• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Practical steps for dealing with recoil

forester22

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2019
After mostly shooting a .223 bolt action rifle with the occasional .270 Win thrown in, I purchased a Tikka T3X Lite in 30-06. The Tikka weighs about a pound less than my .270 Weatherby Vanguard, and to me the recoil from the bench has been surprisingly harsh - even with 150 grain bullets and a limbsaver pad.

I read all the time that recoil in the 30-06 is manageable for most teens and adults, and I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Are there specifics when it comes to posture and positioning of the rifle on the shoulder to help with recoil? Should I keep my shoulder tense, loosen it up, or something in between?

I would like to avoid adding a muzzle break - for now, at least.

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Line up straight behind your rifle shoulders square, firm handshake grip with your firing hand trigger finger relaxed and pull rifle into your shoulder pocket tight. If your on a bipod press slightly forward with your shoulder. That said I have always noticed more recoil from a bench than when shooting prone

Reactions: forester22
Thanks everyone. My goal for the Tikka 30-06 was to have a lightweight mountain rifle for shots in the 300 yards or less range. The rifle weighs about 7.5 lbs with scope and ammo, and that is actually still considered heavy by the mountain hunting folks I read online. So when I found that I was really hurting after shooting the -06, I worried that I might just not be man enough to handle the cartridge. I'm glad that there's more to shooting hard-kicking rifles that just being a big tough guy.

those videos and franks training section on setup are key starting points

I have a T3x Lite in 7mm RemMag..... no brake. Recoil management is definitely key. Feet flat on the ground while prone drives the hips down into the ground while pulling the rifle into your shoulder and slightly forward loading on the bipod.

I have a T3x Lite in 7mm RemMag..... no brake. Recoil management is definitely key. Feet flat on the ground while prone drives the hips down into the ground while pulling the rifle into your shoulder and slightly forward loading on the bipod.

It also provides lateral stability - which is secondary, but important.

EDIT: I'm still trying to figure out how to graphically depict what you mention for my next vid. The problem with using pictures is that clothes obscure the finer details.

Reactions: seansmd
It also provides lateral stability - which is secondary, but important.

EDIT: I'm still trying to figure out how to graphically depict what you mention for my next vid. The problem with using pictures is that clothes obscure the finer details.

not an issue
27E812A9-65C0-42FC-96BC-B9EB9E053872.gif

You might also consider that light, heavy recoiling hunting rifles were primarily designed to be shot standing and using a rather different holding position than what folks are used to for the current "tactical" shooting.

My guess is if you were to shoot that same rifle standing up with a good stance and the stock pulled nice and tight into your muscle, you'd find the recoil a lot more manageable.

150gr SST Superperformance have more kick than slower 180 grain in my 308s.

Remember you are shooting a hunting rifle meant to shoot 2-3 rounds top so it will hurt after 20 rounds + especially if you are like in a T-shirt.

I have no problem with recoil on my lightweight hunting rifles when wearing a coat and Pullover underneath but in a T-shirt it starts hurting after 20 rounds.

You might also consider that light, heavy recoiling hunting rifles were primarily designed to be shot standing and using a rather different holding position than what folks are used to for the current "tactical" shooting.

My guess is if you were to shoot that same rifle standing up with a good stance and the stock pulled nice and tight into your muscle, you'd find the recoil a lot more manageable.

also this

also ypu can get a cheap limbsaver slip on recoilpad that can help manage. Otherwise get a muzzle brake.

Forester, i've no doubt that developing excellent technique is absolutely critical and that optimizing static and dynamic forces (weight, balance, distribution, brakes etc.) can and do manifest in safe, reproducible and accurate effect.

I really struggle with recoil and while i've tried very hard to remediate and incorporate so many of these aspects i must admit that choosing a friendlier yet suitable caliber ultimately has allowed me to continue to participate and enjoy this sport.

Just a thought

Thanks everyone. My goal for the Tikka 30-06 was to have a lightweight mountain rifle for shots in the 300 yards or less range. The rifle weighs about 7.5 lbs with scope and ammo, and that is actually still considered heavy by the mountain hunting folks I read online. So when I found that I was really hurting after shooting the -06, I worried that I might just not be man enough to handle the cartridge. I'm glad that there's more to shooting hard-kicking rifles that just being a big tough guy.
Get off the bench. Seriously get the hell off the bench. Bench shooting of (relatively) light hunting rifles is just painful. Something about how the bench forces you to address the rifle makes the recoil feel worse than in just about any other shooting position.

