forest, and is supposed to be monitered by their Ranger station. However, this range is almost out of control. They have a restroom installed, and shooting benchs, but they are both obliterated by bullet holes from careless idiots.

I went out there today to sight my rifle in. I ended up getting so frustrated at the ignorant people there that I packed my stuff up and left with out having it properly zeroed. The guy on my direct left thought he was hood, and he repeatedly turned his gun sideways and dumped his mags. He also would randomly yell clear and bolt out onto the range while people were still handling their weapons, but didn't hear him. His girlfriend was with him also, and I had to remind her TWICE to not muzzle flash people, and to keep her finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. The guy on my immediate right of me thought he was some sort of "operator", but he was also just dumping the mags in his Sig 556 all over the range with no intended target (Except for my target which he shot three times in the frenzy). Although, he did apologize and offered to let me dump one of his mags, in which I respectfully declined. Two benches down to my left was a guy shooting a defective .308 where the bolt would not properly engage or disengage, and the scope mount had only one screw in it. I tried to tell him to stop shooting it and take it to a smith before he had a catastrophic failure, but he was too thick-headed. That is when I left before someone got hurt, and it was not going to be me. As I was leaving, I noticed a mom with her three sons (one was about 18, and two around ten years old). Her two sons were running around with "unloaded" pistols clicking them at each other. I ran over to her and told her to stop her kids immediately before someone was accidently injured or killed.

I called the local ranger station to ask why no one supervised this range and to have someone come out immediately, but sure enough...it was closed. Needless to say, I will never be going there again, and something serious should be done about this place.

Re: PLEASE READ! Worst Shooting Range in the Nation?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in Auburn, Alabama, and up the road from us is the Uchee Shooting Range...well, mud pit. This so-called range is in the Tuskegee National Forest, and is supposed to be monitered by their Ranger station. However, this range is almost out of control. They have a restroom installed, and shooting benchs, but they are both obliterated by bullet holes from careless idiots.

I went out there today to sight my rifle in. I ended up getting so frustrated at the ignorant people there that I packed my stuff up and left with out having it properly zeroed. The guy on my direct left thought he was hood, and he repeatedly turned his gun sideways and dumped his mags. He also would randomly yell clear and bolt out onto the range while people were still handling their weapons, but didn't hear him. His girlfriend was with him also, and I had to remind her TWICE to not muzzle flash people, and to keep her finger off the trigger until ready to shoot. The guy on my immediate right of me thought he was some sort of "operator", but he was also just dumping the mags in his Sig 556 all over the range with no intended target (Except for my target which he shot three times in the frenzy). Although, he did apologize and offered to let me dump one of his mags, in which I respectfully declined. Two benches down to my left was a guy shooting a defective .308 where the bolt would not properly engage or disengage, and the scope mount had only one screw in it. I tried to tell him to stop shooting it and take it to a smith before he had a catastrophic failure, but he was too thick-headed. That is when I left before someone got hurt, and it was not going to be me. As I was leaving, I noticed a mom with her three sons (one was about 18, and two around ten years old). Her two sons were running around with "unloaded" pistols clicking them at each other. I ran over to her and told her to stop her kids immediately before someone was accidently injured or killed.

I called the local ranger station to ask why no one supervised this range and to have someone come out immediately, but sure enough...it was closed. Needless to say, I will never be going there again, and something serious should be done about this place.</div></div> Sounds like this is 50% mind your own business situation and the other 50% is pack up your shit and leave immediately situation.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Needless to say, I will never be going there again</div></div>Problem solved.

Re: Worst Shooting Range in the Nation?

All in all, it sounds like the week or so right before centerfire rifle deer season in just about any state with inbred fucktards that haven't managed to wash out of the gene pool yet.

