• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Post your SMK/Match bullet kills

Re: Post your SMK kills

Sako 591, 260 Rem, 142SMK

385yrd to heavy tree trunks:
IMG_0015.jpg

Closer veiw:
IMG_0012.jpg

This ran 75yrds and dropped, one hole in, one out, no major carnage, but took out the boiler. Really wanted to see what he would do in another year, but he was on the hit list.
09Whitetail2.jpg

175 SMK 50 yards. Ran about 15 yards and dropped.

a84773cd74f0aec4d068c4a7f22da4f0.jpg

Took a second to last day rifle buck with 115gr DTAC at 280yrds this late afternoon. No entrance (found) or exit location, but lungs were mush as well as a little of the nasty.
That shot (quartering away) didn't allow him 2 steps. DRT. The thump with suppressor was impressive. Was certain he didn't go far and as it turned out he didn't.
Not my first choice, but certainly did the job.

I took this antelope this fall with the 142 SMK out of my .260. My buddy ranged him at 590 yards. I was quite happy with the performance of the SMK on the thin skinned antelope. I hit him in the back of the shoulder blade. When we gutted him, half his heart was completely gone. There was a fairly large chuck of shoulder blade on the ground under him. He did not run at all. DRT.

antelope1%202012-L.jpg

IMAG0136-2.jpg

Taken in AZ few weeks ago, .223 77g SMK made by my neighbor.

Shot down a hill in a gully, we lost him after he circled around us and barked at my brother less than 15 yards from him...

We chased him on foot (if you can call it that) for less than 30 yards. He made it just over 100 down the hill and into the gully, Brother barked and he stopped. Shot was on the move standing in-between two trees and I just (by the skin on my teeth) hit him just behind the rib cage. He ran an addition 40 yards and this is what we found.

Was my first Coyote hunt and 3rd hunt ever, so needless to say I was PUMPED.

Took this 170lb boar before daylight Monday morning.

6.5x55 142gr SMK @ 100yds through both front shoulders, bullet found under the hide on the offside. Bullet weighed 77grs so it retained 50% of it's original weight with a fairly tough shot.

121012boar65.jpg

262.jpg

121012boar.jpg

nice to know the smk is well equipped for hunting as well. now I can see if my rifle likes the vld or smk better and not worry about hunting season!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Critter_Capper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the placement of my shot, I knew I would only incur soft tissue, so any deflection (of which there was none) would be little at best. Sorry to seem defensive, have been preached to on the ethics of this shot more than I care to discuss. Guess because some people aren't comfortable they feel others shouldn't be, either </div></div>
You're an ass.

CD64D3BD-CDB1-4B06-9DD2-99D334CE47F7-784-00000040F2CFCC0F.jpg

240gr SMK, 1030 FPS. 300 Blackout, 220 yards. did the job great, she went about 20 yards. Rem 700 in Blackout, 16.5" TBAC 30P-1, Vortex HS LR 4-16 FFP, XLR ret.

Capt, that Baboon looks creepy! Looks strangely like a certain commentator on MSNBC, the blank stare, stupid fool written all over its face, all he needs is a collared shirt and a race card in his front pocket.

All joking aside, I dont know why but primates always creep me out in these kind of pictures.

The baboon was one of the smartest animals I hunted. This troop was very people shy and would run the second they would see a truck or human. I would have to build a hide and let the truck leave and after a few hours they would reappear. I would fire my one shot, usually over 400 yards and they would disappear. Next time around they would approach from behind the hide, looking/searching for me as they came out of the thick cover. The big males would come out last. Very smart, so I had to change positions several times. I ended up taking about 6 of the big males! Kinda strange when you walk up to them, as their hands look human, down to the finger prints! One big male took a 250SMK @ 460 yds to the center chest and took off running, we tracked him for two miles and were not able to recover him.

Attachments

• DSC00648.jpg
    DSC00648.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00664.jpg
    DSC00664.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC00668.jpg
    DSC00668.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00662.jpg
    DSC00662.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 66
The baboon was one of the smartest animals I hunted. This troop was very people shy and would run the second they would see a truck or human. I would have to build a hide and let the truck leave and after a few hours they would reappear. I would fire my one shot, usually over 400 yards and they would disappear. Next time around they would approach from behind the hide, looking/searching for me as they came out of the thick cover. The big males would come out last. Very smart, so I had to change positions several times. I ended up taking about 6 of the big males! Kinda strange when you walk up to them, as their hands look human, down to the finger prints! One big male took a 250SMK @ 460 yds to the center chest and took off running, we tracked him for two miles and were not able to recover him.
Wow, impressive.

