• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Practical Tactical Practice - Avoiding Group Shots

Re: Practical Tactical Practice - Avoiding Group Shots

great idea. ill print some and try them out.

Another nice target to shoot at. Glue several paintballs on a target backer and have fun... Instant gratification if you hit them with one shot..

Here's mine from today.
The 16 shots were consecutive, roughly a minute between shots.
I did not do this cold-clean bore, but after a few rounds on my normal targets.
The load was 44.5 grains Varget with 178 Amax, Lapua case on it's 3rd firing, zero case prep but for sizing, loaded without weighing powder on my Hornady AP Progressive. Shot from my Savage with Douglas barrel I chambered in 308, on a bipod, from a bench at 100 yards.

FWIW, I found this more challenging than I expected.
Sniper1*, you won....this round.
laugh.gif

SH-target.JPG

Thanks, ubet.
I know we will see much better targets turned in, lots of better shooters here than I am.

I didn't use the prescribed target but here are my fifteen individual shots. I find the Snipers Hide group target to be easier to aim at. These are my first fifteen shots of the day from a fouled bore. The barreled action was reinstalled into the stock this very morning from a trigger adjustment by a local gunsmith. I left the optics attached. The rifle is GAP Surgeon, .260 rem, with a USO SN-3, in an AICS stock.

angelespictures001.jpg

angelespictures002.jpg

angelespictures003.jpg

After reviewing this it was obvious I needed to adjust my zero so i moved it .1 mil left. This is as good as I am able to shoot at this point.

Not bad.
I agree that the other target is a bit harder to stay centered on, at least with my optic setup. The same day I shot mine, I also shot a 50yd rimfire score-BR target (at 100 yards of course)and did a fair amount better. I can post it when I get back into town.

I would like to see how you do with the intended target..... to better gauge my results.

Ok Raf, I went back today and gave it a try. No cold bore on this page, I shot five shots previous to this on the group target. I blew it on shot nine and then went back at the end of the string to redeem myself. These dots hide nicely behind my GAP reticle. The way the range is set up, line of sight passes within a few inches of the ground so mirage was moving the dot around so i could see it occasionally LOL. This is as good as I could hope to do in any conditions.
target003.jpg

Yup, same problem I had with the dots and my reticle.
I think you only shot this to make me look bad.
laugh.gif

Just kidding. Nice shooting!

You whooped me handily.
I am glad to see this, shows I have more room for improving my shooting. Thanks, bud.

I intend to work up some loads with 208 Amax's in my 308 this weekend, and will give it another shot when I find my load.

I wouldn't have even tried it if you hadn't mentioned it! The range I go to has lots of steel and usually i make a cold bore shot on paper and thats the last paper shot of the day. This was good practice though.

Well not my best showing today but I'll live with it. I was shooting BHA 55FMJ (not the rifle fav but still .9 to 1moa) cus of $$$ and just fecking around. Had a prob with finding a decent sandbag for the rear rest, the range got all new ones and they are all overfilled, so I pulled a few. Anyways...

DSCF4018.jpg

For got to say Bushmaster Varmenter with a SS scope in 223.

Photo144-1.jpg

not to bad for to much caffiene. and not fair for shot 12./ thats what happens when you let someone shoot your fifle and they shoot what ever you want.

Mine sucks but I think with shooting at this target more it will really help me place my shots more accurately and quickly. Some of you guys did great.

000_0109.jpg

Shot this today with my partner. Humble to say the least. Definitely and eye opener compared to judging your capabilities by 3 rd groups.

Re: Practical Tactical Practice - Avoiding Group S

I think you did great, since 3,4,5,7,9,10 are so close to the same I would move the scope up and left just a tad. Yours are real consistant... I am no expert, just my .02

You get what I am saying, acutally right and down.. but to move your impact up and left
smile.gif

Good Job.

Thanks for the advice Rgray. I was actually told that by SterlingShooter in another thread. It's great that both of you picked up on my zero being off. I shot that target on the very first day of getting my new SuperSniper scope and mounting it up. I got a rough zero and went to town. It's funny because when I looked at the target that I used to zero my shots were right and down but since they were within the inch circle I called it a good zero. I will try and refine my zero to a pin point and see how much I can improve. Then again, maybe I should keep my zero this way so I have an excuse!

Well.... here's mine from today. Not too consistant at all.
IMAGE0014.jpg

So, I decided to do this and the SH Group Target. I went to the range with one of my new shooting buddies (Kombar) and I was planning on shooting these strings early in the day. Kombar wasn't too interested in shooting at 100, so we ended up shooting 600yds pretty much all day.

