• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF P308 FTF problems

Jeffjoiner5

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2014
St Marys, GA
Alright guys, had a difficult day today at the range. I set out to test some loads I put together to try and find the sweet spot for my new rifle. Before today, I have only put about 50 rounds through her and they were all 147g milsurp.

After shooting the first 50 with 3 FTF/FTE problems I gave the chamber and bolt a good scrubbing. I also added a PRS stock and rifle length buffer, tube, and spring.

When I got to the range today I had 3 different loads to test. 35 rounds of each. I went through the first mag with 1-2 FTF problems. The cases ejected fine and the bolt closed without a new round chambering. OK. Second mag(different load and magazine) had similar problems with a few rounds getting jammed by the bolt without completely feeding leaving the bolt about halfway closed hitting the brass about midway the round. 3rd magazine did the same. The spent round always ejected but the new round would either jam in the chamber or the bolt would close completely without a new round. The problem got worse as I continued, probably functioning properly about 50% of the time. After I fired all 105 hand loads I loaded up 10 factory rounds just hoping it was something with the loads....wrong. The rifle cycled properly only twice in those last 10 rounds. I am extremely disappointed.

So, help me out. Could it be that the buffer spring that I received isn't stiff enough? Why would it get worse the more rounds I send through it or was that just luck? Anyone have any issues with the mag well not seating the mags properly?

Anything you guys have to offer that may be of assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Did your POF have the same problems with the original stock? If it did not I would look at the buffer and spring you used to install the PRS stock. I have a PRS on mine and have not had any problems. The only other variable would be the ammo but you have tried various loads and factory ammo so that's probably not the cause.

I only shot 50 rounds before changing the stock. I had 2-3 problems and they were all out of one magazine, both FTF and FTE but I hoped it was just a fluke. I swapped the stock and have since bought two more mags(Pmags) and had problems with all 3 mags today.

Jeffjoiner5 ,hi please look at your gas system - see if all is clear and piston ops rod is free travel to the bolt carrier .....and what buffer spring are you using ?

I would agree looking at the piston and making sure of what position it's in.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I only shot 50 rounds before changing the stock. I had 2-3 problems and they were all out of one magazine, both FTF and FTE but I hoped it was just a fluke. I swapped the stock and have since bought two more mags(Pmags) and had problems with all 3 mags today.

I have a friend that had the same problems you are having. Tried all the steps you did including looking at the piston. He finally got it fixed but it required sending it back to POF 2X. I'd give the a call.

I'm not sure of the specific spring, bought rifle length buffer, tube, and spring as a kit with the PRS stock. I'll see if I can find out but I was told they are all the same.

I know the piston moves freely because it slides back and forth when the bolt is locked back. I'm assuming that's normal? This is my first piston rifle, so I'm quite the noob.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do those POF Rifles have adjustable gas blocks? Just sounds exactly like what I've experienced with my Colt Comp if I switch to a lighter load and don't open the adjustment a little. If you load one round in a mag will it lock back fully after firing?

On my POF308 with PRS stock, my buffer tube oal is 10-1/8, spring oal is 12-1/2, buffer oal is 5-3/8.

Yes the POF has a suppressor switch.

Do those POF Rifles have adjustable gas blocks? Just sounds exactly like what I've experienced with my Colt Comp if I switch to a lighter load and don't open the adjustment a little. If you load one round in a mag will it lock back fully after firing?

Yes, it always locks back after the last round with a mag in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the same problem with mine. Called POF and they instructed me to perform a specific cleaning sequence exactly as outlined in this video:

POF Basic Cleaning - YouTube

I was skeptical (especially the part about the drill), but it has ran like a sewing machine ever since. As a footnote, the guy at POF that I spoke to gave the impression that he fields these calls often and that the cleaning sequence always works. Hope this helps.

Does anybody read this stuff, with only 50 rounds or less why would everyone want to clean the gun. I have watched the video over an over, it just makes me grimace in pain. No power tools in my gun cleaning.
Could it be the gun.

