• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Post your Southern Precision Rifle Build Pics

Da-Law-Dawg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2008
Russell Springs, KY
I thought I'd kick a thread off on Southern Precsion Rifles builds. Greg Young, aka <span style="font-weight: bold">bugholes</span>, has been doing a lot of excellent work for us here at SH.

Thought I'd kick a thread out to highlight some of his work and ask any members who have had work done by him to chime in as well.

Here goes my contribution.......

Trued FN PBR XP action in .308, Rock 10 twist M24 contour tube. Threaded 5/8x24 with an RAD Rapid brake. McMillian A4 adjustable, with CDI bottom metal and Badger EFR. Greg plumbed the action, bedding and other work done by your's truely.

As pictured, wears a USO SN3 1.8x10 ERGO......

DSC00056.jpg

More recently, same set-up with different glass. USO SN3 TPAL 3.2x17 w/RND MOA reticle......

IMAG0133.jpg

And yes.....his builds will shoot......

208418.jpg

425 yard ladder test results......

208ladder425yds.jpg

Re: Southern Precision Rifle Build Pics

Come on fellas......I know I'm not the only guy on here with a "bugholes built" stick! Let's see some pics!!

Re: Post your Southern Precision Rifle Build Pics

Here's 2 more.
A .223 AI (Rock) in the first picture, and a .243 AI (Brux) in the second picture:

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

Jeff,

Great looking rifles! How's the flush cups holding up on the HS?

Let's see some more pics fellas!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Da-Law-Dawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeff,
Great looking rifles! How's the flush cups holding up on the HS?
</div></div>

Thanks!
The flush cups are solid as a rock!
My paint job is holding up well too, thanks to your first-class prep and primer.

Cant believe there aint but 2 people on here with "Bugholes Built" rifles...Nice sticks guys! Southern Precision looks like a good option on a build, good prices and shooters to boot!

I'm working up the kitty to have Greg build me a 300WM (or bigger) for ELR.. it won't be till sometime next year.. but I've got plans in the works. This one won't be for packing.. that's for sure.

Here's my .223 bolt that Greg built. B&C M40 stock, bedded. 8 twist, 22 inch Remmy Varmint profile SS Brux, threaded 5/8x24. CDI bottom metal. I did the coating, Greg did everything else. Shoots great. Greg is GTG.
IMG_2963_crop.jpg

I hope this post is not construed as vain, its intended to be informative...

I started this build for myself this spring, and have done a little here and there during production lulls; it has taken some time. As you see it, its a Surgeon 591 cerakoted black and bedded into an A4 with Badger M5 bottom and a jewell trigger. The S&B is a 5-25 PM2 CCW mil/mil with H2CMR reticle. Im quite pleased with the H2CMR, nice to see some good reticle choices from S&B. It was built with the intention of being a switch barrel, and I use this as a platform to test barrels when barrels need testin...

The barrel on there now is a test barrel from a new barrel manufacturer which is not yet open for business. Its a 6.5mm/8.5tw AMU chambered in 260 Remington. The first three shots from this gun (including fouler) went into .20", a good start. Several groups were in the ones until I goofed a shot. I cant seem to find the first test target, Oh well. Interestingly enough, this barrel doesnt seem to throw the first fouling round, its been my experience that maybe 1 in 20 barrels will exhibit this characteristic. I've had it out once and reported my data to the maker, a 6mm is on the way for testing as well. As of now, expect to see these barrels for sale some time in january. From other collected test data, these barrels are outstanding. I hope to make an "Industry Announcement" regarding this barrel maker around the first of the year. Until then, the info is not being publicly shared
nbb536.jpg

Another test barrel exists for this rifle, its a new kind of rifling geometry that a known major barrel manufacturer is testing, but has not released yet. I have one of these test barrels in 30 cal 10 twist. The barrel is chambered in 308win, and was tested against a standard, current production barrel from the same manufacturer. Both barrels were chambered with the same reamer and have the same headspace. The contours were also the same, as well as the barrel finish length. I did save these targets, because a summary and report was created for the manufacturer. The first target is the best charges found on day one, repeated for verification at the end of the day with 5 shot groups. The control barrel is the left row, test barrel is the right row. Interestingly enough, both barrels preferred the same charges (although my shooting may not reflect this!). Info was covered with pieces of paper to protect the manufacturer and their product
dxmtqu.jpg

The next test performed with these barrels was to explore the upper pressure limits. Varget charges were already near compressed or compressed, so I opted for IMR8208XBR to decrease the load density; It proved to be an interesting find. The control barrel point of impact rose considerably as the powder charge was increased, the node was being exceeded and scatter groups were evident. The test barrel continued to deliver rounds to the same point of aim until primers were blown. The control barrel is on the left, and test barrel is on the right. These were two shot groups fired at 200yds, again primarily to explore pressure limitations. The accuracy and info gathered was quite remarkable, in my opinion. I have not had the opportunity to continue testing this barrel, but you may see this in production in 2012 as well
2qusmrn.jpg

Hopefully you will be seeing some new stuff coming out in 2012, please stay tuned...

I got my barreled action back from Greg today and I wanted to throw some quick pics up. Stiller TAC 30 with a Mike Rock 308 barrel. TBAC 338 can. This was thrown in the stock and scope was put on just so I could see what Ive been waiting for for so long. Needs a few adjustments and I will post pics once I get it sighted in.

Thanks Greg!!