In any case, people need to learn to shoot rifles from real positions that will be used in the field. Even sighting in a rifle from the bench is useless since the recoil will behave differently than it will from offhand, kneeling, sitting, sticks, a bipod, a rucksack, etc.

If you need max stability to sight it in, go prone. Either with a bipod or with the rifle over a pack. It can be done prone with a sling too, but that's a dying skill that most simply don't have any more and I can't give it to you over the internet.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
Well, the OP has a legitimate question regarding recoil in a light rifle in '06. Unlike some questions I have seen like is it okay to put a .308 brake on a .22LR. Understanding recoil has been covered well. A shirt with a recoil pad goes a long ways. This isn't a go to the range and shoot 50 rounds rifle. In the field the OP hopefully only needs to shoot once. Chances are he won't notice it on a kill shot, which takes us back to understanding recoil in the first place. It should be an afterthought.

Honestly, I think tolerance to recoil is built-up over time. Like building up immunity to types of cold or flu strains..

I have been shooting larger calibers and shotguns since I can remember. The more you shoot it the more you will build up resistance/tolerance.

There are a lot of good pointers in this thread as well. Positioning, recoil pads, etc can all help to be sure.

I also find that recoil is much worse when I am anticipating/ thinking about it. Just have to get it "out of your head" - yes part of it is for sure psychological.

Anticipating recoil can also F with your accuracy as well as it tend to make you "jerk" and be overly tense and stresses your core.

Last edited:
My approach to heavy recoil is to avoid it in the first place.

...And yes, the 30-06 is one of my favorite cartridges. I use it in a heavier gun for prone (M1 Garand, which also has a semi action that can mitigate some of the recoil), or from a non-prone field position for hunting (M70 Featherweight and Axis II, both relatively lighter weight firearms).

My strategy in both instances is being certain to have the rifle supported firmly against the shoulder, so it can't free recoil and get a run at my shoulder before fully contacting it. Essentially, you snug up to it and Ride 'Em, Cowboy.

Bullet weights for each are limited to 168 Match and 165 Hunting loads, and training is done with reduced loads (150gr at somewhat reduced velocity for the Garand - 48gr of powder instead if 50gr, this is my normal 168gr charge - and 125gr commercial reduced recoil loads for the hunters). Practicing at shorter distances (75-100yd) somewhat limits the POI deviations from the heavier loads (I do not fiddle with the sights to do the practice).

Unless you're committed to significantly longer shots, these reduced recoil loads can actually harvest deer at the shorter distances, say 150yd and under; which is pretty much most of the shots in the Northeastern Woods.

A good recoil pad, IMHO does not have a lot of give; that allows it to have a higher probability of whacking you with the scope. Instead it has a broader contact area with the shoulder, distributing the recoil load better, and causing less physical trauma from heavier recoiling loads.

Recoil Shields have worked for newbs I've advised on the subject.

I just found a listing for a nylon shooting jacket. It seems to duplicate the older cotton USMC shooting jacket I have that no longer appears to be available. Mine's padded at the forearms, right shoulder, and left bicep (to reduce circulation constriction caused by a tight sling). I also see the nylon one has the straps and buckles added almost identical to the way I modified my own. The nylon one appears to have rubber in the shoulder area, but does not clearly depict whether there is any substantial padding. the rubber would appear to be there to provide friction and prevent the rifle butt from siding around. If you're like me and have a sternum that has been compromised by repeated open chest surgeries, padding would be necessary in that shoulder contact area.

I greatly prefer the cotton construction of mine over the nylon. On a hot day, I could wet it down with my spray bottle, and it worked like an evaporative cooler.

Combining both shields and recoil pads can transform your shooting experiences, but keep the compressibility to a limit.

I also use a chambering that gets more out of a smaller diameter bore, like the .260 Rem and the .280 Rem. They tend to retain energy better further out, weight for weight, than their parent cartridges, the .308 and 30-06. I consider them to be semi mags; mostly magnum performance on a smaller scale.

Despite ludicrously inadequate promotion by Remington, they are, in fact very adequate and efficient rounds.

Greg

Last edited: