• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder unavailability

I've got news for you, this is an election year as such EVERYTHING is going to be super scarce/expensive.
I fail to see what the election year has to do with powder scarcity. Now Ukrainian and Tawain and the pathetic state of our stockpiles is something to be concerned so far this year I have sent a small fortune on powder bullets and primers not so much because my stocks are low but the guns I mentioned are all acquired in the last six months and I still have a Shiloh sharps due this summer after three years lastly I am going to a precision rifle built in 6 mm gt
That is a lot to work up loads for! Hence my need for additional material my original stockpile can’t support. Then I found out most of the powders I usually use are not available. Which lead to my first opinion of why there was a shortage. If people have seen my addenda to last weeks post you will see I have a different prospective now.

To All who chimed in, particularly the more negative ones, that seem more interested in sexual connotations. I had a conversation with Hodgdon today about the powder situation. They do not expect any relief before the summer at best due to the unavailability of nitrocellulose. With regard to eliminating Enduron powders only 5 poor selling powders will be discontinued; they are 4166, 4451, 4955, 7077,and 8133. They recognize that many IMR powders such as 4350 and 4895 are very popular and will continue.
Also you can go to their Web site and order available powders. As for the unavailable such as 4895 they have a wish list where you can list what you want, that is not available. I have no idea how much this could help on future delivery but I put 7 on my list!

Better take a shower ,You've been Hosed !. Some industry jerk wad is blowing smoke up your ass ,because Hodgdon doesn't manufacture it ,they ONLY source it . As I've already stated in another section of this forum , NONE of the components are in short supply .

Making Nitrocellulose isn't difficult nor expensive . Aka cellulose nitrate , nitrating cellulose through exposure to nitric fume and sulfuric acid to prevent dilution .
The process uses the nitric acid to convert the cellulose into cellulose nitrite and water:
Chemical formula is :
2HNO3+ C6H10O5 → C6H8(NO2)2O5 + 2H2O

The sulfuric acid is used to prevent the water produced from the reaction , from diluting the concentrated nitric acid. Bases for single double and even triple base smokeless powders .

https://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/4834956/2024-nitrocellulose-market-outlook-report

Better take a shower ,You've been Hosed !. Some industry jerk wad is blowing smoke up your ass ,because Hodgdon doesn't manufacture it ,they ONLY source it . As I've already stated in another section of this forum , NONE of the components are in short supply .

Making Nitrocellulose isn't difficult nor expensive . Aka cellulose nitrate , nitrating cellulose through exposure to nitric fume and sulfuric acid to prevent dilution .
The process uses the nitric acid to convert the cellulose into cellulose nitrite and water:
Chemical formula is :
2HNO3+ C6H10O5 → C6H8(NO2)2O5 + 2H2O

The sulfuric acid is used to prevent the water produced from the reaction , from diluting the concentrated nitric acid. Bases for single double and even triple base smokeless powders .

https://www.researchandmarkets.com/reports/4834956/2024-nitrocellulose-market-outlook-report
I am well aware of how yeti make nitroCellulose it is basically the same for nitroglycerin quoting the chemical formulas is unimpressive there are only so many production lines and so many workers to man them we have one ear on and we have to prepare for the next one. The state of our readiness, a large part of which material particularly such items as 155 mm howitzer shells. I believe nitrocellulose is one of the main components in the propellant for these. And with the retard in charge the situation is even more dire.
Does Hodgdon make the nitro… I don’t know I was of the opinion general dynamics did and I bet they their asses are sucking wind. So fuck off till you know haw bad off we are

I am well aware of how yeti make nitroCellulose it is basically the same for nitroglycerin quoting the chemical formulas is unimpressive there are only so many production lines and so many workers to man them we have one ear on and we have to prepare for the next one. The state of our readiness, a large part of which material particularly such items as 155 mm howitzer shells. I believe nitrocellulose is one of the main components in the propellant for these. And with the retard in charge the situation is even more dire.
Does Hodgdon make the nitro… I don’t know I was of the opinion general dynamics did and I bet they their asses are sucking wind. So fuck off till you know haw bad off we are

NO Hodgdon only sources powders from manufacturers they DON'T make shit never have . With exception to black powder Pyrodex substitute or at least used too .

ATK ,General Dynamics produces Winchester powder and Ball ONLY at the old St. Marks facility in Florida . They do repackage some Ball powers for Hodgdon , such as H 110= Winchester 296 .

USA regulations Government bureaucratic crap has all but driven out any USA smokeless powder producers . Only ATK aka General Dynamics remains and they're Military producers #1 ,so shortages are probable . NO surplus ammo from Lake City ,because Biden stopped sales !.

