• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Portable PLRF "Reflector" - Reflective Material?

ELR researcher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2011
www.elr-resources.com
I am interested in building a simple reflector for use withmy Terrapin in setting up steel or paper targets at very long, unknowndistances (out to about 3500-4000 yards). The basic idea is to staple some "reflective material" betweena pair of 1" x 6', pointed, wooden dowels. The resulting "defector" would then be temporarily hammered intothe ground long enough to range the distance and then on to the next targetlocation.

I e-mailed Vectronix but received no reply.

My question is what "reflective material" touse. I'd like to be able roll thematerial over one of the dowels, butting up to the other dowel, thus forming a longroll; then putting the roll into something like a 3-4" ID shipping tube.

I have considered various types of industrial metallic foilsbut they are quite expensive in thicknesses that could be rolled and unrolledmany times (.005 - .010). I'm now wonderingwhat more common materials might be the best for "reflectivity", andin what color and thickness - nylon, satin, silk, denim, etc?

"Reflective Material" suggestions would be appreciated. Please suggest the material, its "weight", and color.

Thanks!

Frank:

Thanks for the suggestion, however they are framed (i.e., panels that fold in the middle - don't roll up) and I have the dowels. Also $110 plus shipping is not what I had in mind.

I'm trying to focus on the material to use, not alternate solutions.

Thanks anyway.

Nate:

Thanks for the thought. I'd need to "tape" it onto something fairly firm - like foil - so my cost would be quite high.

Unclear from PLRF "tech" what material is best for really long distances. Your suggestion seems quite good in that regard - SWAG on my part.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Personally I love the reflector idea. I think the portable reflectors are brilliant.

That said, if you go during the early morning hours to set up your location you can get some amazing results.

Here is one on trees at 4180y taken with my iPhone so it kinda sucks
ate3e6aj.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Frank:

Sorry, I looked at the wrong dims on their spec page.

I'm not up to $120, shipped - or $110 if I could find them locally.

I think this can done for $30-$40, including the shipping tube. I "just" need to know what "reflective material" will give me the longest range.

Diver:

Talk about amazing. Wow! You were able to range to 4180 with a Terrapin? What objects did you range off of (size and material)? If those are buildings...back to my question.

Thanks.

$17.00 7' x5 ' space blanket. Weighs 12 ounces. Has the reinforced edges.

http://www.rei.com/product/407106/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-4071060000&space-all-weather-blanket&preferredSku=4071060000&mr:trackingCode=177F071B-81F9-DE11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=44272136440&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=61471562200&msid=PYbwRpnX_dc|pcrid|44272136440|&{copy:s_kwcid}#specsTab

Space blanket?

You're going to buy yourself more than $500 of frustration tying to save $100!

At one point, owning a production company, I know what the tiniest bit of wind will do any of these things!

I do have many hours of experience with these and up to 24' x 24'.. The huge 576'sq kites need so much structure to hold up to the tiniest of breeze. The aluminum infrastructure looks like it could support a train.

Frank is right, the reason to use these things are the spring steel frames keep the material small and light when needed and tight when deployed. One of the reasons you only find them fairly small, is that you jump up in support needs and sandbags go up exponentially !

The effectiveness relies on as little dispersion as possible. Getting a wrinkled piece of flapping space blanket or reflective material could be as bad as shooting at an angled roof or stealth fighter plane! You might find it works, I get that, but why haggle over 100 bucks when something so portable already exist? Then with just a tripod strapped your pack you are set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Diver:

You mised part of the OP. "...then be temporarily hammered into the ground long enough to range the distance and then on to the next target location." We can certainly keep it up and straight for enough time to range the distance and move on to the next target location. No intent to keep it flapping out there. The space blanket idea is a simple, smart suggestion - and IMHO worth trying. And it has other uses to boot. Thanks again, Jesse.

On the pic - using a Terrapin. Correct?

Glad you found it helpful.
You sound like you're set on using the dowels in a DIY kind of way.
I think Franks Idea is better but smell what you are stepping in.
Seems weird that you have the coin for a Terrapin but balk at spending a hundred bucks on a commercially produced reflector. I'm guessing you are a tinkler and it IS a DIY thing.
Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.
Geological surveying?

If needed I use a SMV sign, easy to store in a pack and works great to get a ping off of. Cheap cost wise as well.

Cheers

hmmmm I must be old school but I took a piece of cardboard (roughly 12"x12") and wrapped it in tin foil shinny side out, stapled it to a 1"x2" and hammered it into the ground it gives a hell of a signal return w/ my PLRF-10.

Jeffvn

Can you drive to your shooting location? If so work backwards. Go to each target location and shoot the truck. Put a 1x2 stake in the ground with distance and record location on a sketch.

