• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Powder unavailability

Folks who have taken the time to reply to my call in the wilderness.
I thought my letter would find some support among re-loaders who are frustrated about the problem getting powder. I guess I just kicked over a nest hornets of Powder Maker Lovers.
If any of you good people out there think I am right; join in an write a letter too.
Does your powder room have a big mirrors and 6' wide vanity with a bidet? Just asking:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: DubfromGA
Where did all the adults run off too ?. Shit slinging does what ? invite flies !.
More conversation directed at the topic is beneficial to ALL concerned ,childish wedgie popping just leaves rashes .

Reactions: cuirc
Where did all the adults run off too ?. Shit slinging does what ? invite flies !.
More conversation directed at the topic is beneficial to ALL concerned ,childish wedgie popping just leaves rashes .
You are absolutely right problem is the childishness in them brings out the childishness in me

John Quirk

[email protected]

This is an open letter to the Powder Manufacturers.

A number of powders have been out of stock for an unacceptable period of time. Some popular IMR powders like 4895, 7828, have been unavailable approaching six months others like
( I am told) 4955 even longer.

What is going on? If you look for instance at Powder Valley and sort on IMR powders you will find most are out of stock. Is Hodgeon Powder Company purposely not manufacturing these in favor of their own? Well Hodgeon they aren’t the same!!

Assuming I am wrong in my insinuation, Hodgeon should make a public statement in the various discipline publications; stating the reason for their delay and a timetable for reintroduction of these important powders
There’s no shortage of powder in Iowa. I’m sure you could easily buy these online too.

Attachments

• IMG_0560.jpeg
    IMG_0560.jpeg
    670.4 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Frank Green
There’s no shortage of powder in Iowa. I’m sure you could easily buy these online too.
Well I have tried at least 6 suppliers including Powder Valley with no luck /i see he has 7828 I don't see 3895 or Ramshot Magnum the three I need the most will he ship if has them?

I like loading .308. It's an easy caliber to get results with. The days of .25 per round are limited to stock on hand from a long time ago. These days I approach $1 a round using match components carefully shopped on sale, in bulk, etc.

I can pay a little more to enjoy my hobby or buy factory ammo. Just do like everyone else. Try new powders when they are priced attractively or pay the going price for your old favorite. Every weekend I see free shipping/haz. Not my first rodeo on component shortages or creative sourcing.
This. Flexibility in powder choice is the key to continued reloading. Unless a shooter is a national class competitor, some less familiar powder will probably work fine.

Reactions: RTH1800 and tinker
I am starting to move away form my old favorites of all the IMRs there are about two available fortunately one is 4350 they even have it on sale! Blemished bullets is another place to economize for load workup and practice. But a match you have to go top shelf where you can. I shoot 338L and that is about as expensive as it gets. But using Lapua cases I can get a lot of loads out of a case an that helps the economics. I spent most of today doing laundry (tumbling and drying cases). Tomorrow I load 100 Lapua and 100 223 and whatever 308 I can fill in. I just got an M-24 it is a dream.

Then just go ahead and click on the "click to notify" tab then. Click it and wait to be notified. Go ahead. Click it. Then sit there and hold your breath.

Hodgdon released a statement that they were discontinuing the Enduron line of powders a couple years ago. There was quite a discussion/outcry about it on the internet.

Don't believe me? Or anyone else saying the same thing? Try Googling it.

Mike
I remember. I’ve got enough.

VV powders are the best value these days, IMO.

I'm swapping everything over to VV.

Did that my own self about 3-4 years ago ,pricing became very competitive and a year ago was on average around $10.00 per lb. less .

I picked up 8 lb. high energy ( N540-N560-N568 ) for under $230.00 . Same time I also scored IMR 4350-4227-4064 around $225.00 .

Then seemed all hell broke lose and powder shot up nearing $400.00 per 8 lb. . I also had picked up Federal Gold metal primers for $44.95 a K along with other brands . A far cry from what I used to pay in bulk ( $12.50- $14.50 per K by the case lots #8 X5 K or 40K primers ) . Sadly those days are now History . Fyi ; I was still purchasing for those prices in 2009 -10 .

Reactions: kthomas
We all should have stocked up when I started reloading. Kept it in a nice cool place. Might have lasted 55 years. Who knows? $4.00 for a pound of powder (none of us shot enough to use 8 pound kegs, though once when a new magic powder for .25-06 was released, I purchased 5 pounds, wow, $20.00). Primers with a buck per hundred and bullets might run $4.50 to $5 per hundred.

But then, a box of 20 rounds from the factory would also set you back about 4 to 5 bucks. And for sale everywhere. Oh, .22 rimfires, never more than $0.50 a box. Pick up a box of .22 shorts, load em in my Ruger Single Six and enjoy an afternoon plinking cans out at the levy by Moon Lake. Hearing protection….What? Speak louder please.

Getting back to the subject at hand, right now, March 2024, powder in most popular brands seems to be available everywhere. Don’t understand what the op’s problem is. Gotta pay, but then my first brand new pickup cost 5K, try to purchase the equivalent today for anything less than 60 or 70K. Sign of the times gentleman. Want to play, gotta pay.