Now with France ( St. Gobain ) acquiring CSR & Thales ( formerly ADI ) Hodgdon's is up Shit Creek without a paddle .

https://www.aumanufacturing.com.au/australia-and-france-collaborate-in-supplying-ukraine

I've got news for you, this is an election year as such EVERYTHING is going to be super scarce/expensive.
Beg to disagree on why there wont be powder it isn't the elect ion no reason there. it is the coming war that we are not prepared for. The same material we need they need for the artillery

@Frank Green is the reason I have north of 150lbs of powder stocked up (including more than 30 of RL 26 - I'm getting nervous there, as I'm down from my high of 45lbs!)

Back in the October before Ukraine started, when PMing about/ordering a barrel, he gave me cryptic advice to stock up on everything reloading related. Not that I needed too much prodding given the pandemic had made stuff scarce, but this, combined with a few acquaintances in the military telling me "something is up" made me really take it to heart. I bought up every bit of powder I could find that I regularly loaded, regardless of price (yes, I paid the Gunbroker tax on quite a few lbs and on not an insignificant number of primers and bullets). I actually drove three hours up to Reno because a "local" store had 6 lbs of RL26 - only 2 remained by the time I arrived. At least it's a nice drive...

Today, I don't fret about component availability, as I can look up as I write this and gaze into my closet where I have ~15k primers, a bunch of powder, and not enough support on the shelves to carry the weight of all my bullets.

Thanks Frank! (though my bank account does not like you)

TL: DR When Frank talks, listen.
I haven’t seen rl 26 since 2020…good for you

Reactions: FireFoot and cuirc
Maybe in 3 years time frame from what I'm hearing/seeing.

read my post #32.

I'll add VV powder is a little more available.

Guys we make ammunition test barrels even for the powder makers... usually I can order powder direct and I haven't been able to order anything direct for the last about 1.5 years.

I followed your advice in our conversation by phone a month or so ago on this and a few other topics, and bought an 8lb jug of VV N555 since it was a powder you mentioned as well suited for 6.5CM.

Glad I did as you advised, should keep me in business for the rest of this year and I can get more powder as it comes up without worrying too much about it.

I haven’t seen rl 26 since 2020…good for you
Frank: My recent review of the situation only endorses your prudencey War is coming Ukraine seems most likely but I am also concerned about China. The possibility of France and Poland intervening and drawing other NATO members and Putin using battlefield nukes will draw the rest of NATO and WW3!! I doubt a full nuclear exchange because genetically non of us are suicidal. But grab every bit of ammo and components you can I am going to check the CMP for 308 as well as buy any component I can use.
Problem here is everyone else will have to do the same so to the quick go the rewards. And practice our long range skills; those still young enough to pull a trigger or spot will be needed. We can't count on this current Generation.

Reactions: Frank Green
Frank: My recent review of the situation only endorses your prudencey War is coming Ukraine seems most likely but I am also concerned about China. The possibility of France and Poland intervening and drawing other NATO members and Putin using battlefield nukes will draw the rest of NATO and WW3!! I doubt a full nuclear exchange because genetically non of us are suicidal. But grab every bit of ammo and components you can I am going to check the CMP for 308 as well as buy any component I can use.
Problem here is everyone else will have to do the same so to the quick go the rewards. And practice our long range skills; those still young enough to pull a trigger or spot will be needed. We can't count on this current Generation.

I'd worry a little closer to Home ,as in Southern border infiltrators and their pals who've replaced the millions now squatting illegally inside our Country . Thanks in large part to criminal demented pedophile masquerading as someone who knows anything !.

I'd worry a little closer to Home ,as in Southern border infiltrators and their pals who've replaced the millions now squatting illegally inside our Country . Thanks in large part to criminal demented pedophile masquerading as someone who knows anything !.
That's two worries only a change in administration will help alleviate some of it

O/P, after 5 pages of this, if someone wants to help, could you list the exact powders you're looking for?

I'm sure some of your needed powders may show up here or there on a powder supplier's inventory somewhere. If someone see one of your needed powders, they can let you know.

O/P, after 5 pages of this, if someone wants to help, could you list the exact powders you're looking for?

