• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Plinking fun: What do you do for a relaxed or lazy shooting day?

DMascari18

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2017
Charlotte NC
I'm curious to know what y'all do for fun when you just want to go plink. My personal favorite is going to the dollar store and get the cheap plastic army men, cowboys, dinosaurs, etc. and set them up a 30 to 50 yards and blast away.

Personally any shooting day is a relaxing day for me. Yesterday we started at 1,000 and moved the target back to 1291. 1291 was a stretch for my 20 inch 260 but I was able to connect rather easily.

Hard to beat reactive targets of any type. Obvouisly steel but small ballons filled with flour, paper type mouthwash cups stapled to cardboard with a paintball glued inside, clay pigeons, 1" diameter childs chalk cut down and attached to fishing line then hung so it moves around. Still working on a travel size (small), pressurized can of hairspray with a candle or two burning near it so it goes up in a ball of flames.

Hard to beat reactive targets of any type. Obvouisly steel but small ballons filled with flour, paper type mouthwash cups stapled to cardboard with a paintball glued inside, clay pigeons, 1" diameter childs chalk cut down and attached to fishing line then hung so it moves around. Still working on a travel size (small), pressurized can of hairspray with a candle or two burning near it so it goes up in a ball of flames.

The hairspray is great. haha.

For the past five years I have been trying to perfect my shooting (both rimfire and cenrefire)...spending hours at the range and leaving either feeling great...or frustrated..like the day a couple of weeks ago when after about 3 good groups with the .308 and then it went to hell and I realized I left my scope tightening wrenches at home...20mi away.
Last year we bought a Henry .22...just to plink with and go rabbit hunting with.
Had so much fun, chasing a reactive target around the field...and not frustrating as when I shoot for groups.
Liked it so much that I bought a Sharps 45-70 this spring. Hitting a 10" steel plate at 100m is way more fun that some sub moa group at 300m with a 12lb gun/scope combo.
IMO anyway :)

Those soft orange targets on a brim and make them 'walk' around. I'd love to find a 22lr dueling tree that wasn't that expensive and easy to transport.

We have a bunch of spinners going up the hill that we shoot with 22rf's and PCP air rifles. I just added to our range a 8 plate KYL rack at 50Y. Not easy clearing it since the last two are 1/2" and 1/4".

Match sticks and shooting playing cards sideways are fun.