Right on! I feel the gas operated still have many "bugs" to be worked out, thus get a good piston system (I've had a HK 556 A1 for several years with nary an issue and rarely have to clean it, but don't shoot suppressed).

Last edited:
Right on! I feel the gas operated still have many "bugs" to be worked out, thus get a good piston system (I've had a HK 556 A1 for several years with nary an issue and rarely have to clean it, but don't shoot suppressed).

Pof is a piston

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I purchased a new POF 308 a couple of weeks ago and took it out today for the first time to function fire it. I followed POF's video and cleaned the chamber with a drill/brush and I am happy to report that it functioned 100% this afternoon. It looks as though the accuracy potential will be high and hopefully once I mount my scope this week I can report back.

I cleaned my new POF using the above video upon receipt of my POF P308 in March 2013 and it has never once had a single FTF or FTE. I have shot everything from milsurp to various Match grade 168gr and 175gr ammo. Submoa and best group is 0.53".

I also switched out the stock for a UBR and called POF who sent me the correct spring and buffer. They told me to many people call complaining their rifle has issues after changing stocks due to using incorrect buffer or spring. I am not saying that is your issue, just stating it might be wise to call POF and see what they say. Cody sent me the spring and buffer because he said he wanted to make sure my rifle ran 100% error free with my new UBR stock.

Here's a link to POF's website Technical Help section. Gives info on cleaning your new gun before shooting as well as detailed info and pictures regarding buffers and springs you should be using.

https://www.pof-usa.com/technical.html

Hopefully you get it worked out.

Ok guys. Called POF a few days ago to try and get some insight. I had cleaned it before I had these problems but Jeremy urged me to clean it again and be sure to get a good layer of oil on the contact points of the BCG and the lug. Did basically the cleaning procedure seen on the video above. Took the rifle out yesterday to see how she shot and re-sight my scope because I slid it back on the rail. I am happy to report that it functioned perfectly through a whole magazine of the same mil surp ammo that wouldn't feed the last time. It also put a some nice groups on paper, all about 3/4 moa with the best 4 shot group being 1" at 200 yards. Hopefully this fixed the issue for good, I think I didn't oil it good enough when I cleaned it the first time.

Glad to hear. They are tight and need to be cleaned and oiled up for the first 200 rds to break it in.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4

I have a friend that had the same problems you are having. Tried all the steps you did including looking at the piston. He finally got it fixed but it required sending it back to POF 2X. I'd give the a call.

Your friend was lucky. A guy I know sent his back and forth three times and it still won't run right. The last time we were out with it after it came back the last time it couldn't get through one mag without 6-7 malfunctions. It easily has 300 rounds through it.

After that he stuck it in the back of the safe because he couldn't convince himself to sell it to anybody and bought a MWS. The MWS has been 100% since round one and shoots better too.

I have over 500 rounds through my POF in 308, and I have not had a single issue.

Cleaned when new, lubed with Froglube, and shot it a bunch. Typical range day is about 150-200 rounds.

Good for you, must be 2 1/2 days of spray & pray in full auto, 150-200 rounds a day.

Good to hear that worked for you Jeff. I've had two POF barrels on mine and both ran Hornady TAP 155 , Southwest 118LR. Southwest Run & Gun, FGMM 168 and 175 and Copper Creek gas gun loads into groups that were always less than an inch for 5 shots groups. The Copper Creek shoots the best in my 16" out of all of those I've tested, consistently around 3/4" at 100. They both even ran USA ammo 175's but it didn't group as well as the others. I didn't have to use the drill cleaning method in the video for my P308 but I've done it to plenty of AR15's with dirty chambers and it works really well.

Good for you, must be 2 1/2 days of spray & pray in full auto, 150-200 rounds a day.

No, just normal aimed fire. About 2/3 on the 100 yard range, and the remainder at 300.

And when I say no issues, that's what I mean. Not one single failure to feed, fire, or extract.

All manufacturers are capable of making an occasional off-quality product, and I'm not saying that you didn't have a problem, but your experience is not typical to people I know that own a POF.