"mind your own business", seriously? So, if a man next to you was shooting your target, muzzle flashing you, shooting a defective weapon, and pointing "unloaded" guns at people you would just mind your own business...ok

Set up a video camera, that place sounds like a perfect place to get hours of bloopers and homicides.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"mind your own business", seriously? So, if a man next to you was shooting your target, muzzle flashing you, shooting a defective weapon, and pointing "unloaded" guns at people you would just mind your own business...ok</div></div> Nope, reference the other 50%...I would leave the range and all of the idiot patrons of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"mind your own business", seriously? So, if a man next to you was shooting your target, muzzle flashing you, shooting a defective weapon, and pointing "unloaded" guns at people you would just mind your own business...ok </div></div>

I had a guy next to me one day shooting a Tok 33 that was blowing out the side of the cases consistently, indicating a serious defect in the chamber. He had purchased the pistol and surplus ammo, and brought it right from the dealer to a range without tearing it down, inspecting it, and then lubricating it. Nothing. Dry from the armory, probably still with cosmoline in all the places that you don't want it, and he really didn't want to listen to reason.

Face it. The majority of people couldn't pour piss from a boot without instruction.

I saw it, I definitely wouldn't mind your own business in 50% though. I did leave, but it's not only my ass that is in harms way. If merely one man gets shot or dies from recklessness it will close the range down, and we don't exactly have many around here. It's these people anti-gun activists think of and use against the actual responsible gun owners. A simple range monitor would be a quick fix.

"Some people learn by reading, a lucky few by observation, the rest have to piss on the electric fence for themselves."
Sounds like that range has way to many of the last group for it's own good. And they will probably wonder why it gets closed down one of these days.

stuff like that makes it rough for all of us.
I have seen similar stuff at a range in Dallas. 4 or 5 really young wanna be thugs just dumping mags sideways. I joked to a buddy that next time they should bring a car door to hang out of so they could practice their drive bys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chris112</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sounds like that range has way to many of the last group for it's own good. And they will probably wonder why it gets closed down one of these days. </div></div>

And thats what I don't want to happen. It's close and cheap, but I wouldn't mind paying more for a safer, retard-filtered range.

Wow! Glad I couldn't make it.
eek.gif

If you get up towards B'ham, shoot me a PM. I've got a membership at a couple places if all you need is a 100yd zero.

Go find some TVA, or WMA that isn't frequented much. A non monitored shooting range is a retard magnet. Most people won't go out of their way to find a secluded spot to hunt down there let alone just to shoot. There are plenty of hunting clubs down your way that have there own ranges. When you try to tell people like that what they are doing is wrong it goes in one ear and out the other. Just save your breath next time. The last time I was at a public range there were three college kids that had a derringer 22 and couldn't figure out how to fire it. They were too stupid to pull the hammer back. My friend asked if we should go help them out, I said sure and told the guy I would buy it from him for 50 bucks. Of course he said no I just paid 200 for it, and his GF convinced him to just take it back to the store. For what it's worth just find a different place to shoot.

The people at this alleged range are what gives gun owners a bad name.

I could only read through half of your first paraagraph and knew it was time to get the hell outta ther quick before some one gets killed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If merely one man gets shot or dies from recklessness it will close the range down, and we don't exactly have many around here. </div></div>

That happened here. There was a similar range up in the Pike Nat'l Forest, and if you didn't get up there early enough the 'tards would overrun it after they came to from partying the night before. About a year ago a guy had his Hi-Point jam, and while trying to clear it shot his soon to be brother-in-law laterally through the chest...punctured both lungs, the guy bled out in about three minutes.

Next day the range was closed, and despite the efforts of quite a few, it remains that way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yasherka</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If merely one man gets shot or dies from recklessness it will close the range down, and we don't exactly have many around here. </div></div>

That happened here. There was a similar range up in the Pike Nat'l Forest, and if you didn't get up there early enough the 'tards would overrun it after they came to from partying the night before. About a year ago a guy had his Hi-Point jam, and while trying to clear it shot his soon to be brother-in-law laterally through the chest...punctured both lungs, the guy bled out in about three minutes.

