• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Plugging an AR gas port

MrSmith

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2009
4<
I have a subsonic wildcat AR I'm putting together. I set it up with a carbine gas port. I want to change it to a pistol length port to increase port pressure. Is there a way to plug the carbine port and just redrill? Thread, epoxy in a screw/bolt? I currently only have about 6K psi (calculated) at the port and .20" bbl wall. I would rather not buy the new barrel until I can show proof of concept.

Anyone done anything that worked?

Thank you,
MrSmith

Yea, the propper way would be to weld and redrill. Just hit it with a mig gun. You could also open up the port if you dont need port placement for some reason.

wire weld does fine. I question the pistol gas setup though. Might be fun to experiment, but the pressures and dwell time is usually problematic.

Not for subsonic rounds. Pistol gas is the way to go.

Reference 300 Blk for example. Or I could point to several wildcats of my own, where pistol gas was the best way to have them cycle subsonics.