• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Post Your Savages!

Re: Post Your Savages!

101_01272.jpg

101_0128.jpg

Decently modified but a savage none the less. Great rifle.

DSC08401.jpg

DSC08403.jpg

Homepagephoto.jpg

DSCN0881.jpg

Alpine Gunwork stock w/ quick detach buttstock
20" McGowen barrel sendero contour
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 front focal plane scope
Medium height Nightforce rings
Flatline Ops level, strong arm and ADI
Rifle as you see it 11 lbs

Here she is, "Jezabel", as she sits in her Manners MCS-T in Desert Sage... I love this rifle!!

DK

IMAG0540.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PRS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Decently modified but a savage none the less. Great rifle.

DSC08401.jpg

DSC08403.jpg

</div></div>

Absolutely beautiful

Older picture. It now sports an AAC suppressor muzzel device. And......as soon as the BATF gets to me a nice new can.

552319_3685303648999_1690409774_n.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PRS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Decently modified but a savage none the less. Great rifle.

DSC08401.jpg

DSC08403.jpg
</div></div>

This is just awesome. What kind of stock is this and where can I get one?

Savage 10 FCP-K .308 24"
XLR chassis with 14 inch tube
Seekins 20 moa scope base (shortened by XLR)
Seekins AR-High 4 screw rings
SWFA SSHD 5-20x50 (non-illuminated) with sunshade and switchview lever
Holland bubble level
110 BA bolt handle
Harris 6-9 swivel bipod with pod lock
Accu-shot monopod

SavageXLR2.jpg

Damn Rotary.... All of these Savages look beastly!
I actually just thought of something that I'm not sure warrants a seperate thread. I have a Savage Model 10 FXP (I believe the MSRP was about $20.00 lol) later down the road, if I upgrade the barrel to a bull barrel or a heavy barrel, get a different chassis, stock and a nice scope. What is going to keep it from being as accurate or deadly than an M40A3?? In other words, Is upgrading my savage, the same as putting a spoiler on a FWD Honda Civic? lol, Or is it like taking a Dodge Dart and throwing a giant Hemi in there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PepperYourAngus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In other words, Is upgrading my savage, the same as putting a spoiler on a FWD Honda Civic?</div></div>

Nope - not even close.

A Savage with a high-quality prefit barrel and quality aftermarket stock installed by a DIY shooter probably isn't going to shoot as well as a custom built by GAP, SAC, LA Precision, LongRifles, RWS, etc.

But they can and do shoot better than probably 80%+ of shooters are capable, for 1/3 or less the cost of aforementioned custom. And provided such a modified Savage is driven by a skilled marksman, they are easily capable of constant half-MOA performance.

Savages are NOT the end-all, be-all some internet commandos might believe...but they certainly are good shooters and provide AR-like DIY flexibility in bolt gun form.

IMG_0814.jpg

Savage 110 action with LA .378 bolt head
Factory takeoff 26" 1:9 223 Remington barrel from Savage 12FV
McMillan A5 with CDI Savage LA/308 mag box DBM
Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 scope with EGW 20MOA base

IMG_9948.jpg

Savage 10FP action
Criterion 26" varmint contour 1:8 260 Remington barrel
Manners T2 with CDI DBM
Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 FFP with EGW 25MOA base

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PepperYourAngus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In other words, Is upgrading my savage, the same as putting a spoiler on a FWD Honda Civic?</div></div>

Nope - not even close.

A Savage with a high-quality prefit barrel and quality aftermarket stock installed by a DIY shooter probably isn't going to shoot as well as a custom built by GAP, SAC, LA Precision, LongRifles, RWS, etc.

But they can and do shoot better than probably 80%+ of shooters are capable, for 1/3 or less the cost of aforementioned custom. And provided such a modified Savage is driven by a skilled marksman, they are easily capable of constant half-MOA performance.

Savages are NOT the end-all, be-all some internet commandos might believe...but they certainly are good shooters and provide AR-like DIY flexibility in bolt gun form. </div></div>

Awesome! That's kind of what I was looking for. I'm hoping to be able to go 1000+ Meters some day. Don't think I'll get there with the savage, but if it will get me close so I can improve my shooting until I'm ready to make a huge purchase gun that would get me there
smile.gif

Excuse my ignorance please.. but you said a "prefit barrel" Does that mean a barrel MADE for my specific rifle? I'm thinking or ordering a Heavy barrel for my rifle from Savage, would I have to send them my rifle or would they make me one to the specs of my model?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PepperYourAngus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Awesome! That's kind of what I was looking for. I'm hoping to be able to go 1000+ Meters some day. Don't think I'll get there with the savage, but if it will get me close so I can improve my shooting until I'm ready to make a huge purchase gun that would get me there
smile.gif
</div></div>

Folks shoot Savages to 1000yd+ all the time...

