• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Portable shooting bench

GreenMushroom

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2020
Washington
Winters coming and I'm tired of shoot in the mud.

Leaning towards the legacy. US made, lightweight, adjustable legs, and affordable. Not a ton of reviews but what's out there but what is seems positive.

DOA looks interesting but there's a lot going on there plus heavier and more expensive.

The Royal Stukey seems like the gold standard but heavy and $$$.

Will be shooting 556 gas guns out to 600.

I'm looking really hard at one of these
My wife bought me this one to use at our deer lease and its really solid, folds up nice and compact. Would definitely recommend it especially at that price!!

What are you using the bench for? Target shooting or hunting?
Targets, mostly sighting in guns or verifying sight in.

Edit to add.. I thought this was directed at me. My bad! I'll leave it here though as this is what I use the Caldwell bench linked above for if anyone is wondering.

Last edited:
Do you have to carry it? If yes, how far?

You could make a three or four-legged heavy bench that you could disassemble/reassemble.

All rotating benches have some slop in them and rock a bit. I own this one for varmint shooting: X-Ecutor 360 Swivel Shooting Bench

Here is an idea if you want to o DIY: https://www.larrywillis.com/shootingbench.html

That DIY one would be much more stable for pure target shooting.

Reactions: camocorvette
m61874758106_1.jpg

while not a table , one could find it everywhere on planet earth and it's free you don't have to carry it around no heavy lifting involved gravity working in your favor , but you could add it to a desk top and make your very own dirty shooting table with it two birds one stone .

You can also build one off of a sawhorse. These are built like the proverbial brick 💩 house: https://www.fultoncorp.com/professional-grade-sawhorse/

But the dead easiest thing I’ve shot off of is my brothers pickup bed cover. He bought a super stiff cover, not a vinyl fabric thing, and man that was easy to shoot prairie dogs of of. Had to stand, however, but you could lean into the truck.

If you would go the DIY sawhorse route, the aluminum Dewalt folding sawhorse is lighter then that stout Stablemate I linked to above. And you could use the saw brackets (included, but can buy without) to attach to a piece of plywood.

The quick-release top would allow for splitting the package if you have two people carrying.

Has a handle too. I own these; they are very good. Haven’t made a shooting table, though.

7208570C-92A7-46DD-9FC5-10B98D270634.jpeg

Anyway, those are my ideas.

Reactions: simonp
How terribly bouncy/inaccurate would a plastic 4' non folding table be? I have a 4' long non folding plastic table that I use for introducing beginners in a dirt bay at 25 yards with a .22LR to introduce them to firearms. (.22 bolt single round magazine load on bench -> .22 bolt full magazine on bench -> .22 bolt action long gun off the bench -> .22 bolt action semi off the bench -> .22 pistol on bench -> .22 pistol off bench).

But I've never used it for centerfire.

How terribly bouncy/inaccurate would a plastic 4' non folding table be? I have a 4' long non folding plastic table that I use for introducing beginners in a dirt bay at 25 yards with a .22LR to introduce them to firearms. (.22 bolt single round magazine load on bench -> .22 bolt full magazine on bench -> .22 bolt action long gun off the bench -> .22 bolt action semi off the bench -> .22 pistol on bench -> .22 pistol off bench).

But I've never used it for centerfire.
Re: plastic

If you go plastic, do not buy this: https://mtmcase-gard.com/products/predator-shooting-table-portable-benchrest

80F420CB-44E6-462B-9B40-9F29F3658413.jpeg

Seems good, but is too light. I own it and it is used as a cleaning table, stuck in a tiny storeroom.

This below, by the same company, is better. It’s fairly solid, but nothing like a picnic table or range bench. Or, for that matter, is it quite as solid as my rotating bench (linked to above). But it IS light. I’d sell you mine but I don’t want to ship it.

D5693D7D-B4E3-4CAB-9395-C99B6F299B49.jpeg

EDD8A506-55A5-4B9F-9679-5DF37815E99B.jpeg

The bottom setup was the most stable, but the sandbag is 14lbs.

If you do get a commercial bench, plan on extending it. Here is my bench in a few configs:

BD655FBA-3AA6-4627-807C-13CDF1F4BD03.jpeg
1942A39B-7D27-4284-BB06-849037F93D86.jpeg
074DD866-3AB7-44DC-95D9-D1FAF49A8955.jpeg
95692B12-BFD9-4A97-97D2-04249024A64A.jpeg
9608C6E3-094E-4276-81A9-33C4BCB93486.jpeg

I eventually landed upon using the sandbag with one board extension vs two in the pic. With my bench, I found that weight towards the rear made for less slop. Shooting downhill doesn’t work (too much slop).

