• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

POF ROGUE Vs SIG 716 tread

tmertz

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2020
Looking to get an ar in 308, and I have been look really hard at the Pod rogue and the sig 716i tread. I want a do all rifle that can be used in pretty much any roll, a jack of all trades sort of deal. I will be using a surpressor on it, and I was thinking a primary arms glx acss raptor for the optic. Would love some opinions from people who have owned or used either of these rifle, or companies.
I am also open to suggestions on other rifle in the price range. TIA!

Reactions: GLD1980
I had a Rogue for a while, it was very nearly AR-15 sized and shot well for it's rediculously light weight (5.9lb?).

I also intended to use mine pretty much always suppressed as a hunting rifle, but could never get it tuned to run really well with a can. I started out with an SA gas block (have had good luck with .223 and 6.5 G), but it seemed like it could not bleed off enough gas for this system. Went to their Dictator gas block, and it was fine but the window between running reliably and what I consider to be over gassed was pretty narrow with a can mounted. In think it was a timing issue due to the mid-length gas that couldn't satisfactorily be corrected by choking off flow with an AGB. Unsuppressed it was fine, and it was very lightweight, but if I built/bought another AR-10 for suppressed use, I would definitely want it to have an intermediate gas system in that barrel length, or rifle gas system in an 18".

Thanks for the info! I m leaning towards the pof based on weight and the option to get and adjustable gas system easily( wish that had a 18 barrel with a rifle length system). What kind of accuracy did you get out of yours? How was the recoil?

I thought the accuracy was excellent after a little load work given what the rifle is, it's work to shoot a 6lb semi-auto .308 for groups. Took some technique modification to keep from doubling the light-sh trigger while shooting from the bench for me. I guess that's another downside I noticed, there wasn't room in the trigger area to install a LaRue MBT two stage which I like. The trigger that comes with it is plenty decent for the task though. The bizarre 8 twist barrel didn't seem to hurt anything I think the DI Revolutions have a longer gas system, so that might be an option. Here it is below my 16" 6.5 Grendel for scale

IMG_20200524_093028851~01.jpg
IMG_20200605_173017155~01.jpg
IMG_20200606_175913798~01.jpg

Reactions: tmertz
plenty of neg reviews on the rogue so buyer beware. Of the two, the Sig but I'd look around a little more

Reactions: tmertz
I have both the POF Revolution .308 pistol and carbine I run suppressed for night hunting. The weight factor being the primary reason I was drawn to the platform due to the lengthy stalking we can get into. Both have been accurate as well as reliable…at least with the Hornady ELDxs and Nosler Accubonds I normally use. To run the Rogue suppressed you will need to add an adjustable gas block which will put you up close in weight to the Revolution. I really like the adjustable gas block they use so consider just going with the Rev if you are for sure running suppressed.

I also recently acquired a Sig 716i for having a unsuppressed .308 to shoot a wider variety ammo….especially fun plinking with milspec fmj 7.62…..which is what this platform was primarily designed to do. But I cannot report yet on function….Santa is holding my scope till Christmas😁From what I have read swapping the gas block out is kind of a PIA due to pinning and size of the hand guard…..which is slender and does not leave a lot of space between it and the gas block. I have no plans to do this with mine.

AR10s have come a long way in the past 8 years or so since I first had a beastly (yet very reliable) RRA LAR-8 so as someone mentioned above check what else is out there as well. The weight savings with the Rogue will be moot if reliability is not there for your intended purpose.

Reactions: GLD1980 and tmertz
plenty of neg reviews on the rogue so buyer beware. Of the two, the Sig but I'd look around a little more
What rifle would you recommend? I have seen the bad reviews and that is honestly the biggest reason to consider the sig.

I thought the accuracy was excellent after a little load work given what the rifle is, it's work to shoot a 6lb semi-auto .308 for groups. Took some technique modification to keep from doubling the light-sh trigger while shooting from the bench for me. I guess that's another downside I noticed, there wasn't room in the trigger area to install a LaRue MBT two stage which I like. The trigger that comes with it is plenty decent for the task though. The bizarre 8 twist barrel didn't seem to hurt anything I think the DI Revolutions have a longer gas system, so that might be an option. Here it is below my 16" 6.5 Grendel for scale

View attachment 7742453View attachment 7742454
Thanks for sharing you experience, that is perfectly acceptable accuracy from a rifle of this sort. Did you have any proble with yours beside the gas system being hard to tune?

I have both the POF Revolution .308 pistol and carbine I run suppressed for night hunting. The weight factor being the primary reason I was drawn to the platform due to the lengthy stalking we can get into. Both have been accurate as well as reliable…at least with the Hornady ELDxs and Nosler Accubonds I normally use. To run the Rogue suppressed you will need to add an adjustable gas block which will put you up close in weight to the Revolution. I really like the adjustable gas block they use so consider just going with the Rev if you are for sure running suppressed.