Next day the range was closed, and despite the efforts of quite a few, it remains that way.</div></div>

Rampart Range was where I was talking about in my previous post. It was no surprise that someone got shot up there. It's just political bullshit they won't reopen it. I can't remember who it was but someone sent a letter to the editors of all the newspapers here in town and gave the death figures for the range compared to people who died rafting on NF portions of the waterways. 1 person in 9 or 10 years for the range which was un-supervised, and over 10 in one year rafting with a guide.

Yasherka if you are looking for a decent range to shoot at try to get on the Frontier Sportsmans Club. They are supposed to finish up a 1,000yd range down in Fountain this year and they have a 300yd range up here in Falcon. Fee's are pretty reasonable too.

This is the reason I only shoot at private gun clubs now. Membership has its privileges....

I am doing my first renewal there right now. I love the Fountain range, usually no one is down there and I have it to myself... the Falcon range is too crowded. I think that will change when the 1000 yard range opens though.

At the Fountain range I can also shoot steel at 300. I wanted to get out there this week, but I see the high on Tuesday is going to be 0.
eek.gif

Stopped by one of the local ranges here one day and someone had cut the chain, drove there truck onto the range, hooked up to the shooting benches and ripped them out of the ground. This was an Izaak Walton League range. No sense in it.

Good on you for trying at least. 'Minding your own business' might sound like a manly thing to post but it achieves exactly nothing 100% of the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good on you for trying at least. 'Minding your own business' might sound like a manly thing to post but it achieves exactly nothing 100% of the time. </div></div>

My thought exactly, it kind of pissed me off to think that he could have been there, and actually knew how to handle a weapon, but he would have minded his own business while someone got shot. I guess thats the level of apathy in this nation now
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good on you for trying at least. 'Minding your own business' might sound like a manly thing to post but it achieves exactly nothing 100% of the time. </div></div>My thought exactly, it kind of pissed me off to think that he could have been there, and actually knew how to handle a weapon, but he would have minded his own business while someone got shot. I guess thats the level of apathy in this nation now
confused.gif
</div></div> If I was concerned about every dipshit's weapon handling skills running around a PUBLIC range...I might as well be working there for free doing on the spot corrections...exactly why I go to private ranges
grin.gif

One of the negative side affects of gun rights is it respects people that don't respect guns.

That's just what makes a free country possible.......in a free country the population has to be responsible to educate themselves on how to function in a free society. Can you imagine how horrible it would be if big government steps in and starts trying to enforce gun safety prior to gun ownership? Where would they stop before the world as we know it would cease to exist?

I have a public range in my town and I use it only when I have to, and I feel your pain. I can't stand it when a stranger sweeps me with his muzzle or seeing a man manipulating his firearm with his finger on the trigger.

I don't have a good answer to the problem except "try to avoid a situation that puts you at risk." Think about all of those drivers you met on the road that were texting on the way to the gun range......:}

I had a membership at a local pistol range. I quickly learned to not go on the weekends, or later than lunch time. I eventually stopped going all together. They would rent guns to people who had no idea how to use them. Just send them into the range with ammo, and a pistol.

Luckily I have plenty of private land to go shoot.

Thanks. I'm sitting here looking at my membership dues paperwork for the local club. They raised the rates again, and wasn't sure if this would be the year that I decided it just isn't worth it.
I guess I'll write that check out now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kentucky Jelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a membership at a local pistol range. I quickly learned to not go on the weekends, or later than lunch time. I eventually stopped going all together. They would rent guns to people who had no idea how to use them. Just send them into the range with ammo, and a pistol.

Luckily I have plenty of private land to go shoot. </div></div>

Maybe they're onto something there...if we put them in their own individual bulletproof range, maybe they will kill themselves into retard extinction...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in Auburn, Alabama, </div></div>

I'm sorry. The deplorable conditions of the range can't help much either. I would wash my hands of the place. Safety = #1

25 Lanes or so with no RO. Last time I went there were 4 Asian women in the lane next to me shooting the ground 5 feet in front the firing line. only 15 feet short of the target. I dropped my half full mag, and packed up.