Right as the sun was going down I shot these strings. I was tired, I couldn't see and Kombar thought it was a great time to distract me by shooting a rapid sequence on his digital SLR and try and catch my rifle's muzzle flash. As soon as I'd get all setup for a shot and start my breathing pattern, I'd hear, "Click Click Click Click Click".
mad.gif

So this was the perfect setting for testing my crappy skills.
blush.gif

I started out pretty good, but then it fell apart. Actually what I noticed in shooting both these strings was that I started to fatigue pretty fast. Mainly my eyes. I'd have to take a few deep breaths, look through the scope and it would stay in focus and be brighter. Even if I wasn't holding my breath, I'd still lose the image in about 8 seconds. Also, at the beginning of the string my position felt comfortable and natural. But towards the end it felt tense and I felt as if I was fighting the position a little. (In my traps mainly)

Anyways, no excuses. I need to work on my skills. Here's my mediocre results.

Practical_Tactical_Target.jpg

Just for fun, here's the group target that was shot after the Practical Tactical.
Group_Target.jpg

15 rounds / 90 seconds / 100 yards sounds like a good start.

Lowlight;

Thanks for posting this.
I have fallen into the habit of just doing groups at my local range.....groups falling "wherever" on the target.
Your post and the target have me re-evaluating my practice methodology.

Thanks for the kick in the ass. I needed it.

Holy crap these look hard. I hadn't checked this thread before today. I've been shooting the summer edition group targets (underwhelmingly!).

I'll try these next week!

Thanks LowLight...I think...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Genin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice Rgray. I was actually told that by SterlingShooter in another thread. It's great that both of you picked up on my zero being off. I shot that target on the very first day of getting my new SuperSniper scope and mounting it up. I got a rough zero and went to town. It's funny because when I looked at the target that I used to zero my shots were right and down but since they were within the inch circle I called it a good zero. I will try and refine my zero to a pin point and see how much I can improve. Then again, maybe I should keep my zero this way so I have an excuse! </div></div>

Looks good. you've gotten the correct advice on your zero alredy.

Oh, BTW, the inch circle to be sub moa is a 1/2" radius from the center of the dot......

I managed to to get to my range yesterday, 10/31/08. Beautiful day, 70 degrees, breezy to gusty at times necessitating weights on the bottom of each target. My range uses wire hangers that allows the cardboard backers to swing. The chicken wire they used for years was too hard to keep maintained. I have a little trouble indexing my reticle center on the small dot so on the third try, when I fired the sighters, I tried holding off to the right of each dot and had more success. It was definitely a challenge.

I Shot my SPS .308 using the loads listed on each target.

Any friggin way, here goes.

First three targets in successive order using LowLights new ball buster dot target.

The first attempt. After sighting in I fired the top 8 dots and the range went cold due to the time I spent waiting for the wind to stop blowing the target up! After hanging the re-bar weights to my two targets I resumed shooting this one and #2 at bottom:

Target2103108.jpg

The second attempt:

Target3103108.jpg

Then the third Attempt, where I held an inch to the right of the target once I was sure of elevation:

Target103108.jpg

And for the sake of nostalgia:

Target4103108.jpg

I still pulled several shots and there was a mysterious flyer or two. I'll keep working.

I didn't wade through the whole 8 pages, but this is essentially what small bore (.22 rimfire) shooters have been doing for decades - shooting one shot per bullseye. Good stuff.

I've been using those "official" .22 targets for a decade or two myself come to think of it. They make dandy 100 yard targets for a .308 rifle.

Regards, Guy

shot one of these today while i was waiting on a cold range after shooting my last STS cold bore of the week (i shoot one STS target per trip). i'm going to have to work on my breathing.

shpractac1vp4.jpg

ignore the zero fubar. shot the middle two without readjusting from cold bore poi, then got distracted (teaching my brother in law how to shoot) and adjusted the wrong way. shot the bottom three, then corrected my adjustment. didn't check my breath and threw one of the last three over the top. but after that i did ok
smile.gif
guess i'll start printing these instead of buying targets. thanks LL

heres one for ya. middle group is 10 shots and the outer ones were 9 shot groups. all at 200 yards. not bad for some wind, creepy crawly bugs, and a little caffeine.

DSCF00872.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JR,

Not Bad Mang </div></div>

thanks man. maybe we should get together and shoot some time. from your post it sounds like you spend some time out at Wyoming antelope club. spend most of my time at manatee on the 600-800 yard line. but WAC is a lot closer to me. pm me next time you plan on heading out.

