• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Possible competition for PRS

justinmac13

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2014
I am having a gun built and having a hard time trying to choose 6mmBR or 6.5cm, I have not competed and probably will not for a while at least. I really just enjoy load development and shooting small holes at my house too around 300 yards. My question is, if I go with the 6BR and decide to compete, how big of a disadvantage do you think I would be at in a match shooting past 700 yards? I’ve read the stats on wind drift etc but wanted first hand experience other than charts comparing the drifts. I chose these two calibers due to ease of case prep and barrel life. So not interested really in the 6cm or a 6BR wildcat.

6mm caliber dominates PRS, I don’t think the disadvantage of slightly lesser wind deflection is hindering the BR. I would probably opt for the BR, it’s a fun round to shot and reload for. But I like 6.5cr too, especially for field matches .

Reactions: justinmac13
At the 2019 PRS finale there were 2 stages that were particularly difficult and long. One was a TYL rack at 1000 yards with the smallest target sub MOA. The other long stage was a troop line with targets at 800, 900, 1000, 1100, and 1200 yards. The only rifle in the competition to score perfect on both stages was chambered in 6 BR.

Hope to see you at a competition sooner rather than later!

This i
At the 2019 PRS finale there were 2 stages that were particularly difficult and long. One was a TYL rack at 1000 yards with the smallest target sub MOA. The other long stage was a troop line with targets at 800, 900, 1000, 1100, and 1200 yards. The only rifle in the competition to score perfect on both stages was chambered in 6 BR.

Hope to see you at a competition sooner rather than later!

this is encouraging, I was really wanting to lean towards the BR, thanks for the replies.

6br little tougher in the wind. Go with gt. Brass is cheap easy to load no feeding issues. No brained. The 6br is stupid accurate

I just chambered a 6br. Was looking at the GT, but seems brass isn't as predictable as lapua brass, and it is definitely more finicky across a broader range where the 6br can shoot out a barrel with the same load. Seems the GT has much narrower windows regarding powder charge and jump sensitivity... join the Facebook group "6mm gt forum". Also, I already have a 6 dasher... but once you know how to adjust mag lips and to buy an ARC mag the feeding issues aren't a problem anymore.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I looked into the GT as well but I want to stick with something I can just run lapua brass. Like mentioned in my OP competition isn’t my main focus of the build but just mainly small groups and fun. I have pretty much made up my mind now on the 6BR. I hope there are no feeding issues, the action will be a Origin and Moon at crescent didn’t seem to be too worried about being able to make it feed.

Reactions: Krazy Korean
@justinmac13 6BR is good stuff, my favorite for sure. Don't rule out 6x47 Lapua, great caliber in every way.

As far as PMS shooting is concerned, none of them will hold you back. Practice and participation is how you will improve.

6BR is my vote.

You are going to end up with a BR parent cased cartridge at some point anyways, so tooling up to run the 6BR is going to save you money in the long run.

6BR is a great choice.

6BR is a really easy choice, low recoil, impressive accuracy (Its won a lot in a lot of disciplines), components are easy to source, and most of all it has very forgiving accuracy windows/nodes.

For guys that want to get into reloading 6br is pretty easy to get low SD/ES and consistent accuracy. I have a lot of calibers that I use for various stuff, but I will always have a BR.