• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Practical SBRs

Ae223g 50gr jhp according to labradar does 2950 out of 10.5 and 3k out of 12.5.

I love the SBR subsonic 300Blk guys...they're easy to spot too. They're the ones always swearing that they "shot that hog right here" and "I have no idea where it must have run off to".

Ha...That almost made me spit my coffee out. I just went on a trip where my buddy with the 300Blk pistol said exactly that.

It's been a while since I threw the V3 on mine, but I could swear my LMT 10.5" upper with an SDN6 was slinging 64gr GDs at closer to 2800.

Edit: The more I think about it, I think it was 2800+ with 55gr XM193 and 2650 or something like that with 64gr Gold Dot. I wish they'd not discontinued the 64s, or I'd be more inclined to go run some over the V3 again.

SBR load is optimized for reduced fireball, reduced heat in suppressor & cleaner burning than running XM193/M193 in SBR.

Appreciable difference by selecting a different propellant.

Slight decrease in velocity.

CAR 15 or have we forgotten?
Even though I favor .300 BO more .....

If everyone was honest and we did a poll to see how many people ACTUALLY have knowledge on the spot about the CAR15 and its history (without jumping on google) .......the results would probably be sadly low

Many enemies received servings from the CAR15

Recently listened to in interview with a SOG gentleman .......they were counseled to always shoot people 2-3 times ..........probably would have still been given same advice even if .300 BO or .458 socom was out then too though....

He mentioned how ridiculously loud they were too lol

Reactions: deersniper
B4331988-E1E3-415D-89D9-5162CDD6790E.jpeg
So it’s a pistol and not an SBR, but I love this little guy.

Well i see it as though if put in the situation im gonna shoot until 1 he stops 2 he dead which means he stops. 5.56 6.8 12g 300 BO or 500sw its all the same. Shoot until he stops and youdont perceive a threat any longer. As long as rounds are on target ur good

6.8 kinda sucks from a short barrel IMO so I’ll ignore that, it 223/556 vs 300BLK. There’s a lot more 223/556 load out there that are going to reliably expand or fragment and there are from a 300BLK. It’s been a common issue in 300BLK from the start.

For 223/556 you can pretty much plug in any 50-55gr varmint bullet or SP and it’s going to have the velocity to work to at least 300 yards or so. They make nasty fucking wound cavities too.

Lots of elite units have been using 10-12” 556’s over the years with just ball ammo and it seems to be working for them.

If I could only have one AR it would undoubtedly be a 10.5-11.5” 556.

Recently listened to in interview with a SOG gentleman .......they were counseled to always shoot people 2-3 times ..........probably would have still been given same advice even if .300 BO or .458 socom was out then too though....
With .458 SOCOM, you can only fit so many in a normal size mag. You might want to see if 1 or 2 is enough.

ive got a 14.5" 5.56 and really like it. thats as short as i want to go with that caliber.

Are in 6.8 or 300blk unless you are dependent on dod supply channels or are preping for a walking dead scenario.

Sbr .223s are retarted for defense /car guns when so many better options exist.

Prove me wrong

In broad terms, using ball ammo, maybe. But like most cases, it really all depends. A 12.5 to 14.5 mid length upper is pretty damn smooth and with appropriate ammo, is pretty nasty. When paired with a law folder, are pretty compact.

Does this apply to 5 to 8 inch PDW's, IMO no. Something like 300BO or 6.8spc make much more sense

Both uppers would be SBR's. And while pistol sized pdw's are nest, I am not really getting into shootouts inside of vehicles so Something like a 12.5 works really well for me.

...."SBR" short barrel rifle; any of the rifle calibers mentioned will be effective IMHO, as I equate SBR usage to engagements 100 yds & in. The "short" I associate with "handiness" and ability to put it into use faster, aim intuitively, especially in limited/congested space environments. "Practical", in my thinking, is if it does the job of stopping the threat, regardless of leg count, and ammo/bullet choice does matter.

...when one starts adding to the "practical" factor such as caliber compatibility (resupply), distance (longer barreled upper/rifle), etc. , it begins going outside of (what I consider) the intended "role", "purpose" of a "Short Barreled Rifle". Control of the weapon while firing (influenced by caliber) is also a "practical" aspect, but varies by individual (small, large, weak, strong).

...there is no "right" or "wrong"...just bad choices

Reactions: Odysseus1911
I love these threads. They always start with a caliber war and ends with "shot placement trumps caliber"
I'd rather waste my time reading another SHTF crazy off the wall scenario thread.
After the thread necro...

This didn't age well... haha! :LOL::cry:

Are in 6.8 or 300blk unless you are dependent on dod supply channels or are preping for a walking dead scenario.

Sbr .223s are retarted for defense /car guns when so many better options exist.

Prove me wrong
I agree with this.

I think the only real value of an SBR is increased maneuverability in tight places compared to the standard 16". To be practical, an SBR would have to be significantly shorter to justify all the red tape and expense and registration of a Form 1, which in my mind, would mean something in the 8-10" range or what some would call PDW length. To me, anything between 12" and 15.9" is just a carbine with a lot of legal baggage.

5.56 would be the worst choice for anything under 12.5".

Last edited:
There is only one SBR I'd take in 5.56 over 300blk/7.62x39, and that's only because there aren't any alternative caliber options for it (yet)

micron-specs.png

One of the longer term projects I want to do is see if I can get a forward eject micron working in .375 Raptor, since that round is excellent for that barrel length, and basically is 300blks bigger brother.

so far the consensus from Ian over on Forgotten Weapons is that despite expectations, the micron doesn't have a tendency to blow your ears out.