Go talk to your local dot and see what they have for reflective material. They may have something for you if youre nice.

Xdeano

A license plate off a car works, as would a piece of road sign.

Yes, license plates work well. You don't just want something reflective, you want something that reflects straight back to the source no matter how it's angled. These are usually called corner reflectors. If you look at the reflectors on a bicycle there are many little cubes that create the right-angle corners that reflect straight back like this. I think the reflective tapes and license plates have glass beads that do the same thing. If you could perfectly aim a regular mirror it would work, but tilt the mirror slightly and it will bounce the IR somewhere else.

Last edited:
I've used the Amazon cheapy photo reflectors tethered to rebar Amazon.com: photography reflectors

We were using a cheap LRF and effectively doubled its stated range.
If you have a good LRF this might be an option.
Taking note of Cory's post you might need a couple for the really long stuff.

[h=1]Krylon K09955 Glass Sphere Clear Industrial Reflect-A-Lite Reflective[/h]http://www.planesafeproducts.com/storefront/Krylon-Reflect-a-liteClear-Spray-PaintsClear-Reflective-Spray-Paint-16-Oz12-Oz-Fill-P-159005

I think you're mistaken discounting diamond grade reflective road sign material. I don't think you can find much better. You wouldn't have to buy aluminum backed signs, but you could just buy the "direct apply" material (i.e. a tough thick sticker) from someone like rocal or lyle signs. You could also pick up a roll up sign and base from someone like traffix devices... Might be better than having to beat dowels into the ground?

Also, the word others were looking for was retroreflective - when the light bounces back to the light source regardless of angle, highly advisable you choose something with this property.

Just go buy a roll of Scotchlight white (or red or blue or orange) tape 3" wide and apply it to a piece of plywood. Multiple strips can make the target as big as you want.

Follow-up and Field Report

First an update on what I turned up using for my"reflector". Here is the bill of material:

(2) 1"OD x 6' wooden dowels (from Lowes - Shop Madison Mill 1-in x 6-ft Round Poplar Dowel at Lowes.com=), $5.98 ea; total $13.04 (taxed)

(1) 7.5' x5.5' HD silver reflective tarp (from Harbor Freight - 5 ft. 6'' x 7 ft. 6" Reflective Heavy Duty Silver Tarp), ($4.99 on typical sale) $5.44 (taxed)

(4)15" strips of 3/4" wide Velcro strap material (from Amazon - Amazon.com: Cblwhl Velcro Cable Tie Roll, 3/4 - Inch x 5 yards: Electronics), $5.18, shipped, for 5 yards, total $1.89 (taxed)

(<72)1/4", T-50 staples (local), <$5.00 for 1250, total $0.31 (taxed)

Total material BOM cost: $20.68 (taxed)

Labor (assembly - old, very slow assembler): 104 minutes

Now the field report.

I scanned maps on mapquest and used their satellite view to help me locate a very long, very straight, and very uninhabited stretch in the southern California "high desert". I found one that was roughly six miles long with a steady uphill incline. It took my daughter and me about a half an hour to set up - we were near the top of a ridge and the wind was significant. Finally had to secure one end to a handy speed limit sign with my daughter pulling hard on the other end, right at the side of the roadway. [Had my Kestrel but didn't take the time to use it as that was not part of the plan.]

Since my primary mission was to test the range of my TargetCam (separate thread), I only took readings at trip-odometer, mile-marks. One mile was no issue - of course, since the Terrapin is rated for 2400m - and I recorded four (4) identical readings at my"two mile" mark, 3626 yards (somewhat longer than two miles by the time I could bring my truck to a halt on fairly level, not inclined to the side, ground). At three miles there was no signal.

Bottom line, a cheap and effective approach but you need to plan ahead to use it because of the large surface area being a problem with wind.

Just thought I'd throw this out there. The last couple times I have shot beyond the range of my range finder I used my gps to get the range. I'm going to experiment at closer ranges to compare the gps to my range finder but on my first couple tries with the gps it appears to be giving a pretty accurate distance.

For reflective material, I was thinking a Silva Tarp. We used to used them when tree planting to protect the trees from the heat of the sun in open clear cuts. They are white on the outside and silver on the inside.

Accur-Aim.jpg

Go to Laser Devices - A division of STEINER look up Accu-Aim, you can purchase the target or the Squares. Relatively inexpensive. These work really well for bore sighting weapon mounted lasers i.e DBALs or PEQs as well as LRFs. My experience, license plates work well also. I was the Lead systems engineer for USMC for Targeting devices (i.e Common Laser Rangefinders, Vectors-V21A- and V21B etc.) Be care for on STOP signs the Laser will sometimes bounce around in the retroflective materials and result in a crazy answer.