A prefit barrel means an aftermarket barrel that comes fully chambered, contoured, crowned and threaded for a Savage action & barrel nut. Having a prefit removes the need for a gunsmith to chamber the barrel with a reamer and thread the shank of the barrel to fit into the action. Many Savage prefits are available, from companies like ER Shaw, Shilen, Mcgowen, Criterion, Pac-Nor, etc.

In other words, with a prefit barrel you can safely perform a barrel swap yourself, with minimal equipment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Folks shoot Savages to 1000yd+ all the time...</div></div>

Why won't a savage go 1000? Look above at the picture of my mdl 12 LRP. It's completely stock except for the bolt fluting and fluted knob.

The picture below was taken 3 days ago. Range 1025 yards. Three right hand hits were consecutive.

I'm new to long range shooting. This was my first time shooting at anything farther than 300 yards. Basically a stock gun.

No reason to think you can't get to 1000. Don't let all the Savage haters force you to drink the cool-aid.
smile.gif

I was going to put a manners stock on it but with the way it's shooting I can't justify the expense or change.

556037_3679439862408_336604213_n.jpg

I have several custom guns. All my rifles, factory included have had some load development and 100 yd group testing of some kind. At 100 yds my savage is the most accurate. It is a 24" heavy fluted bbl .308 in a cheap choate stock. I won't sell it because it is so accurate. Granted, my custom remmy or surgeon is usually my first 2 choices when I carry my rifle but the savage sits there anyway. It is bone stock and 1000 yd shooting "aint shit" I actually started my long range shooting with it shooting it in 600 and 1000 yd Benchrest. I won factory class a time or two and once I discovered and got it through my head that the 168 SMK was not the best choice I started doing pretty good with it. I usually would never shoot over MOA with it. Even at 1000 yds. Savage might not be the toughest rifles out there or the smoothest but they can most deff get the job done. Good luck guys. I love to see the savages done right. If I get back to shooting mine I forsee a manners stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PepperYourAngus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy shit PRS what chassis is that? </div></div>
XLR Evolution

Here's mine until I get a new stock.
utf-8BSU1BRzA5NDUuanBn.jpg

10PC with factory 5r fluted and threaded barrel
SSHD 5-20 illum

Rotary15,

That XLR chassis is sick. It looks like you have just replaced the 110ba chassis with the XLR one? Was there any super duper gunsmithing involved when you did it? or was it a direct fit. I want to do it to my 110BA as well. I knida new to this forum thing though as you are my first post..... HAHA

Pat

Feelin' the love.

10FP in .308. Stockade PD/T, Bushnell ET 6-24x50
TacticalElite001.jpg

Predator Hunter Max-1 in .243 with Bushnell 4200 3-12x44.

SavageModel10PredatorHunter243010.jpg

cool.gif

290067_10150900024467274_1473337232_o.jpg

Stevens 200 (old Savage 110)
McGowen 26" barrel in 7-08 with 1in8 twist
CDI DBM
Manners MCS-T
AADland Scope rings
USO Scope Base
USO SN3 3-17 ERGO
Custom Bolt Handle
Harrel Muzzle brake
SAV-1 RB trigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pudge243</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rotary15,

That XLR chassis is sick. It looks like you have just replaced the 110ba chassis with the XLR one? Was there any super duper gunsmithing involved when you did it? or was it a direct fit. I want to do it to my 110BA as well. I knida new to this forum thing though as you are my first post..... HAHA

Pat </div></div>

The rifle never had the BA chassis. It started with just the normal Savage plastic Accustock. Direct fit, no smithing. Most difficult part was the 10 week wait time for the XLR chassis.

CustomCreedmore53.jpg

20111002_161840.jpg

Broughton barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

179388_489615421501_2593252_n.jpg

Savage 10 FCP-K .308
McMillan A5
SWFA 10x

302945_10150269841366502_4852939_n.jpg

Savage 110 FCP-HS .338 LM
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x
not in the picture but it has a Atlas bipod now.