The sandbag’s weight is really the deciding factor between the bipod and it. It’s windy where I shoot, and weight matters a lot.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of me at a 1 MOA steel shoot . Here I am shooting Here is a picture at a 1 MOA steel shoot . Here I am shooting off my DOA table. Had it for about 5 years no complaints. Take less the 5 min to setup or take down. Very well built. I did win this match that day.

JAN 23 1 MOA STEEL SHOOT.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
For reference I'm talking about the ones available at Costco not a shooting specific table.

I've never used a portable shooting table, The only ones I've used have all been bolted down

Reactions: carbonbased
With the MTM surveyor’s tripod above, you could buy a much better real surveyor’s fiberglass tripod and fashion a top for it.

Or buy a RRS TVC-33 tripod with a leveling head. That probable has the highest weight:stability setup. But it wouldn’t be quite as stable as my rotating bench…I own a RRS TFC-34 with a Arca Swiss B1 head and an Anvil-30, and for pure stability, my bench is better.

The absolute most stable tripod I have used is the McFadden, but production is in hold due to material prices getting out of hand. It looks low tech but the apex design is where it’s at. It’s heavy for a tripod, but way lighter than my bench. Hit a prairie dog at 422 yards with it this year.

Here is a picture of me at a 1 MOA steel shoot . Here I am shooting Here is a picture at a 1 MOA steel shoot . Here I am shooting off my DOA table. Had it for about 5 years no complaints. Take less the 5 min to setup or take down. Very well built.

View attachment 7939250
Is there any back and forth slop in that DOA? With the Caldwell BR-Pivot (another high-end rotating table) I know there is slop.

This one is the highest of the high-end rotating tables lol. $4300, 114 lbs. looks like the design was to mitigate slop.

C93FE682-E505-41BA-BE65-A4D424D0C6C7.jpeg

Reactions: camocorvette
i wonder if tent stakes and bungees are an option to lugging sandbags for stability.

I will take a few pics of mine Thursday when I go shoot. About $225 bucks into with angled flanges from a guy off Accurate Shooter who has been making them for years. Super stable, easily transportable and super comfy. I have an old ratchet strap from a tree stand I leave on for a bipod contact point and have indoor/outdoor glued and stapled. Here's the basic setup, but mine has 4 legs:

7eenoFk.jpeg
QKvNS7C.jpeg

I will take a few pics of mine Thursday when I go shoot. About $225 bucks into with angled flanges from a guy off Accurate Shooter who has been making them for years. Super stable, easily transportable and super comfy. I have an old ratchet strap from a tree stand I leave on for a bipod contact point and have indoor/outdoor glued and stapled. Here's the basic setup, but mine has 4 legs:

View attachment 7939255View attachment 7939256
If you don’t mind sharing, who is the maker? PM is need be.

That is a reasonable cost vs $1500-$1800 for the Stukey table of the same sort of design (Stukey’s is 70 lbs!). I’m sure the Stukey is a little bit more stable with its triangle bracing underneath (and 70 lbs!), but I’ll bet yours is just fine.

How much does yours weigh?

I'll have to dig through and find a thread, but if you go on accurate shooter and look up a few terms like 'portable shooting table plans' or maybe 'angled flanges' it will pull up. I remember his name is Lonny super nice guy. I'd say the top is 20 it's double plywood glued and screwed. I take the legs off and transport separately takes about a minute to thread on.

I didn’t see it mentions but have you considered a tripod. With a little practice shooting off a tripod can be incredibly accurate. It’s also much easier to carry and move and serves more purposes……. You could carry a folding camp chair and a tripod and be set.

I didn’t see it mentions but have you considered a tripod. With a little practice shooting off a tripod can be incredibly accurate. It’s also much easier to carry and move and serves more purposes……. You could carry a folding camp chair and a tripod and be set.

A rrs tripod is in my future but want a table for wife, friends ect. I ordered up the legacy so we'll see how that goes.

I was thinking a weight of some kind and a ratchet strap to the bottom of the table.
even just a hook so you can hang your gear bag (which i do on my tripod), if nature doesn't provide something you don't have to carry.

A rrs tripod is in my future but want a table for wife, friends ect. I ordered up the legacy so we'll see how that goes.
If you ordered the right-hand version, I’d suggest maybe changing your order to get this ambi version of the Legacy (still 45 lbs what the heck).

Why? When shooting from a bench, for accuracy Frank suggests squaring up to the bench and not getting sideways like most shooters get.

Plus, it’ll work for lefties too.