I drive an hour away to Buds new place now if it has to be in doors. Reactive steel is a plus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in Auburn, Alabama, and up the road from us is the Uchee Shooting Range...well, mud pit. This so-called range is in the Tuskegee National Forest, and is supposed to be monitered by their Ranger station. However, this range is almost out of control. They have a restroom installed, and shooting benchs, but they are both obliterated by bullet holes from careless idiots.

I called the local ranger station to ask why no one supervised this range and to have someone come out immediately, but sure enough...it was closed. Needless to say, I will never be going there again, and something serious should be done about this place. </div></div>

HAHAHA!!!. I know it was going to be Tuskegee. I knew it!
smile.gif

I have lived in Auburn 33 years and what you described goes on there every day. At least it is a litle better than it used to be. Yeasr ago you would see people throwing bottle in the air and trying to shoot them with pistols or taking theri old TVs and PCs out there as targets.

You know a range is bad where there are bullets holes in the bathroom and trash can behind you.

Send me a PM. We can go the range I have on some family land sometime.

I've even heard rumors of people shooting Tannerite out there.
shocked.gif

there was a public range in savannah that i went to with some work buddies once. it was about the scariest thing i have ever done. kids running around with guns, kids muzzle sweeping in full circles with loaded 10/22s while there parents dumped thousands of ak rounds into an old tv. i never saw the range go cold once. people just heaved shit as far as they could and shot at it till they were out of ammo. one visit was one too many.

we have one like that here .
Join a private club and go early.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macgulley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've even heard rumors of people shooting Tannerite out there.
shocked.gif
</div></div>

Yep. I was there when it happenned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macgulley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've even heard rumors of people shooting Tannerite out there.
shocked.gif
</div></div>

Yep. I was there when it happenned. </div></div>

Are you kidding me....
eek.gif

Wow...that's all I can say in response to this thread. Scary!

If I have to go to a public range now all I can do is pay attention to everyone else. It doesn't do well for your shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time for a 50cal, it tends to make the benches CLEAR around you, muzzle blast will sand blast the shit out of those F-N idiots! Just so happens a good friend of mine has one for sale....

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...104#Post2328104

</div></div>

Brilliant, I'll have to get one, "just for crowd control" Being in Yuma, we get a lot of the "hood/vato" types out here. In fact, last time I was out at Adair, there was a vato with a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket full of random 9mm, a 92FS, and 1 magazine. No targets. The guy stood there at the bench, loaded his 1 magazine, kicked that sucker over sideways, unloaded the whole mag as fast as he could at the berm, the dirt in front of him, and the next guy over's target. Dropped the mag, reloaded it, then did it all over again. For at least an hour while I was there (he was still going when I left, maybe he finally hit that damn rock in the berm that was pissing him off).

We had a similiar Forest Service shooting area here in Colorado not far from the Denver area and you guessed it, these tobacco chewing, Coors drinking wankers acted so irresponsibly they shut the place down for good. I can imagine the same fate is in store for this place as well.

remau308,

First off War Eagle!

I see not much has changed at the Tuskegee National Forest. When I lived in Auburn as a student and even after I graduated got a job and moved to Opelika I used the range a lot. This was from '93 to about '02. I learned go early or during the week. The people you saw don't normally crawl out from under their rocks before noon. So if I got there early I would usually have several hours all to myself. If anyone showed up I would quit shooting and watch for a few minutes to see if I needed to pack up and leave.

I will say this I paid for most of my reloading supplies during college off that range. Most of the morons don't pick up anything and leave their trash were it falls. From about the first of September till opening weekend of gun season you can pick up a lot of brass and a lot of it will be deer calibers that are easy to trade. I would go during the week shoot for a few hours then pick up brass. I would usually come home with at least 100 extra peices than what I took with me. I would clean it, sort it and then trade it at the next gun show in Birmingham.