Here is a few coyotes i took with 155gr SMKfirst dog was about 200 yards through the chest excited abdomen guts everywhere

This one was 30 yards butt to front blew out the side taking most of the innards with it

Can we open this to match bullet kills? I've never smoked one with an SMK, but the Amax is equally unsuited for killing things... or so I've been told. My deer seem to get the lead shakes from them every time I've given them a dose of those little red ballistic tips.

for all the doubters , its still I68g its still doing 2600+ fps its still copper and lead and shot properly everything you shoot with them will be dead : Another factoid you wont kill them from behind your PC or off your couch with the Brochure your reading on how unsuitable they are to hunt with ........... you have all been skunked by the marketing departments of the bullet manufacturers who really really really would like you to have one bullet for each activity

Can we open this to match bullet kills? I've never smoked one with an SMK, but the Amax is equally unsuited for killing things... or so I've been told. My deer seem to get the lead shakes from them every time I've given them a dose of those little red ballistic tips.
I suppose, but lets make sure we make it clear what it is that were shooting, as this thread had heretofore been strictly Sierra Match Kings. As long as we are clear on what match bullet you are shooting, I suppose this thread can mantain its original purpose of informing the public about bullet performance. And to a lesser degree, show all the doubters that it can and is done properly all the time with match bullets.

[MENTION=27167]coldboremiracle[/MENTION] :

Sure, that makes perfect sense, I just don't shoot SMK's all that much and I've been using match bullets for a few years and have accumulated a couple of kills with Amax's. Let me know if this is enough detail, I didn't keep pics of most of the bullets.

2009: SC whitetails, 2 of 'em on 1 night. Both shot in the neck with 52gr Amax from my AR, both down in their tracks.

2010: 30-30 Win w/ 155 Amax single loaded into the lever gun (it's what I had handy). 137lb doe, 40yd, down from the treestand through the vertebrae just in front of the shoulder blades, shrapnel of bone hit both lungs, the bullet hit the heart, made a left turn and slide down between the skin and abdominal muscles. I recovered the bullet inside the skin at the pelvic bone. Dirt checked, got up after about 5s and bolted... made it appx 30yd and piled up permanently.

2011: 6.5Creed w/ 140 Amax, MV ~ 2635fps, doe through the heart from 365yd. Bullet broke a rib going in, shredded up the heard, exited on the offside and uncorked the bilge pump exhaust. She made it <100yd across the field and piled up.

2012: 6.5Creed w/ 140 Amax, MV ~ 2800fps, doe through the spine from 425yd. Bullet completely punched out the spine (I was about 3" higher than I wanted) and the explosive behavior of the bones shredded up the lungs and she didn't go anywhere with a cut spine.

5 deer, 3 within 40yd and 2 out past 350yd. All recovered without any issues, all dead from Amax's.

Well, as long as we're going this direction, I shall add a few more:

The one on the right took a 140 Amax from my .260, the one on the left took a 130 Berger (yellow box) from an X47

Bugsy here took all 77 grains from a Nosler match:

A single 162 Amax to the neck fell this beauty:

From the SAUM:

Another 162 Amax dropped this handsome little fellow:

Here is the impact:

The remains of his heart, from 435yds @ estimated 2500fps:

123gr. A-MAX from a 26" 6.5x47mm Lapua at 150yrds
DUSTINSDEERBUCK2012001.jpg

Another from 200yrds same rifle as above just different stock.
2011DEER002.jpg

Damage to target!

entrance wound
2011DEER013.jpg

2011DEER017.jpg

exit wound
2011DEER018.jpg

P1080057.jpg

One shot 175 SMK FGMM LWRCI REPR 450 yds no holes dead away shot bullet recovered 4 inches from the chest wall DRT
Have dropped 15-20 deer/antelope with same load, no problem

using scenars as well now in 6.5 and 338

Here is another fresh one fellas, I just hung him up in the shed to age. Dad shot this one this morning with one of my new favorite bullets; the Barnes Match Burner, this one was a 140gr Match burner fired from Dad's recently rebuilt pre-64 mod 70 in .264Win Mag. A very, very badass rifle. One shot was all it took, put this guy to bed. Look at the bullet hole:

You could see well down into his chest through the big hole, and there was huge amounts of blood and lung tissue coming out the hole.

Good times.

If anyone could pm me and let me know how to post the big pictures that would be cool.