I'm sure some of your needed powders may show up here or there on a powder supplier's inventory somewhere. If someone see one of your needed powders, they can let you know.
Thank You for the thought if you followed this we did get into a lot distractions all of which were entertaining.
But as far as powers go that I would like to get they are 7278, 4895 and Ram shot Magnum. One thing this. exercise did was convince me to look at outer powders so I wound up with about 10 new powders to work with

Reactions: FireFoot
Thank You for the thought if you followed this we did get into a lot distractions all of which were entertaining.
But as far as powers go that I would like to get they are 7278, 4895 and Ram shot Magnum. One thing this. exercise did was convince me to look at outer powders so I wound up with about 10 new powders to work with
I don't know if you're aware of this, Accurate 2495 is a close equivalent for IMR 4895. Accurate 2495 used to be sourced overseas. It is now sourced from the General Dynamics powder plant in Valleyfield, Ontario, Canada. The same plant that produces most of the IMR branded rifle powders. Look at the current IMR and Accurate powder containers. They will show they are made in Canada.

I had 2- 8# containers of the old Accurate 4064. It was sourced from the Czech Republic. That powder was very good.

I'm down to the last pound of the Czech sourced powder, so I recently bought a new can of Accurate 4064 to try. It is Made in Canada. I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Accurate 2495 might be worth trying out.

Reactions: cuirc
I don't know if you're aware of this, Accurate 2495 is a close equivalent for IMR 4895. Accurate 2495 used to be sourced overseas. It is now sourced from the General Dynamics powder plant in Valleyfield, Ontario, Canada. The same plant that produces most of the IMR branded rifle powders. Look at the current IMR and Accurate powder containers. They will show they are made in Canada.

I had 2- 8# containers of the old Accurate 4064. It was sourced from the Czech Republic. That powder was very good.

I'm down to the last pound of the Czech sourced powder, so I recently bought a new can of Accurate 4064 to try. It is Made in Canada. I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Accurate 2495 might be worth trying out.
No I was not aware of that detail, I am not comfortable experimenting with powders even when I have good reason to be comfortable with their similarity. From the loading books which I stick to, I probably could be comfortable working up a load for 4895 using H4895 data; if you look at the loads for each they are similar. I have a nuclear background which disposes me to follow procedure strictly.

No I was not aware of that detail, I am not comfortable experimenting with powders even when I have good reason to be comfortable with their similarity. From the loading books which I stick to, I probably could be comfortable working up a load for 4895 using H4895 data; if you look at the loads for each they are similar. I have a nuclear background which disposes me to follow procedure strictly.

What fun is that ,live a little experiment just remember the 5% rule and Don't exceed it .

Fyi : After 58.4 years of reloading ,still got both eyes ,ears ,hands and ALL their digits and have NEVER ruined a weapon yet !.

Manuals are GOOD things ,they give Min-Max. charges for calibers based upon bullet weights as well as " PRESSURES " .

However I as many have Multiple manuals and NO two are set in stone . Pressure signs of cases or sticky bolt lifts are the shooters guideline .

Don't worry about Brand change as much as Powder Type change . Perfect case in point ; H110 is Winchester 296 ,regardless of what manuals say ,they're the same damn powder .

H4350 and IMR 4350 are NOT the same . Reasoning is Hodgdon didn't want to be sued ,for infringing on Dupont's formula ,so they requested a variation in the stabilizer . MANY MANY Powder distributors also needed slight variations so as NOT to duplicate a Company's powder ,it's patent infringement or was during manufacturing by the " Other Company " . Now days Powder is made outside USA and by " Other Company's " !.
So USA distributors sell the " Other Company's " powders and not everyone makes it just like the Old Company's did .
Hence the %5 rule ,variation from Batch to batch ,original formula improvements as well as " Newer" additives .

Reactions: FireFoot and cuirc
For what ever the reason we all agree that for some powders there is a current scarcity. I recently saw a report on the scarcity of 155mm Howitzer shells. Their propellant is predominantly or completely is nitrocellulose.
The possibility of a war in Europe and elsewhere involving us should not be ignored. I am buying all the powders I can use (thanks for the input from this thread I became aware of the world of powders outside of IMR and have reacted to it. I think at some point in the near future the availability of any powder in questionable.
I certainly hope I am wrong.

Reactions: Im2bent
i just ordered 8 lb's of AA 2520 .first i was in shock .had been looking for weeks no one had any. i had been thinking oh well so much for that powder, it gone for ever .and i got it with free shipping oh happy days ,its my go to for 223 85 gr Barnes

i just ordered 8 lb's of AA 2520 .first i was in shock .had been looking for weeks no one had any. i had been thinking oh well so much for that powder, it gone for ever .and i got it with free shipping oh happy days ,its my go to for 223 85 gr Barnes
Where did you order from?

either get free shipping or free hazmat .this time its free shipping . works out about the same

Reactions: LR1845