B3201C99-B44F-4670-930B-85B31EBAC8CF-5106-000004A655A5CCC2.jpg

653245AA-509F-4121-AF14-71EB92F9711B-5106-000004A6605D9F56.jpg

20" Bugholes .308

IMG_20121112_165122.jpg

7 rounds of Black Hills 168s

20121112_153901.jpg

I shot this group ^^^^ with my pump 270 win

Ha you sure did. You also won Woodys Sunday match with your grandpa's 30-30

Mine is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday....will post pics when I get it!

Greg is great to do business with! He has always taken care of me on my barrel needs. I give him my stamp of approval!
laugh.gif

Greg has recently built two for me and I couldn't me more pleased. Greg builds a great rifle.

214CA552-0931-418E-8618-3C96B314895B-5156-000002F8D4C16956.jpg

He built me a .223 AI on the left and a .243 AI on the right. Greg is great to work with and both my rifles shoot "bugholes".

I got a chance to do some initial shooting with my rifle posted above and believe it or not there are 5 bullets right here, and the upper one was a fouling shot. Shooting factory Black Hills 175gr Match. All I can say is I am happy as can be.

target.jpg

Just got my barreled action today and dropped it into a stock to see how it all looked. Will be mounting a Leupold Mk4 6.5-20x50 FFP TMR with M5 knobs on it and having the metal cerakoted in sniper grey. Chambered in 260Rem with a Muellerworks 8.5 twist varmint contour barrel. Fit and finish are awesome. The thread protector was so seamless that at first glance I thought he had forgot to do it! Can't wait to get out and shoot it! I'm a happy guy today!!! Thanks Greg!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buster hindend</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greg has recently built two for me and I couldn't me more pleased. Greg builds a great rifle.

214CA552-0931-418E-8618-3C96B314895B-5156-000002F8D4C16956.jpg

He built me a .223 AI on the left and a .243 AI on the right. Greg is great to work with and both my rifles shoot "bugholes". </div></div>

What contour is that barrel on the right rifle??

Ordered this from Greg in the spring and received the barreled action in the fall. Only had it out twice, once to sight it in and once at longer distances on steel. Only 40 rounds down range.

Stiller TAC 30
Rock Creek 24" oal, Remington varmint contour, chambered in 260 rem
Jewel trigger 1lb 4oz
Cerakoted black

Greg was great to deal with. Responded quickly to all me emails and even did have a problem with me making changes from the original plans.

The shot on steel was 3 @ 360 yards. I'm using SWA 142gr in the SSA brass. I don't get out to shoot much anymore, I was very happy with the groups for as little trigger time I have this year. It's at testamate to the work Greg does and to SWA.

Never tried a Manners. Think i will put it on my New Years wish list. Greg built a bunch of rifles for me and love them all. The latest was a 300WM. Just shot it at a mile for fun and didn't do bad. Gonna have to learn to post pics.

Tag. Having one built by Greg as I write this. Expected delivery is late February and I will post pictures then.

Gruffy, what are you having built?

6.5 creedmoor on a stiller tac 30 with 28" bartlein 5r 1:8 and jewell trigger. I am still shopping around for a chassis. I had an opportunity to get an ax aics pretty reasonably but passed.

If you haven't got your FFL lined out do it now. I had Greg build me one and I got it at the end of OCT.
I live in a small town. The first place I went to was wanting to charge me sales tax and other fees plus money for the background check. A sales tax is not required in Nev. So they were trying to rip me off and the second place I went to gave me the wrong info and then was closed the day I needed them most, the third place acted like the FFL was top secret and could only be given to Greg only.

Just a suggestion. If you can afford overnight delivery do that. My Rifle got hung up in Texas for some reason and took some extra time to get here. It hit one of the Hubs in Texas and then dropped off the face of the earth until it hit the Reno Hub a week later.

If you haven't got your FFL lined out do it now. I had Greg build me one and I got it at the end of OCT.
I live in a small town. The first place I went to was wanting to charge me sales tax and other fees plus money for the background check. A sales tax is not required in Nev. So they were trying to rip me off and the second place I went to gave me the wrong info and then was closed the day I needed them most, the third place acted like the FFL was top secret and could only be given to Greg only.

Just a suggestion. If you can afford overnight delivery do that. My Rifle got hung up in Texas for some reason and took some extra time to get here. It hit one of the Hubs in Texas and then dropped off the face of the earth until it hit the Reno Hub a week later.

I had the action transferred to me and shipped it back to him so the rifle can be shipped directly to me. I have a good relationship with a local ffl if any issues arise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

So how does it shoot/what did you have built?

I had a 260 built with a Stiller Action an Obermeyer Barrel and a CG X-Treme two stage trigger all on a McMillan HTG stock.

It's about a half minute Rifle. The Two Stage trigger is awesome I'm glad Chuck N talked me into getting one.

Just got my first rifle with Bartlein barrel from Greg and it shoots really well. Greg has been using Brux for my CM and love them also. Would like to know how the Bartlein does in your CM?

Just got my first rifle with Bartlein barrel from Greg and it shoots really well. Greg has been using Brux for my CM and love them also. Would like to know how the Bartlein does in your CM?

I will let you know. I am going to do a write up on it whenever it comes in. Hopefully I make a chassis decision by the time it gets here!

Just received the barreled action.... and it looks good. Ordered a krg chassis today to put her in! I will post pics of the barreled action when I figure out the photo deal. Chamber measured 2.857 with a 140gr vld and 2.913 with a 140 hybrid vld. I have not used the hybrid so I am a little worried but have heard they dont mind the jump as much as the vlds can. Mcree mags on order and they state 2.9" max load so we will see what happens.

Mounted up. I will try to get some better photos up later. uploadfromtaptalk1395529982096.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395530003875.jpg