• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder Dispenser, "The Best" Harrels or???

Re: Powder Dispenser, "The Best" Harrels or???

In addition to the absolute precision of the Prometheus II, the design by Brand saves time because as you dump the load the next load is already in the volumetric powder measure. My Prometheus II is a masterpiece in the economy of motion.

winchester 69 u are a funny guy--almost fell off my stool after
reading you comment about the portability of Redding and Prometh!
yes, the Hide is also my source of entertainment LOL

I have a Harrel Custom 90 and have been really happy with it. But I also throw then weigh so I really don't ask much of it. It's fairly accurate with VARGET but I'd never throw straight to the case anyway...

RJ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like neil jones over harrells...have both. Check out Quick Measure link als very accurate and great support from manuf.

http://quick-measure.com/benchrest.htm

RCBS Chargemaster combo..takes no effort at all. </div></div>

Presently using the Quick-Measure Powder Charger from JDS (www.quick-measure.com). Solid construction w/ sick consistentcy! $160. Easily attaches to the shelf on my B&D Workmate style Reloading Bench. Planning to conduct accuracy/repeatability tests using a balance beam type scale with H/IMR4350, H4831, RE-19 powders on 270WSM cases. Will post results.

Strongly recommend the Q-M Powder Charger.

"..I do have to question if the "gnat's ass" accuracy you get is lost among the multitude of variables that comprise a rifle's accuracy potential.

Temperature alone is going to make a MUCH bigger change in the rate of powder burn, thus altering chamber pressure and the pressure/time curve than a kernel or two of powder ever will."
-------------------------------------------------------

Wisest thing in this thread.

BR guys who load on the line use a Harrels, etc, without weighting and using clicks is fine. Interesting thing is they often vary the measure a few clicks to compensate for temp changes as they occur. At home and when loading for other rifles the ones I know load with a conventional measure, scale and trickler.

I don't think anyone can prove that powder charges tighter than +/- half a tenth will ever matter and most any beam scale will do that quite well. Wonder if anyone who thinks a powder kernal makes a differece has ever measured the effect a tiny case volume difference makes on pressure; and even the best cases - and primers - aren't as consistant as we might like to think. And, at 1k yards, an invisible puff of head or tail wind will make more difference in virtical dispersion than a tenth of powder.

The Prometheus is an interesting gadget. But with loads made at home in whatever cases we have and then fired in whatever temp conditions exist at the range makes costly .00001 charge precision pointless. At least in my humble opinion. Your mileage may vary....but...really??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BT...what does that bad boy run $$$ wise?

Where can I get one? </div></div>

I have one that I am willing to sell for the right price. Fully functionable and it kicks ass!

I bought mine from Bill Wylde, yes <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">THE Bill Wylde</span></span> but I my price was $1500. (ask him if you don't believe me).

So, still interested in buying a Prometheus?
grin.gif