• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Potroast with a bit of Habanero for flavor....

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Served with some great crusty bread and a huge chunk of butter.... and slathered with Heinz 57...

Is the greatest winter comfort food ever created.

Fight me.

Sirhr

PS... if you have something better in mind... post it so I can make it. It's fucking January here. I need all the help I can get.

Served with some great crusty bread and a huge chunk of butter.... and slathered with Heinz 57...

Fight me.

Sirhr

PS... if you have something better in mind... post it so I can make it. It's fucking January here. I need all the help I can get.
Pics not loading

Fight me.

Sirhr

you did boil the pot roast, didn't you?

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
you did boil the pot roast, didn't you?
Me? No. I had my slow cooker do it.

Meet my slow cooker.

4f61300198b66accfbaf8d5c2f6692b326903cbc7585c4b815302311a7d359ec_1.jpg

Sirhr

i like pot roast, and most anything that makes gravy.
did you use chuck roast?

i got a sous vide machine for xmas (no homo) and got some chuck roast on sale.
24hr @136F and it comes out like roast beef. i sliced it up for sammiches.

20220109_143723.jpg

A nice pork butt roast simmered in the crock pot for about 8 hours with the requisite spices and then shredded and fried in the skillet for some carnitas taco love.
Lots of cilantro and fresh squeezed lime juice required.
I'd mention a nice salsa verde to go with it but I shouldn't really have to...it's not an option.

Shepherds pie with lamb from the awesome butcher shop in town and my 2 day veal stock/demi. Makes on hell of a base for the whipped potato topping loaded with butter and parm. I just started the base, and I’ll have it tomorrow for supper.

(Real) Chili and cornbread.
View attachment 7783770
The trouble with a good pot of chili is that, if its really good, you eat half of it while its cooking, but its really not at its peak flavor until its aged in the fridge fir a day or two.

I hope there's some buttermilk in the cornbread. Keeps if from getting dry.

Habanero is my favorite pepper
Muy saboroso, Very flavorful. I raise them every year and store the excess in vinegar. They keep pretty well if dont ope the jar much.

Hatch Green chilis are quite good as well. I bought a 25 lb bag in Taos and cooked them up into one of the vest salsa verde's youve ever had.

Believe it or nits, The Nailer makes an excellent salsa, very smoky with lots of roasted stuff. He calls it "God's Fingernail".

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Shepherds pie with lamb from the awesome butcher shop in town and my 2 day veal stock/demi. Makes on hell of a base for the whipped potato topping loaded with butter and parm. I just started the base, and I’ll have it tomorrow for supper.
this is something i really miss from when i lived overseas. that and roast lamb shank.
around here, mostly i find them mostly offering cottage pie and calling it shepherds pie.

Reactions: uncle_smokey
did you use chuck roast?

View attachment 7783764
Did you sear it or anything after taking it out of the bag?

Fixed spelling.... sear, not wear.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jim Out and Maggot
Meat loaf
Wrapped in bacon

My wife made it for Christmas a few years ago.
She asked what I wantd for Christmas dinner, I gave the smartass answer of candle lit meatloaf. It was awesome

Fight me.

Sirhr

Seafood gumbo with lots of cayene! Spicy conechu sausage

i would have if we were eating it hot, but since i was just making sammich meat, i didn't bother.
it looks browned. i never used one before so i didn't even know what to expect.

Mississippi potroast is my current favorite. To add a spin on things i will smoke the roast for a couple hours. I double the sauce as i like sauce. If i am sticking to my diet i will take a head of cauliflower, chop it up, roast it at 325 for 45 minutes, toss that into a blender with garlic salt, 1/4 teaspoon of lemon pepper, 1/2 stick of butter, 1/2 cup of heavy cream and 8 oz of parmesan . It makes mashed potatoes, errrr something like that.

I do the same with chicken brian, bed of garlic mashed cauli. Both of these meals would cause a restaurant to blow up. Super flavorful and easy to make.

Mississippi potroast is my current favorite. To add a spin on things i will smoke the roast for a couple hours. I double the sauce as i like sauce. If i am sticking to my diet i will take a head of cauliflower, chop it up, roast it at 325 for 45 minutes, toss that into a blender with garlic salt, 1/4 teaspoon of lemon pepper, 1/2 stick of butter, 1/2 cup of heavy cream and 8 oz of parmesan . It makes mashed potatoes, errrr something like that.

