• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Powder scale problems

JFranco

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2012
Hey guys, this question may have been asked here in the past but a search yielded no answer. I have an RCBS rangemaster sumtinsumtin thatgoes to negative weight every single time and it is very anoying!!! I need recommendation for a really good powder scale, preferably one that will measure to 0.00. Please help! Thanks

They are out there, but expensive. Sartorius GD503 and AY123, Gempro are some of the ones that people have used.

A&Dfx120i scale plus a charge master ( or 3 lol) plus an omega powder trickler = BAD ASS loads within .002 grains

I have owned a Sartorius scale for several years now. It is so sensitive that slight variances in temp or slight air movement is detected. Be careful where you place it. Other than that, it is everything it is advertised to be and satisfies me 200%. It allows one to change weight types. Grains or Grams for me works well. Can't go wrong. I use it when dialing in a weight on my Harrell's Powder measure. It's always within 0.050 of a grain, that's how good. Of course it depends on the powder you're using and your throw technique. Nothing like a Harrells. Brunos is making their powder measure again with some improvements. Check it out.

Plug it into an different outlet.
Use it somewhere else in the house and see if it gives you the same trouble. If it straightens up, I put my money on line noise. Clamp a ferrite bead noise filter on the power cord.
Also called EMI Filters.

My pact scale is troublesome that way, or I should say finicky which outlet it want's plugged into.

Some scales, I feel are overkill.

Too sensitive, too finicky, and have too high a resolution. Its hard for me to believe that even the best BR shooter can recognize OR SHOOT the differences a 0.005Gr scale can resolve.

In reality, 0.05 Gr really should be the limitation on anyone's' load resolution. Better resolution I feel can simply lead to overly OCD weighing behavior that burns loading time at the expense of shooting time. The GD503 is a beautiful scale in terms of stability, but far more than needed for loading purposes.

But then, your money, your time,. your choice.