• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder funnels

I’ve used the saterns and the 419 set. If your only going to ever load one caliber the satern is great. The 419 is better in my opinion and the flexibility to add a drop tubes or a new caliber with is nice. I had 4 satern funnels and sold them off after I moved to the 419.

Question on the Area 419 set. Will the included heads work for 6.8SPC (.277) or would I need a separate head for .270?
They include a .264 and .284.
Anyone have the pistol head? Does it work? I load subsonic 357 and 44 individually.

Question on the Area 419 set. Will the included heads work for 6.8SPC (.277) or would I need a separate head for .270?
They include a .264 and .284.
Anyone have the pistol head? Does it work? I load subsonic 357 and 44 individually.
Pistol head works just fine, it actually goes into the mouth of the pistol cases instead of around the outside. I load 357 mag on mine with no issues.

Another vote for 419, bought the set and couldnt be happier

Reactions: Holliday
Using a basic Lyman plastic funnel for over a decade. Some folks just need an excuse to spend money on function that a sheet of paper can do.
I have been using an RCBS plastic for years. I thought the same thing when I looked at the area 419 but gave it a go anyway. I'm glad I did, It sped up my powder loading significantly. No more pouring too fast and having the funnel stall. No more tapping. Just pour and get the pan back on the scale for the next charge.

It's impressive to see how many recommendations there are on here for the Area 419. I bought one about 4 months ago and I'm still blow away with how fast the powder just flies into the case! I honestly can't believe I spent close to 20 years tapping on a plastic funnel. With the Area 419, you notice the difference in the speed of the powder drop with no tapping immediately. I never timed myself, but I'm willing to bet that I can load 100 rounds about 10-15% quicker now that I took the tapping out of the equation.

I haven't read every post, just scrolled to the end to say this...

Once a buddy recommended aluminum Satern funnels and I bought 2 and used them.....I never want to EVER use a plastic funnel again

For anyone on the fence wondering if Satern (or similar) are worth it.....buy one for yourself and try.......some of the best money I ever spent....literally

It's hard to justify the 100 bucks for a funnel set when a plastic funnel is 4 bucks, but I'm telling ya, after using them you will never go back. Untill I read the above posts I forgot about the powder stalling in my plastic funnel, having to tap it to clear it up. All of that is in the past. Now I dump the charge and it just flows. If I'm loading to near 95 to 100 percent case volume I throw on some drop tubes and just dump the powder and it works perfect. Buy area 419, you will not regret it

Using a basic Lyman plastic funnel for over a decade. Some folks just need an excuse to spend money on function that a sheet of paper can do.

It's true, you can use a basic plastic funnel your whole life if you want or need to be frugal. People were making very good ammunition 75+ years ago with what was available then. If I were to measure the time spent fiddling with kernels of powder, especially spherical powder, clinging to the plastic funnels as well as factoring in the associated levels of frustration over the last 25 years of my reloading, then apply a monetary value to my own time, the $100 on a frustration-free funnel set becomes an absolute no-brainer. If your plastic funnels aren't causing you any frustration and you aren't able to determine that you're wasting a measurable amount of time by using them, then that's great and you can save that $100.

In all honesty, if you spend much time reloading at all, it probably wouldn't take very long with a modern funnel before you'd think, "oh wow, this actually is a lot less annoying!" Whether that would be worth the money is all up to you though.

Reactions: greybeard0058
It's true, you can use a basic plastic funnel your whole life if you want or need to be frugal. People were making very good ammunition 75+ years ago with what was available then. If I were to measure the time spent fiddling with kernels of powder, especially spherical powder, clinging to the plastic funnels as well as factoring in the associated levels of frustration over the last 25 years of my reloading, then apply a monetary value to my own time, the $100 on a frustration-free funnel set becomes an absolute no-brainer. If your plastic funnels aren't causing you any frustration and you aren't able to determine that you're wasting a measurable amount of time by using them, then that's great and you can save that $100.

In all honesty, if you spend much time reloading at all, it probably wouldn't take very long with a modern funnel before you'd think, "oh wow, this actually is a lot less annoying!" Whether that would be worth the money is all up to you though.
You said exactly how I feel but didn't take the time to write out lol.

Seriously.....to anyone reloading these are a no Brainer

If you just load one caliber.....just buy that one nice metal funnel .. you will Seriously thank yourself

All depends where you live. I can leave a blued gun out for two years and never get rust, but I think I live in the capitol of static electricity. Area 419 works great. Plastic funnels absolutely do not. The best anti static funnel is from MK Machining, but it looks like it belongs to an S&M mistress and the Dillon attachment is for the shits.

I have been using the satern funnels but just pony upped for the area 419 ones. Excited to see if they live up to the hype.

I have been using the satern funnels but just pony upped for the area 419 ones. Excited to see if they live up to the hype.

I had a .338 Satern but still used plastic funnels for everything else when I finally bought the 419 set. I was pretty satisfied with the Satern and I don't think I would have bothered "upgrading" to the 419 set if I were only loading the one caliber or if I had already had Satern/MKM funnels for other calibers. I feel like all the benefits that have been mentioned here were also present in the Satern funnel, at least for me specifically. Interested to hear your opinion on them after you've had more time to use the 419 set.

I have 2 Satern funnels... .22 and .30 cal models.

Honestly, the .30 cal Satern didn't show much advantage over the plastic Lee funnel... But I did have to wipe the Lee funnel with a fabric softener sheet... The agony.