We all should have stocked up when I started reloading. Kept it in a nice cool place. Might have lasted 55 years. Who knows? $4.00 for a pound of powder (none of us shot enough to use 8 pound kegs, though once when a new magic powder for .25-06 was released, I purchased 5 pounds, wow, $20.00). Primers with a buck per hundred and bullets might run $4.50 to $5 per hundred.

But then, a box of 20 rounds from the factory would also set you back about 4 to 5 bucks. And for sale everywhere. Oh, .22 rimfires, never more than $0.50 a box. Pick up a box of .22 shorts, load em in my Ruger Single Six and enjoy an afternoon plinking cans out at the levy by Moon Lake. Hearing protection….What? Speak louder please.

Getting back to the subject at hand, right now, March 2024, powder in most popular brands seems to be available everywhere. Don’t understand what the op’s problem is. Gotta pay, but then my first brand new pickup cost 5K, try to purchase the equivalent today for anything less than 60 or 70K. Sign of the times gentleman. Want to play, gotta pay.
Don't mind paining but it has to b available disagree that most popular powders are available the list is too long to repeat but check out Magnum Benchrest H489 5 The only popular powder that I am aware of that is available is 4350. But lets agree to disagree and keep it civil.

Reactions: Haney
Bottom line concerning components ( Stay Vigilant shop sales watch market trends ,stock when availability exceeds demand ) .
I know that's easy to say ,yet having done just that over near #6 decades has allowed Me to amass stockpiles of components in various locations .
Having just taken inventory yesterday and finishing today . Happy to report I'll need Nothing for the remainder of my life concerning shooting .

So time for all you young-ins to step up and fill your coffers ,when sales become just that SALES ;)

I am one of those people that doesn’t mind changing powder brands. i like using IMR 20000 for my .308 with 185 juggernauts. But when you look at say vihtavuori. You can not get it close to what IMR 2000 will do.According to vihtavuoris site. I hate buying powder for it to sit on the shelf. I had the Same issue with H1000 in my 300 win mag. Bought it because everyone brags on it. But came nowhere close to what I expected.

Bottom line concerning components ( Stay Vigilant shop sales watch market trends ,stock when availability exceeds demand ) .
I know that's easy to say ,yet having done just that over near #6 decades has allowed Me to amass stockpiles of components in various locations .
Having just taken inventory yesterday and finishing today . Happy to report I'll need Nothing for the remainder of my life concerning shooting .

So time for all you young-ins to step up and fill your coffers ,when sales become just that SALES ;)
My hero, I bet my stash is bigger than yours. :rolleyes: Another old guy here, but who really gives a shit?

2000mr is available in 8 lbs at PV
I know I was just trying to make a point why someone might get hung up on the powder they like using.
8208 was my go to until it became hard to get.

But I appreciate you letting me know.

Last edited:
To All who chimed in, particularly the more negative ones, that seem more interested in sexual connotations. I had a conversation with Hodgdon today about the powder situation. They do not expect any relief before the summer at best due to the unavailability of nitrocellulose. With regard to eliminating Enduron powders only 5 poor selling powders will be discontinued; they are 4166, 4451, 4955, 7077,and 8133. They recognize that many IMR powders such as 4350 and 4895 are very popular and will continue.
Also you can go to their Web site and order available powders. As for the unavailable such as 4895 they have a wish list where you can list what you want, that is not available. I have no idea how much this could help on future delivery but I put 7 on my list!

To All who chimed in, particularly the more negative ones, that seem more interested in sexual connotations. I had a conversation with Hodgdon today about the powder situation. They do not expect any relief before the summer at best due to the unavailability of nitrocellulose. With regard to eliminating Enduron powders only 5 poor selling powders will be discontinued; they are 4166, 4451, 4955, 7077,and 8133. They recognize that many IMR powders such as 4350 and 4895 are very popular and will continue.
Also you can go to their Web site and order available powders. As for the unavailable such as 4895 they have a wish list where you can list what you want, that is not available. I have no idea how much this could help on future delivery but I put 7 on my list!
What a relief to hear some good news today.

My primer factory is officially a bust. Seems the guy I was sending money to was not real, and has disappeared with my investment.

Thank you for relaying this late breaking news.

I have been wondering what was going on with powder lately.

“Don’t understand what the op’s problem is. “

OP is probably not a reloader. You all are being trolled. He is probably on others sites lamenting the shortage, selection and price of tampons.

“Don’t understand what the op’s problem is. “

OP is probably not a reloader. You all are being trolled. He is probably on others sites lamenting the shortage, selection and price of tampons.
You know I heard that re-loaders only work with half their brain they use the other half to worry about whether there still can get sex or not.

Question is: Is the OP going to learn his lesson about stocking up in this his 12th powder shortage over his 55-year reloading career?

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
Question is: Is the OP going to learn his lesson about stocking up in this his 12th powder shortage over his 55-year reloading career?
I have reviewed what is available for my 338 lapua, 308 win and 223 REM all totaled I bought 8 pounds of different available powders to work with but I hope they weren’t just saying that they would have powder my sometime in the summer

I have reviewed what is available for my 338 lapua, 308 win and 223 REM all totaled I bought 8 pounds of different available powders to work with but I hope they weren’t just saying that they would have powder my sometime in the summer
I've got news for you, this is an election year as such EVERYTHING is going to be super scarce/expensive.