BTW using bungee cords really cuts down on the wind swing at WAC
grin.gif

J

Well I finally took the plunge. I havent seen any big thumper's so I decided to use a 338 Lapua. This for me anyways, it is much harder than it looks. Not that great but minute of hog and that's about what I use it for.

The sighter was fired from a clean cold bore and the rest from top left to bottom right. About half way through I had to let the barrel cool .

IMG_8935.jpg

.338! Jeez ass Crust! You a rough customer. Not bad at all considering the enormity of your cartridge.

Must have felt like you were slumming at only 100 yards.

Lots of good targets getting posted. Good work.
So far, sniper1, Supersubes and jr81452 are the best three I have seen. I gotta work on my technique.
laugh.gif

I think everyone was humbled a bit by this target.

Good target. If you can't download it, you can probably make a very similar one by using your word processor program. Set it for the largest type size you can and create a document using periods, O's, zeroes, spaces, +'s, X's etc., experimenting until you get the sizes and spacing right.

The Snipers Hide Snowflake was created using Visio, and many CAD programs like it will allow you to create something adequately similar for yourself. At the time, the only printer I had available was a laser printer and I used gray as a filler for the fields, to allow both target resolution, and the resolution if hits. Color printers allow more variation, and you might want to experiment using Cyan (blue) or Yellow as field filler colors.

As far as I'm concerned, gun control is simply hitting what you am at, and single shots on single shapes makes perfect sense to me, but so does shooting groups for certain goals, like guaging fouling effects on accuracy, etc. There's very little that the single shot approach won't tell you, but sometimes a group just says it with more clarity.

Greg

Okay guys, I'll man up and post my targets from today. Since I have a newborn son, this is only the second time I have shot since August. The wind was 14mph @ 90 degree's with enough gusts to blow my chrono over and move the rifle a little, but it's only 100 yards so I can't put much blame on the wind. It was as hard as I thought it would be.

First target was from the bench trying to get some chrono info till the wind blew it over.

415848231_CpjNq-L.jpg

Second target was from prone.

415848233_YwHAT-L.jpg

here is my first try at one of these targets with my home shop built .284. i can see that i have some practice to do but i think the rifle is going to be a great shooter. i could feel each shot that was going to be a miss. i guess it's time to load up some more rounds and print out a few more targets.

snipershidetarget.jpg

and the rifle all finished:

2843.jpg

Don't forget to reaquire your natural point of aim as you go from target to target. The bullseyes are spaced close together, but in precision shooting, even a little difference can make a difference.

Thought I would give this a try, and it is difficult. On my first shot I blew it because I dialed in a half minute based on my zero target. I took it out after firing the first shot. I shot the target sideways because of the target hanger..

I used my TRG22 with 168AMAX

Target 1
3029487789_9451aedfd5.jpg

Target 2
3030342470_dd03214ed3.jpg

Variation of non-group shooting.

1 shot 100 yards
1 shot 200 yards
1 shot 300 yards
1 shot 400 yards
1 shot 500 yards
1 shot 400 yards
1 shot 300 yards
1 shot 200 yards
1 shot 100 yards

Moving the target after each shot to the next distance. Then taking into account the conditions. ( Mostly Wind )

100-500-100.jpg

Bedded the B&C stock to the action on my 700VS and got in some range time today to try her out. Was windy as hell today, so hard to tell if bedding improved accuracy or not. 175 SMK, 44.5 Varget, bipod and bag prone 100yds. Sighter shot was clean cold bore, dialed in 1MOA left. After top row, put in another .25MOA left. I have no idea where the &@%#ing
flyer on far left dot second row came from.
crazy.gif

Very good practice day with this target. Thanks for the idea Lowlight!
Will try this one again tomorrow if the weather here permits.

11-08practac003.jpg

Ain't nottin' wrong with that target or stick.

My first target #5,#7, #9. Second target #3, #4, who the hell knows what happened there. I could almost call most of the the others. This target is tough with only 10X. Im pleased witht hte Corbon Factory Fodder. Good Stuff.

Low/left shots cause by flinch or anticipating the shot? At least thats what I blame myself for doing on the low/left.

When I grow up, I want to shoot like SuperBee!
grin.gif

Try shifting your focus to the reticle right before you squeeze the trigger. Hold the reticle on the dot and keep the trigger held back until after the recoil.

Looks like you are doing a great job to me.