I didn’t see it mentions but have you considered a tripod.
Hey! I mentioned the RRS lol

Link??

Very solid as the table mount is snug and then you can tighten it up. I have shot both LR 1 moas steel shoots and ELR matched with out issue.

I'm looking really hard at one of these
I have shot off the two Cadwell heavy options, wood top and Stable table. Ovbiously the wood top is more stable but very heavy. I oWN THE STABLE TABLE and the ONLY negative in my opinion is that the post wobble is much greater than the better table. As you sit or get up, the top will move a fair amount forward or backward based on the weight shift. once seated, it is nice. I also love the cleaning inserts and the rim. The rim keeps things from rolling off the table fairly well. The cleaning inserts do the same and add some options. Midway offers a bag for it that works well. also the slots for the cleaning inserts make nice top carry handles. I have heard that nylon plumbing tape wrapped around the base pole stiffens it but I have not tried it.

Winters coming and I'm tired of shoot in the mud.

Leaning towards the legacy. US made, lightweight, adjustable legs, and affordable. Not a ton of reviews but what's out there but what is seems positive.

DOA looks interesting but there's a lot going on there plus heavier and more expensive.

The Royal Stukey seems like the gold standard but heavy and $$$.

Will be shooting 556 gas guns out to 600.
https://www.stukeysbenches.com Pricey, but VERY stable

You can also build one off of a sawhorse. These are built like the proverbial brick 💩 house: https://www.fultoncorp.com/professional-grade-sawhorse/

But the dead easiest thing I’ve shot off of is my brothers pickup bed cover. He bought a super stiff cover, not a vinyl fabric thing, and man that was easy to shoot prairie dogs of of. Had to stand, however, but you could lean into the truck.
I find shooting on a sprung vehicle suffers from wind movement....no way around it. Lower to the ground, the better....no exceptions.

I find shooting on a sprung vehicle suffers from wind movement....no way around it. Lower to the ground, the better....no exceptions.
Yeah, I agree IF you’re sitting/standing in the bed.

We were standing on the ground and leaning into the side of the bed, which was covered with a hard folding cover. So only one rifle and one sandbag was on the hard cover. There was ZERO movement of the car.

It’s the same as resting the rifle on the hood, which a million dudes have done for decades. Only his bed cover was very flat and nicer to deal with than a rounded hood.

Now if there was a 20-30mph wind, then there would’ve been some slight movement, especially if the wind was very gusty.

Go to the Salvation Army and pick up a old ironing board.
They’re height adjustable,light weight and cheap.
Plenty of room for sand bags.
While your heading to the Salvation Army look on the side of the road for the bags the road department uses to anchor there road signs.
Pick up a couple of those to sit on the legs to keep from rocking.
Your bench can be whatever you desire.
I use a cooler.

I bought a Legacy bench about 7 years ago. It’s a phenomenal product. I don’t use it much, since the range I go to has benches, but when I go shoot anywhere else, it’s nice to have.

A441E313-D5DD-4E45-8B6E-7E7DF6420710.jpeg
41B325DA-4A0E-43CC-83FE-4B73407B4B0F.jpeg

I ended up with the legacy as well and am very happy with it. Lots of fine adjustment in the legs to get it stable.
Very well thought out product.

20221007_103446.jpg

Reactions: FuhQ
My buddies and I are slowly building a 3-man shooting trailer. It’ll be a hell of a lot less than the 1-man thing they make for $12.5k lol.

If you're gonna do it......do it right. :p

View attachment 8346527
$16k in bench and trailer and then he uses a $20 super-pos tripod. I do like his bench, but it’s $4k and over 100lbs…Christ you need it bolted to a trailer just to make it practical.

And man, looks cold out in the photo. Look at his mittens.

I found this guy. His handle at accurate shooter is Lonny in ID and he made me 4 brackets for $70 in 2022. He doesn’t (or didn’t) have a website but pointed me to this post for a glimpse at his work:

I need to now actually make the bench! The brackets seem high quality and are solid.

Still happy with the Legacy? I am going to build a little range at my place and am about to order one. Thanks.

Been very happy with it. Used it quite a bit but I'm not a serious long range shooter so not like every weekend. The only potential failure point I see is where the legs screw into the table. These are a fairly fine thread and I think if you get grit or force them you could dick them up. Keep these clean and in good shape and it's a pretty bomb proof design. Adjusting the legs independently to get it solid was a pain at 1st but with practice I do it quickly now. I screwed on a piece of to load the bipod against but there's probably a more elegant solution.

20221007_103446.jpg

20230225_115310.jpg