Here are two of of mine from last year. Need to get some more this year. 415 yards on the yote and 380 on the pig, both with the 175 SMK in 308

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 36
I forgot to mention the total number of steps those two took after the shot... Zero.

I have high shouldered at least 15 elk with 175 SMK and none were able to go more than a few feet, never tracked any of them. Of course all of those shots were where they needed to be. All between 50 to 400 yards I've never seen anything run from a well placed head shot either

This is pig #5 using SMK's in my new 300 Blackout in 30 days.

Ear shot with a 155 Palma with 1970fps muzzle velocity at 100 yards. Not a speed demon by any stretch of the imagination but the load shoots very good through my rifle. While this was my 1st venture using a hyper sonic load in the blackout it's still fairly quiet.

OCT19CAMPHOUSE_zpsf3283d68.jpg

TERRIBLE cell phone photo, but:

IMG_0718.jpg

223AI, 80gr A-Max @ 2890fps, 65yd head shot. Bullet entered just in front of the left ear and blew the top right skull off; everything from the inside of the right eye to the right ear was gone and I could have put my closed fist in the cavity.

Hope to have better pictures of new kills in a few weeks...

Couple more

My son's 2013 muley 287yds, one shot 175gr smk, deer walked about twenty feet and went down. Sorry didn't get the carnage "double lunger".

Same boy one shot with 142gr on a young yote who was out playing in the mud.

I guess since this thread has now been opened up, I will post some of my carnage.

Shot this little guy from 125yds with a 162amax going 3150. Pretty devastating.

Last edited:
great pics guys i was skeptical about match bullets for hunting but this proves that there work, thinking of just loading all my 308 with match bullets and call it a day

I wish this was true for me. I hunt coyotes a cp times a month with call, only saw a few here and most were in a dead run. After so many pics of DRT animals, I took my 20" 5R with my match 175smk load @2760, turned on the call and in five minutes I was looking at a big boy through my NF NSX, @160yds. I pulled dead on his shoulder, fired and watched him hit the ground and just shake, it was yelping some but other than that nothing. I went to get my decoy and my son yelled "it's up" I put the ret on him again and shot him again, and he hit the ground again, so I went to get my pistol, came back and the dang dog was gone, plenty of blood for 20yds, me and some friends couldn't find a drop. Shot one the next day same gun with a berger hunting VLD and it fell DRT. ? I'll always buy em for my 6.5CM, 260, and .308's for match shoots, but not again.

image.jpgIn one ear and out the other...

175 grain SMK from the Southwest Ammunition group buy a while back. 200 yards, dropped dead.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I pulled dead on his shoulder, fired and watched him hit the ground and just shake, it was yelping some but other than that nothing. I went to get my decoy and my son yelled "it's up" I put the ret on him again and shot him again, and he hit the ground again, so I went to get my pistol, came back and the dang dog was gone, plenty of blood for 20yds, me and some friends couldn't find a drop.

I dont mean to contradict you, or judge your skills, but without pics of the coyote, how are we to be sure what happened? Without the pics I dont think your experience is a reason to discount or endorse one way or another.

my wife's buck last year. Solid four point muley blacktail benchleg. Was able to drive the truck right up to it. Nice, it was a big critter.
renees buck.jpg

I will bet my first attempt at posting a photo did not work.

I wish this was true for me. I hunt coyotes a cp times a month with call, only saw a few here and most were in a dead run. After so many pics of DRT animals, I took my 20" 5R with my match 175smk load @2760, turned on the call and in five minutes I was looking at a big boy through my NF NSX, @160yds. I pulled dead on his shoulder, fired and watched him hit the ground and just shake, it was yelping some but other than that nothing. I went to get my decoy and my son yelled "it's up" I put the ret on him again and shot him again, and he hit the ground again, so I went to get my pistol, came back and the dang dog was gone, plenty of blood for 20yds, me and some friends couldn't find a drop. Shot one the next day same gun with a berger hunting VLD and it fell DRT. ? I'll always buy em for my 6.5CM, 260, and .308's for match shoots, but not again.
-
I agree with you by my personal experience also with ( coyotes & 175 smk's ) . I'm NOT talking deer or any other game 'just Coyotes' .
I have shot more than a few coyotes in my life . 175smk .30 cal. ( SUCK Donkey Balls ) results were a far cry from satisfactory when compares to V-max,Speer or any other Varm. bullet . ( Honestly ) I have got great results and I will use 'pointed soft-point' before I will ever use another .30 175 smk again for Coyote .