• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Pre-purchasing a Rifle?

Kharn

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2010
G'day

I'm about to make my 1st long range rifle purchase, or well my 1st rifle purchase lol, I been using my brothers smaller ones lately and want to hit up the long range.

I have my eyes set on a Windrunner multi caliber is there anything I should be aware of prior to purchase or should I stay well clear of them, I guess I am asking if there is anything hidden from the Avg Joe but the season vet would see easily ?

Cheers

Re: Pre-purchasing a Rifle?

The FACT that they are 6g's plus without any scope!!! Really, shoot something standard, get a one hole group for 5 at 100, read wind, etc. before you think you need something like that.
Friend who shot one wasn't very impressed.

I wouldn't start with a Windrunner. Start with something much simpler and move up to a big bore rifle. You'll have a LOT to work on, including building proficiency with your optics, well before you could stretch the legs on a Windrunner.

Link not working
frown.gif

I like how there are a lot of comments towards why I personally shouldn't shoot a windrunner...

I take it then that the rifles themselves are of a good and reliable build aka you get your $ worth.

I've been looking through countless threads at others with windrunners and so far all I've found are good things about the rifle.

These are multi caliber rifles max rodriguez has informed me that they can pritty much make any size caliber for them, I plan on getting multiple barrels/bolts for different calibers.

Don't know that I'd try to start out with a Nemesis, but if you are really interested then maybe it's your lucky day 'cause ERUD has his listed in the for sale section (and it has a USO SN-3 T-Pal on it).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kharn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">G'day

I'm about to make my 1st long range rifle purchase, or well my 1st rifle purchase lol, I been using my brothers smaller ones lately and want to hit up the long range.

I have my eyes set on a Windrunner multi caliber is there anything I should be aware of prior to purchase or should I stay well clear of them, I guess I am asking if there is anything hidden from the Avg Joe but the season vet would see easily ?

Cheers </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kharn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like how there are a lot of comments towards why I personally shouldn't shoot a windrunner...

I take it then that the rifles themselves are of a good and reliable build aka you get your $ worth.

I've been looking through countless threads at others with windrunners and so far all I've found are good things about the rifle.

These are multi caliber rifles max rodriguez has informed me that they can pritty much make any size caliber for them, I plan on getting multiple barrels/bolts for different calibers. </div></div>

Let me direct you to a couple of point s you made.

“I'm about to make my 1st long range rifle purchase, or well my 1st rifle purchase lol”

You came on this site and appear to be asking for input. The wealth of information here is likely without rival for breadth and depth. There is wisdom from people who do shoot these large bore rifles and you would be well served to consider it.

That or PLEASE let us have input into the rifle purchase so when you get tired of LEARNING the fundamentals and getting POUNDED by some of the largest rifle cartridges out there we will get a great deal on a lightly used rifle.

As the saying goes....your money you do as you want.

50cal is illegal here....i think .308 is going to be perhaps the largest round it'll shoot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kharn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">50cal is illegal here....i think .308 is going to be perhaps the largest round it'll shoot </div></div>

.308 different story.

I was firmly of the belief you were going to the large bore rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diablo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know that I'd try to start out with a Nemesis, but if you are really interested then maybe it's your lucky day 'cause ERUD has his listed in the for sale section (and it has a USO SN-3 T-Pal on it).</div></div>

there you go, there is your chance without any wait. Unless you're the type of guy thats just blowing smoke?

Kinda got something in motion with EDM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kharn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kinda got something in motion with EDM </div></div>

Then why did you even ask your question? Looks like you have a lot to learn. Not that a windrunner would be a bad rifle to develop your skills, but the word overkill comes to mind.

Do research. Spending 4k on a rifle isnt necessary in my book to shoot well.
I could build a REM700 for around 1k that would shoot <1MOA all day long.
Especially if you find out shooting precision long range rifles isnt your thing you didnt blow out on it.
Unless your backyards trees are raining money then id look into something cheaper and a nice set of optics.

It's like a 16 year old that just got his licence to drive, should I get the Ferrari or the Porsche....

First what type of shooting do you plan to do, what were the "smaller Guns" of your brothers that you shot.
Your question leaves allot of speculation to what you want (a gun review ?), and to your shooting experience.
Curt

You said you shot your brothers smaller rifles and want to step up. What kind of rifles, caliber, optics...ect. You asked for advice on purchasing a windrunner, and seem very fixated on that. So I am going to assume that money is no object. If you plan to drop 5-6k on the stick than you should be looking into high quality optics as well. You cant go wrong with a mil/mil S&B, Premier Heritage, US Optics, or Nightforce scope. They say spend as much on glass as the rifle cost. Then there is ammo. Regardless of caliber you will most likely be steered in the direction of reloading. Especially if its a large bore. Now you have 6k in a rifle, 4k in glass, 400 in reloading equipment, and lts say 350 in components to get your first 100-300 rounds. Now you just need to learn to use. At this point you may as well enroll in one of the more than one rifle coarse.

or

Take the other advice, spend 3k on rifle n glass, shoot the shit out of it and let experience and info from the folks here be your teacher.

Savage Model 25 LV, Lightweight Varminter, .223 chambering. Put a Tasco VAR624X42M scope on it and see how long it takes for you to find its flaws. Guessin' it'll be awhile... Meanwhile, with simple mounts, you're out the door for under $900.

First we walk, then we run. The skills <span style="font-style: italic">have</span> to come first, or not a single penny of the costier purchase is spent for anything useful (except, maybe, talkin').

Greg