• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Please Stop, these Accounts are Not Hacked

i have some recent knowledge on this subject :devilish::devilish:

i know of a certain account that was not a direct scam in the PX, and who shipped everything that was sold

but was a scammer none the less

"public service announcements" are useless, everyone still opens a email from a unknown source and get a virus, even though we know we shouldnt

then curses the IT firewall or in this case the hide/mod/process

stop complaining, open your eyes and dont get burnt

if you do get burnt it on you... not anyone else

believe me i know lol

Brian

I disagree and will state again what you state is old dated information, the cyber world has moved away from that advice as best case. Your thoughts were once the law of the land, that time has passed.

Basic math determines that a 28 character password (exhibit A - mydoglikestoeatcheddarcheese) is stronger than an 11 character complex password (exhibit B P1gGyB@nk*!) the caps and symbols don't make up for the length

11 characters no matter how RANDOM you make them, are not as strong as 28 characters that are 7 dictionary words combined UNLESS those words are a common phrase

theearlybirdgetstheworm is a worthless passphrase even though it is long. other worthless phrases = goodmorning and haveagoodday or happybirthday I think you get the point. Avoid 1 to 2 dictionary words and avoid common phrases.

The "dictionary-words based passwords" thing that you googled continues on to say that using more than 2 words makes this irrelevant.

This has now expanded far beyond my original point.

Random passphrase words are BETTER yes (but my post was not covering all cases, only comparing the two items I posted)

so the below passphrase is of course better, random words (gaga is a word damnit!) instead of a sentence about my dogs cheese addiction but I keep the length

ladylowgagalightwantsexytime

Your advice on having a longer passphrase that is made up of a not common sequence is a good idea & currently proven to be quite effective.
Complexity to a human is very different than complexity to a machine due to the way human memory can chain structures together with specific memory triggers. The only thing I would suggest is that if you put in a bit of non-standard punctuation, spacing, spelling and capitalization based on a personal preference, that increases the complexity to a machine exponentially while being a minor point for the human remembering it.

That being said, I personally hate how all the head in the clouds "security" types always are trying to make passwords harder for people and such and blaming people for not having "complicated enough" passwords, when they should be going hard after the companies that just leave the back door open for the hackers to come and grab the databases of all the passwords and user details & have at it.
Your complicated password doesn't matter when the hackers got it handed to them in a database.
Companies then hide the hacks for as long as they can because "reputation" and such.

Essentially what it comes down to, is you can't trust that the company you have the account with will actually do anything significant to keep that information secure. So you have to be able to pick a password different for each site and be able to remember / store / write it somewhere in some efficient manner, because most likely at least some of the sites you use WILL loose your information to hackers and it may be put into scripts trying to hack anything and everything that responds.

While not totally effective, at least Chrome and Edge try to help prod folks by letting you see reminders about password re-use and linking to password breaches for large scale events.

Reactions: kenny1773
password_strength.png

Bought the oldest daughter a new computer for Christmas when she was 15.
She had trouble with something - and had to tell me the password so I could try and fix the problem.
Her password was: PaRENTS#Suck!
I thought it was hysterical.
She was terrified.
Perfect!

A standardized format for posting would help a lot any post that doesn’t follow it gets automatically deleted.

WTS/WTB/WTT
MAKE MODEL
PRICE
FIRST PUBLIC “I’LL TAKE IT” TRUMPS ANY PMs.

But what the he’ll do I know!

so with my laptop remembering my password on each site, what's the big deal with just typing in different rubberish passwords on each website/forum? i can see that if you access a site sometimes with laptop and sometimes with phone that you'd need to enter the pw on both, with rubberish of course being a pita to write down and re-enter.

Bought the oldest daughter a new computer for Christmas when she was 15.
She had trouble with something - and had to tell me the password so I could try and fix the problem.
Her password was: PaRENTS#Suck!
I thought it was hysterical.
She was terrified.
Perfect!

Damn, better than my wife's password: IneedAnother2inches

so with my laptop remembering my password on each site, what's the big deal with just typing in different rubberish passwords on each website/forum? i can see that if you access a site sometimes with laptop and sometimes with phone that you'd need to enter the pw on both, with rubberish of course being a pita to write down and re-enter.

The downside to that is that you need to write your passwords down incase your have to clear all your browser data or use it on a different device.
Now some browsers like Chrome will suggest a password for you that is gibberish and then if you use it, they will save it to your Google account so it can be used on other devices if you sign in.

There are both pros and cons to this approach.

In nearly 30 years of using the interwebs (knock on wood), I have never had an account hacked or compromised through any fault of my own. I always use a different username and password on every site. I use Firefox, and they have a random password generator which I use. My Firefox account is linked on all my devices so I don't have to remember passwords. All my devices are password protected as well. This and the fact that I trust no one, has kept me from getting scammed all these years ;)

• Love
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I'v used password for all my accounts and never had a problem and have never forgotten what my password was.

Your advice on having a longer passphrase that is made up of a not common sequence is a good idea & currently proven to be quite effective.
Complexity to a human is very different than complexity to a machine due to the way human memory can chain structures together with specific memory triggers. The only thing I would suggest is that if you put in a bit of non-standard punctuation, spacing, spelling and capitalization based on a personal preference, that increases the complexity to a machine exponentially while being a minor point for the human remembering it.

That being said, I personally hate how all the head in the clouds "security" types always are trying to make passwords harder for people and such and blaming people for not having "complicated enough" passwords, when they should be going hard after the companies that just leave the back door open for the hackers to come and grab the databases of all the passwords and user details & have at it.
Your complicated password doesn't matter when the hackers got it handed to them in a database.
Companies then hide the hacks for as long as they can because "reputation" and such.

Essentially what it comes down to, is you can't trust that the company you have the account with will actually do anything significant to keep that information secure. So you have to be able to pick a password different for each site and be able to remember / store / write it somewhere in some efficient manner, because most likely at least some of the sites you use WILL loose your information to hackers and it may be put into scripts trying to hack anything and everything that responds.

While not totally effective, at least Chrome and Edge try to help prod folks by letting you see reminders about password re-use and linking to password breaches for large scale events.

Yes, agree 100% you can add complexity to the 28-30 character passphrase to make it even better, I was not suggesting otherwise
mydoglikestoeatcheddarcheese is not as good as Myd0glikestoeatCheddarCheese!

but that takes away from my basic point a little, go with the simple non-complex longer password over the more complex significantly shorter one.

I was just trying to compare two very specific examples I typed, not cover the entire spectrum of all password possibilities :)

the 28 character all lover case is a better deal for most people than the complex H@xx0r*! style password at a small 10-11 character length. Randomness does not beat length when we are talking about a length change of 10 vs 28

The days of OMG you have a ^^ in your password now it is crack proof are long gone...

Serious players don't even give a shit you have a password...