I do the same with chicken brian, bed of garlic mashed cauli. Both of these meals would cause a restaurant to blow up. Super flavorful and easy to make.
We make it all the time, you can drink the juice lol

Reactions: Jgunner
Put 1 cut up habanero with no seeds in a half cup of honey, let sit in the fridge for a day, save for months and reuse. Put spicy chipotle rub on baby back ribs overnight, smoke 4-5 hrs till done. Dip individual ribs in hot/ sweet = habanero / honey and eat. Can dip them and then quickly brown on grill but don’t need to. Your stomach will thank you.

Fight me.

Sirhr

What, no pics of this meal for us peasants ? Blasphemy

Pork roast, sear in a hot pan with some olive oil.
Granny smith apples cut into slices, give them 2-3 minutes in the pan after you finish with the roast.
Add roast, apples, sauerkraut, and some salt/pepper to taste.
Slow cooker for 6-8 hours on Low.

Great winter food.

It’s not slow cooked, but my grandma used to get these real thick 1.5-2” cut pork chops and coat them in chopped pecans fry them, and finish in the oven this time of year.👍🏻👍🏻

Reactions: FWoo45
did you use chuck roast?

View attachment 7783764
I've run a couple chuck roasts through the smoker. You definitely think your eating a better cut of meat.

I do. Some advocate searing before the sous vide. I need to think a bit more on this before giving advice, but the science I understand indicates searing after the sous vide.

Sounds like a waste of good habanero. Cook the shit in a slow cooker with beans, pull it, shred it, mix it back in and serve it. But my smoked brisket chili will kick the ass of anything you bring to the table.

Reactions: FWoo45 and Maggot
Meat loaf
Wrapped in bacon

My wife made it for Christmas a few years ago.
She asked what I wantd for Christmas dinner, I gave the smartass answer of candle lit meatloaf. It was awesome
Ha! Your post made me reminisce. I first met my wife in the late 90s. I was 32 and she was 24. After we dated for a bit, she asked me what my favorite foods were. I told her I like some fancier stuff, but when it comes to my top 5, just about anything Mexican, meatloaf, pot roast and potato salad make the list.

When my birthday arrived, she made me meatloaf, and told me she had never made meatloaf, pot roast or potato salad, but she bought a couple books that claimed to have good recipes for each...one of the books she told me was something like, "Food Men Love," or along those lines. I laughed. Took a few bites of her first meatloaf and admitted to her that for her first attempt, it was really damn good.

Now, 20 years later, and married with 3 kids, she has learned to tweak her recipes and I would say that she makes the best meatloaf, pot roast and potato salad of anyone I've ever met, hands down. And every year, on my birthday, she makes me meatloaf, always slightly different and once or twice, it was indeed bacon wrapped.

The real kicker...I met this woman in Portland, OR...if you know anything about the "current culture" in Portland, that is sure to be a head scratcher. Go figure...LOL

Ha! Your post made me reminisce. I first met my wife in the late 90s. I was 32 and she was 24. After we dated for a bit, she asked me what my favorite foods were. I told her I like some fancier stuff, but when it comes to my top 5, just about anything Mexican, meatloaf, pot roast and potato salad make the list.

When my birthday arrived, she made me meatloaf, and told me she had never made meatloaf, pot roast or potato salad, but she bought a couple books that claimed to have good recipes for each...one of the books she told me was something like, "Food Men Love," or along those lines. I laughed. Took a few bites of her first meatloaf and admitted to her that for her first attempt, it was really damn good.

Now, 20 years later, and married with 3 kids, she has learned to tweak her recipes and I would say that she makes the best meatloaf, pot roast and potato salad of anyone I've ever met, hands down. And every year, on my birthday, she makes me meatloaf, always slightly different and once or twice, it was indeed bacon wrapped.

The real kicker...I met this woman in Portland, OR...if you know anything about the "current culture" in Portland, that is sure to be a head scratcher. Go figure...LOL
Great story from a fellow meatloaf pot roast potatoe salad lover.

Sounds like a waste of good habanero. Cook the shit in a slow cooker with beans, pull it, shred it, mix it back in and serve it. But my smoked brisket chili will kick the ass of anything you bring to the table.
Ive made smoked brisket chili. Second to none.

Supposed to snow this weekend so I'll be eating bread with milk like everybody else in Ga.
Ya'll are getting off easy. We likely to get 8"-10". The electric companies are just getting finished up repairs from the last one. Fuck this. I'm moving south.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuby642
@sirhrmechanic

I make a roast like my grandma and mom made when I was a boy. Take roast (mine are frozen, as they come from IA and my buddy there). I use any of them.
Old arm roast works great. seriously, found one that fell in the cracks and was 4 yrs old, in plastic and butcher paper in the freezer recently. NO idea it was that old when you ate it.

