• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

powder for long barreled 338 lm

blackwidow2912

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere where you can't see me
i am about to start a build in 338 lapua. i haven't decided if it is gonna have a 30" or a 32" barrel.i want to shoot lehigh's 245gr solid with a b.c. of .869. what powder would you recommend for accuracy and to get 2950-3000 fps. i plan on shooting as far as i can hopefully a mile. thanks for the info!

Re: powder for long barreled 338 lm

RL 25 seems to be the consensus for 338 LM. At least, that's what I run in mine.

I shot Retumbo for a good while and still do but I also use reloader 19, seems that I must be the only one but with 250 gr. smk's or scenars I hit 2950 with ease.

Go with Retumbo the long barrel and the extreme powder will get you great velocity with less pressures and small extreme spred it is more stable at diferent tempritures.

i have heard n-165 and n-170 has worked in the 338 lapua. how is it in a long barrel and with extreme changes in temp.? boretech bullets gives 90.0 gr of retumbo and 80.0 gr of n-165 for their loads with the bullet 70 thousandths off the lands

The VV 100 series powders are nearly as good as the extreeme powders made here in Australia By ADI for Hodgdon so VV170 would also be a good choice and is good in extreme changes in weather you could give it a try if you wanted to but the cost diference between it and retumbo gets my first try with Retumbo you will be GTG.

H1000

RL25

Retumbo

All good powders. My rifle has a 26" barrel.

N165 , IMHO, isn't a good powder. Too much recoil, and that's with a brake.