I also recently acquired a Sig 716i for having a unsuppressed .308 to shoot a wider variety ammo….especially fun plinking with milspec fmj 7.62…..which is what this platform was primarily designed to do. But I cannot report yet on function….Santa is holding my scope till Christmas😁From what I have read swapping the gas block out is kind of a PIA due to pinning and size of the hand guard…..which is slender and does not leave a lot of space between it and the gas block. I have no plans to do this with mine.

AR10s have come a long way in the past 8 years or so since I first had a beastly (yet very reliable) RRA LAR-8 so as someone mentioned above check what else is out there as well. The weight savings with the Rogue will be moot if reliability is not there for your intended purpose.
I originally was looking in to a revolution di, then I saw the rogue and thought that it fit the bill for what I am looking for at a better price point even if I had to upgrade the gas system. Do you have any other suggestions for for a rifle?

What rifle would you recommend? I have seen the bad reviews and that is honestly the biggest reason to consider the sig.
Give your top dollar and then we'll find a rifle. The sig may be a pig in lipstick as well given the specs but, reviews are solid

Top dollar?

Reactions: GLD1980
Give your top dollar and then we'll find a rifle. The sig may be a pig in lipstick as well given the specs but, reviews are solid

Top dollar?
Well how much does it take to get a good rifle? $ 2500 do it ? I was trying to stay around $2500 for rifles and optic, but if it’s really worth it to spend more on the rifle I could probably swing a little more cash towards it .

Give them a penny, and the guys here will spend your last dollar.

More than just top dollar, spec out exactly what you want in a rifle. Then let 'em go. They'll still spend the kids' college fund, but it will be for a rifle you want...

Well how much does it take to get a good rifle? $ 2500 do it ? I was trying to stay around $2500 for rifles and optic, but if it’s really worth it to spend more on the rifle I could probably swing a little more cash towards it .
for 2500 you could buy a lmt mws on this board with about 100rds down the pipe and you won't get better (have/had both kac and lmt and I like the lmt better but flip a coin). boom you are done. If not buying those, then buy a Aero M5, you won't be dissapointed and can be had for less than 1500. I rather than that the Sig or any of the sub 2k rifles. Law of diminishing returns does apply

Optics are depraciating, you can always get a good optic on the board for less imho.

Reactions: thedude824
Give them a penny, and the guys here will spend your last dollar.

More than just top dollar, spec out exactly what you want in a rifle. Then let 'em go. They'll still spend the kids' college fund, but it will be for a rifle you want...
agree but not me. If not buying a lmt or kac, then I go best bang for the buck which to me would be M5

I originally was looking in to a revolution di, then I saw the rogue and thought that it fit the bill for what I am looking for at a better price point even if I had to upgrade the gas system. Do you have any other suggestions for for a rifle?
Not for a factory built light weight firearm. There are threads on here you can research where folks have built their own and have gotten weight down.

As far as higher end quality, LMT or KAC set the bar. I do not have experience with either. I think there may be an LMT for sale on the exchange right now. They seem more prevalent than the KAC.

I'd personally spend a bit more on the Revolution DI over the Rogue, no experience with the Sig but I've never been a fan and it's about two pounds heavier and physically larger overall. You get a number of improvements with the Revolution and quality control seems to be far better. I have a few thousand rounds through my Revolution and it's run flawlessly the whole time with everything I've thrown at it. I'm now suppressed and the way to go with any AR is a flow-through design. I'm running the OSS HD-7.62Ti and couldn't be happier as it functions the same with the can on or off (so it may work really well with the Rogue and it's also POF's preferred suppressor). I think the barrel on the Revolution is of a higher specification as well. You get the full ambidextrous controls, billet upper/lower, adjustable gas block, tighter tolerances, a coated BCG and generally everything is slightly higher spec. It's also a 16" rifle-length gas system. According to POF, the Rogue twist rate is designed for higher weight bullets so that may be a consideration for you.

I've been experimenting with various bullet weights and I've shot everything from 147gr. up to 200 Gr. ELD-X. I'd say the rifle tends to like bullets in the 160-180 gr. range although it'll do well with lower weight bullets in the 150 range. I'm still trying to see if I can dial in a 200 grain and I've not tried any 110 grain rounds yet but those sound really fun. I've managed to get sub-MOA with everything from 150 grain up to a 167 with relative ease (4064 or less so with Varget).

I think the ACSS reticles are decent (I have two) but I've found the point at the tip of the arrow a bit nebulous and prefer a precision dot for hunting and load development. For run and gun, I'd lean towards an ACSS. Only thing I'm planning on changing is going to a Scalarworks scope mount as it'll handle recoil better than the Aero Precision I have on there now. I've briefly debated going with a 12.5" barrel (and a Form 1) but I've managed to hold off as I don't want to loose too much velocity.