Put in cast iron, oven at 275 or 300. Top with a packet of Dry Onion soup mix. some will spill into pan, this works good. Cover with foil (needs some breathing room on sides, not a full cast lid on tight)
If not frozen, add 1/2" water.
After 60-90 min, check and add a little water, keep it low.
Cook for 4.5 hrs or so.

Add chopped up carrots and onions about 60 min left.

My kid likes mashed potatoes, so we make those on the stove. (she does it all, as she loves learning to cook)

As the meat rests from the pan, make some gravy. If you keep the water low enough during cooking, should just work out with a little corn starch and water to thicken it. You will have to remove some if not. I do not do any hippy crap to remove the fat from the drippings. Im ok with consuming it.

Serve with veggies, and bread. that crusty bread will be awesome to sop up the left over gravy.

May as well make your own bread too if you want it perfect!!!

I've been doing dutch over w/ lid some lately. Little olive oil. Sometimes I brown it before going in the oven. Let it cook all day at ~180. If I do elec slow cooker I add a can of beef broth to it. I like the dutch oven better, wife prefers crock pot.

@MtnCreek - do you get a good bark on the roast with the lid on?

When I was a boy, I just remember hearing if you want that crust, you need to use foil and “let it breathe” a bit vs a tight lid.

Gonna hafta try @theLBC trick for some roast beef for sammiches.
With pickles and mustard.
Maybe some swiss cheese.
Daves Killer Bread.

@MtnCreek - do you get a good bark on the roast with the lid on?

When I was a boy, I just remember hearing if you want that crust, you need to use foil and “let it breathe” a bit vs a tight lid.

Gonna hafta try @theLBC trick for some roast beef for sammiches.
With pickles and mustard.
Maybe some swiss cheese.
Daves Killer Bread.
No on the bark. I guess it's more like a slow steam with lid on. No liquid added. The meat is a little firmer than crockpot, slices well.

take a venison roast, throw it in the crock pot. add a jar of pepperoncini (liqui and all) and put some italian seasoning on it. cover and let it go. shred it when it is ready.

makes great sammiches, burrito meat, chili meat, enchiladas, or anything else you want to build with it.

Reactions: Anb618 and cast1
Hey Sir hr, you staying warm? looks like y'all are in for some really cold shit. Thanks for the pot roast idea!

Yeah, I make a few things. Stepping up our game with regards to the hot-sauce we make here. Having custom 6-gallon stainless steel pots made is a bit pricier than you'd expect. Same/same for 10 gallon pots.

It is the heavy, sandwich base that costs the most. But I digress.

We did a sirloin roast here just a few days ago. I spent some time trimming it very well, and then we put our rub all over it and that which was trimmed off.

Put that in the pan, covered it with all the trimmings, stuck an internal thermometer in it then put it in a 'low oven' and just slowly kept cooking it until it had a proper core temp. Then took it out and let it rest for at least an hour.

Was the best roast beef dinner we'd had in, ever. Then after it was cool, we brought out the meat slicer and I shaved that thing down to a big pile of shavings. Since then, we've been enjoying "Beef Dip" sandwiches with a good-sized pot of very fine Au Jus.

That all starts off with sauteing shallots, then adding in drippings (not fat) then some more stock, then a bottle of Cab Sav.

The right amount of salt, pepper, garlic, and chile powder and you're golden. And a touch of Wash-yer-sister Sauce.

My Lady has to stay away from my Hot Sauce now, as there is one particular Pepper in it, that she is now Very allergic to. As in, when we're pruning the plants, all she has to do is touch the leaves, then she immediately tastes it... and has to get an antihistimine RIGHT QUICK. (without bringing her hand to her mouth..... go figure?)

When I cook down the hot-sauce, she has to stay away so she spends that day with her mom. All other peppers are fine,,,, just that one. Completely different world.

A subject near and dear to my heart! As far as flavor, habaneros taste rancid to me. I like HOT, I got turned on to Dave's insanity sauce, even went through several bottles of "ultamate". My son is still a pepper warrior, I've mellowed. Currently I'm close to finishing a bottle of Dave's scorpion pepper sauce, while still hot, just not as much but the flavor is wonderful, a hint of fruitiness! I may have to go scramble some eggs now...