• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Prairie dog hunting: South Dakota.

ohlookimissed

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2020
I am looking to hopefully make a trip to South Dakota this upcoming spring for a prairie dog hunt. I have no connections there and I have never been prairie dog hunting. I am thinking that I may pay for a guided or semi-guided hunt. I am hopeful that one of you could either point me in the direction of a preferred guide service, or any tips for finding where/ when to go.
I look forward to the responses! Thanks!

You might call the Grassland visitor center in Wall, I've heard they will give you a map with dog town locations mapped out on public ground. I haven't tried it myself, but plan to this coming summer.

I have shot near Wall and it has lots of dogs. The maps they supply are not "all that accurate". And, if going in June/July the public land (near the roads) has been worked over pretty hard. I was out there in 2018 and it was a WET year. Getting out to the towns was challenging. That being said, once we got out to the towns the shooting was G-R-E-A-T.

Attachments

• P1070503.JPG
    P1070503.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • P1070512.JPG
    P1070512.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 65
  • P1070513.JPG
    P1070513.JPG
    724.8 KB · Views: 63
  • P1070522 (2).JPG
    P1070522 (2).JPG
    998.2 KB · Views: 74
Reactions: ohlookimissed
I've never had to search for Prarie dogs due to ranchers wanting them killed near me, but I think OnX has prairie dog town overlays on the app.

Reactions: ohlookimissed