Reactions: tmertz and BamaSE
I would go 6.5 Grendel for your purposes. Having shot comparable systems, there are very few reasons I can see anyone choosing 308 over 6.5 Grendel. If you DO absolutely need a large frame 308 I would go with an Aero M5 build (and anticipate some hiccups) or an ADM. Having several Aero builds, Colt, Geissele, and ADM I can honestly state that the ADM is worth every penny especially on non-uniform large frame AR10 systems. Having built/upgraded 10 AR systems Ive learned the hard way. Build it once. Build it exactly how you want it. The Criteron barrels ADM uses blew me away. I haven't seen the POF, but the bad reviews are enough for me. I dont want to troubleshoot something I just spent $1500 buying. My brother has a couple Sig and Springfield rifles and I would choose an Aero build over them without question. With Aero you get great quality receivers and can go with a high quality trigger and adjustable gas from the start.
Or buy this and having nothing to replace/tinker with

I'd personally spend a bit more on the Revolution DI over the Rogue, no experience with the Sig but I've never been a fan and it's about two pounds heavier and physically larger overall. You get a number of improvements with the Revolution and quality control seems to be far better. I have a few thousand rounds through my Revolution and it's run flawlessly the whole time with everything I've thrown at it. I'm now suppressed and the way to go with any AR is a flow-through design. I'm running the OSS HD-7.62Ti and couldn't be happier as it functions the same with the can on or off (so it may work really well with the Rogue and it's also POF's preferred suppressor). I think the barrel on the Revolution is of a higher specification as well. You get the full ambidextrous controls, billet upper/lower, adjustable gas block, tighter tolerances, a coated BCG and generally everything is slightly higher spec. It's also a 16" rifle-length gas system. According to POF, the Rogue twist rate is designed for higher weight bullets so that may be a consideration for you.

I've been experimenting with various bullet weights and I've shot everything from 147gr. up to 200 Gr. ELD-X. I'd say the rifle tends to like bullets in the 160-180 gr. range although it'll do well with lower weight bullets in the 150 range. I'm still trying to see if I can dial in a 200 grain and I've not tried any 110 grain rounds yet but those sound really fun. I've managed to get sub-MOA with everything from 150 grain up to a 167 with relative ease (4064 or less so with Varget).

I think the ACSS reticles are decent (I have two) but I've found the point at the tip of the arrow a bit nebulous and prefer a precision dot for hunting and load development. For run and gun, I'd lean towards an ACSS. Only thing I'm planning on changing is going to a Scalarworks scope mount as it'll handle recoil better than the Aero Precision I have on there now. I've briefly debated going with a 12.5" barrel (and a Form 1) but I've managed to hold off as I don't want to loose too much velocity.

I’m

i agree the revolution is a nicer rifle, but the only feature it has over the rogue that is important to me is the adjustable gasblock. I decided to to just go with the rogue and order the adjustable gasblock from pof. The weight is what really made lean towards the pof.

I would go 6.5 Grendel for your purposes. Having shot comparable systems, there are very few reasons I can see anyone choosing 308 over 6.5 Grendel. If you DO absolutely need a large frame 308 I would go with an Aero M5 build (and anticipate some hiccups) or an ADM. Having several Aero builds, Colt, Geissele, and ADM I can honestly state that the ADM is worth every penny especially on non-uniform large frame AR10 systems. Having built/upgraded 10 AR systems Ive learned the hard way. Build it once. Build it exactly how you want it. The Criteron barrels ADM uses blew me away. I haven't seen the POF, but the bad reviews are enough for me. I dont want to troubleshoot something I just spent $1500 buying. My brother has a couple Sig and Springfield rifles and I would choose an Aero build over them without question. With Aero you get great quality receivers and can go with a high quality trigger and adjustable gas from the start.
Or buy this and having nothing to replace/tinker with
I really want the energy of 308 and I can always find 308 Ammo. 6.5 grendel is to much of a niche round for my taste. The adm is a nice rifle, but it’s to heavy for what I want out of this rifle

Reactions: wdnoynksl34
awaiting my cgs hyperion then determining if a gas block is needed for my rogue...if so I'm trying a SLR first since it's much lighter than the pof brand

Realistically you'll have about a 300 difference between the two after you put a better trigger in the sig. I like the design of the 716 more than the rogue.

308s to me have always been a love-hate because if you get a 308 carbine a 223 carbine is lighter, cheaper, easier to shoot, does the same thing pretty much, if you have a target 308 eventually you'll want a 6.5 creedmoor or a 6.5-284 depending on your discipline etc. I've had larue predatar, POF 308s, PWS 308, aeros I built, DPMS SASS, sold em all eventually.