This is pretty much a clone of mwroseberry's first Steven's rendition that I just completed. I owe him a lot for his help!

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

Stevens 200 (.308)
B&C Medalist Stock (stripped, free-floated, bedded, texturized and duracoated)
McGowan 26" bull barrel (7mm-08, threaded, 1-8 twist, 11 deg. crown) - found 2,400' range
SSS Bolt handle
SSS Recoil lug
Harrel's Precision muzzle brake
Rifle Basix SAV-1 triggger (just under 2 lbs.)
Harris 6-9" swivel bipod with adapter (includes flat forend adapter)
EGW scope base (bedded)
TPS scope rings (lapped)
SS 10x42 MIL/MIL scope
XLR cheek rest
TIS sling
Stock duracoated in flat OD, metal with flat dark earth

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: branson1369</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Rifle!!!!!

Can you share any info onn how the stock texturizing is done? </div></div>

I just taped off the areas I wanted texturized, then used a razor blade to fine-tune the tape to get the shape I wanted. I used Devcon steel putty as the agent (JB Weld would work just as well, although you may need to let it set-up longer as it is more fluid initially). After applying, let it start to set-up (20-30 minutes I think) and use a popsicle stick or just a small piece of wood to "tap" at the Devcon and get it texturized. You can sand it down later if it too aggressive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marksmatter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is pretty much a clone of mwroseberry's first Steven's rendition that I just completed. I owe him a lot for his help!

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

Stevens 200 (.308)
B&C Medalist Stock (stripped, free-floated, bedded, texturized and duracoated)
McGowan 26" bull barrel (7mm-08, threaded, 1-8 twist, 11 deg. crown) - found 2,400' range
SSS Bolt handle
SSS Recoil lug
Harrel's Precision muzzle brake
Rifle Basix SAV-1 triggger (just under 2 lbs.)
Harris 6-9" swivel bipod with adapter (includes flat forend adapter)
EGW scope base (bedded)
TPS scope rings (lapped)
SS 10x42 MIL/MIL scope
XLR cheek rest
TIS sling
Stock duracoated in flat OD, metal with flat dark earth

</div></div>

You did very well. I promise it will shoot :-D. Mine is now wearing a manners stock, CDI DBM, and a USO SN3 but it's the same rifle. PS I want to see groups :-D

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bear_blade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG00064-20101128-1011-1.jpg

IMG00065-20101128-1012-2.jpg

Savage target action
28" McGowen heavy contour match barrel 1:10
XLR chasis
Temporary glass Millett 4-16 X 50 </div></div>

Love this set up how much did the xlr chasis run you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dropd57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
CustomCreedmore53.jpg

20111002_161840.jpg

Broughton barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.
</div></div>

That Bolt Looks SIIIIIICk!!!!!

Hell, I'll play along
bradgunpic-1.jpg

Sav-12 Action
Obermeyer Fluted 24" Rem Target contour
McMillan A3 stock pillar and glass bedded
Sav-2 target trigger
Seekins rings and bases
Sightron 8-32x56 LRMOA scope
4 shots at 300 yards with 178 AMAX's
BergerGroup.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zach3IDFister</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bear_blade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG00064-20101128-1011-1.jpg

IMG00065-20101128-1012-2.jpg

Savage target action
28" McGowen heavy contour match barrel 1:10
XLR chasis
Temporary glass Millett 4-16 X 50 </div></div>

Love this set up how much did the xlr chasis run you? </div></div>

I don't want to toss prices around, but they are listed on their site. I got a heck of a deal, and am more than pleased. It is about to get a bedding job. Got a bit of movement happening...

@ Topgun... As for the Millett, its not bad, tracks good shooting the box, glass quality is above average for the price point. This was to hold me over till I get some more coin tucked away. Considering a Nightforce, or Vortex Razor. PITA to get any decent glass accross the line into Canada.

It's just an ol' hunting rifle but my Savage .338 Federal is my favorite. No feral hog or whitetail has gone more than a few feet (if that) when hit by this thing!

SavageRobar338Federal.jpg

Barrel: PAC-NOR 24 inch fluted .338 Federal (1 in 10, 3-groove)
Finish: Robar
Stock: McMillan Hunter
Bases: Warne Maxima 2-Piece Style
Rings: Burris Medium Signature Zee Rings
Scope: Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x 40mm AO LR Reticle Matte

CustomSavageModel11.jpg