But neither of my plastic funnels worked worth a damn on .223 cases... So for .223 the Satern funnel made a world of difference.

Mike

Reactions: iceng
my the most wasted money was forster long funnel...

the most stupid thing on the earth... if you have problems with volume and compressed load, get different powder!

The set from Lyman is top quality at a reasonable price. The fit and finish is terrific ... never lost a single flake of powder.

The only modification I made to my Lyman funnel is cutting the handle off. Balance is much better now.

Precision Hardcore Gear.

I tried a lot of different funnels and then settled on the Saterns. On a whim I tried the above and now have one in every caliber. Where the Satern would bridge N570 a bout half the time I get about two out of 100 with the Precision Hardcore gear. I'll never try another funnel.

Reactions: Moose
I used the satern for years on 223 but when I used it on the 223AI the powder would spill and when i went to the PHG 223 funnel the problem was solved.

I used the 'ol plastic RCBS funnels for a long time, but a few months ago I jumped over to Area419 and haven't looked back. Like all A419 products, their funnels are awesome. I'd advise ordering the set of attachments just for simplicity's sake. Also, I wish they'd make sizes appropriate for pistol calibers since I sometimes load handgun ammo on my Rock Chucker. Currently for handgun stuff I'm using the caliber-specific Satern funnels and they work fine.
tempImageTx8wvR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Schütze and iceng
Tried my Area 419 last night for the first time using H110 in .44 Mag cases. Same result, powder just flies into the case. With my old RCBS I would literally have to tap it 5-7 times to make sure all of the powder was in.

I honestly think that this is the first thread I've read on the Hide where 99% of posters are in agreement. Definitely a clue for anyone reading this in the future.

Reactions: simonp
Potentially dumb question here out of ignorance...

What is gained by the nicer funnels? I'm using the plastic one that came with an RCBS kit, and while cheap, it does seem to effectively funnel powder from my scale into the brass...

Also feel free to ignore the question so that I'm not tempted to order a set of 100 funnels!

What is gained by the nicer funnels? I'm using the plastic one that came with an RCBS kit, and while cheap, it does seem to effectively funnel powder from my scale into the brass...

Also feel free to ignore the question so that I'm not tempted to order a set of 100 funnels!
It's mostly a big deal if you live in an area with tons of static.

It's mostly a big deal if you live in an area with tons of static.
Makes sense. I will occasionally get 1 kernel that wants to stick, but usually no issues loading brass. When I go to pour powder back into the jug is when I see a lot of static. Not sure why the difference, but can usually shake almost all the powder off.

What is gained by going to a luxury watch, car, or suit? There's a functionality component such as it works right all the time vs. the cheaper option witch works right some of the time. But there's also a qualitative components in that it's just nice to work with high quality equipment. It makes the job easier, with less fuss, and with less time spent cursing at things that technically work but not as well. Model Ts work, Mustangs work much better (unless you happen to be one of those Chevy guys who actually thinks the Camaro is a good car).

Makes sense. I will occasionally get 1 kernel that wants to stick, but usually no issues loading brass. When I go to pour powder back into the jug is when I see a lot of static. Not sure why the difference, but can usually shake almost all the powder off.
No stalling, no tapping, faster……

No stalling, no tapping, faster……
I've got plenty of time to tap while my CM lite throws a charge (On a separate table).

I could definitely see a value to that though if you're cranking out rounds or have already upgraded some of the other stuff.

I've got plenty of time to tap while my CM lite throws a charge (On a separate table).

I could definitely see a value to that though if you're cranking out rounds or have already upgraded some of the other stuff.
Jesus dude.

I finally caved and got the Area 419 set. I've been using the Satern funnels for awhile and they do work mostly fine, but still occasionally have powder stuck multiple times in the same session (ball powder). I would end up having to use physically move the remaining bits out, as even smacking it wouldn't work.

Anyway... the Area 419 funnel is flawless so far, not even a crumb stuck and the powder flies on through pretty quick.

Reactions: simonp
All depends where you live. I can leave a blued gun out for two years and never get rust, but I think I live in the capitol of static electricity. Area 419 works great. Plastic funnels absolutely do not. The best anti static funnel is from MK Machining, but it looks like it belongs to an S&M mistress and the Dillon attachment is for the shits.
Whats wrong with the dillon attachment?

I also wish I'd have purchased the 419 set sooner.
I've got one Satern funnel and it's great also but this eliminates the need for more than one funnel.

Had the Area 419, it couldn't handle N570 being dumped in without bridging. Sold it and got the SAC since I already have the comparator inserts and head space gage. Not only is it way better, the funnel sits on the case a lot more solid than any funnel on the market.

I bought the new Hornady set. Made very well. I had a bunch of Cabela's bucks to spend.

My first time trying it was in 223 Rem. using IMR 3031. I got some bridging and gave up using it with that big stick powder. Too big of powder and too small of a neck. A $5.00 plastic funnel worked better.

Otherwise, the set is pretty nice for under $50.00. Has most common calibers.

I freely admit that I felt a little silly paying all that money to 419 for the funnel kit, right up until I received it and started to use it! Is it pricier than one needs to spend on funnels, probably. Is it over engineered and built for the purpose, sure. Is it a great product and great to use, most definitely. I was out a few bucks from my old set that I gave to a buddy when he started to reload but its all good. The longer I reload the more items I wish I had paid the top dollar day one to get rather than incrementally improve my gear, would have saved me a bunch of money in the long run, whether I would have learned more / faster or whether I would have learned less and slower without the trials and tribulations I will never know.