• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pre64 M70

koliver

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2009
pacwest
Hi guys,
I am new to the board and looking forward to getting to chat with you! I am new to the M70 action but have been putting together a decent 67' .308 and i look forward to running it in the next day or so to see what it can do. By chance i was able to pick up a Pre64 feather weight in .308 from a local owner here in the pacwest area for 600. the blueing is a patina brown, no rust, great bore, great stock, fantastic trigger.

Question, is it worth pulling the action for a rifle build? should i restore and reblue? or should i just keep it as is? please advise

Re: Pre64 M70

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M70shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi guys,
I am new to the board and looking forward to getting to chat with you! I am new to the M70 action but have been putting together a decent 67' .308 and i look forward to running it in the next day or so to see what it can do. By chance i was able to pick up a Pre64 feather weight in .308 from a local owner here in the pacwest area for 600. the blueing is a patina brown, no rust, great bore, great stock, fantastic trigger.

Question, is it worth pulling the action for a rifle build? should i restore and reblue? or should i just keep it as is? please advise </div></div>

Yes.. One of the4 best actions ever IMO..

Thanks, i have had a few people threaten death and disfigurement for just thinking about tearing apart a pre64 featherweight!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M70shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, i have had a few people threaten death and disfigurement for just thinking about tearing apart a pre64 featherweight! </div></div>

I know some Pre 64's are called "true collectables" and yes, if you have one and take it apart you should be shot.. Now I am not completely positive on this, but I don't think any of the collectable rifles were featherweights..

Post a pic of it and everyone here can tell you if it is a collectable.. If not do what you want with it..

All depends what you want to do! I have four pre64 match rifles-collectable?-don,t think so-hell,one is probly on its 25th barrel-bought from another hp shooter. Also have a couple of featherweights-270+308-the 308 is my truck gun.Best to just get 6 different loads-pt it on paper/steel and see how it does! Enjoy it-they are nice rifles. barry

If its patina, not rusty, but brown, it aint worth dick to an anal collector. If you reblue it, the collectors value isnt worth dick.

In its current configuration, what is it worth, is that action worth $600 to you?

I would in a heart beat use one of the greatest actions ever for a long range rifle build. The control round feed is sweet as snot, but you can buy Mausers at a gun show, for dirt cheap, and with the aftermarket bolt shrouds and what not, you can make it the same thing...food for thought.

Otherwise, put it up for auction somewhere, stating "I am going to turn this into a long range rifle build, rebarreled, and possibly cam painted. $$$$$ will change my mind."

Great! i guess i am gonna do a krylon urban camo paint job on it, weld on a chinese flash hider and sell it to a mall ninja type as a rare "feather weight urban super sniper" coming to gunbroker soon!

Texas brigade has my interest, if i can pull my head out of my ass and figure out how to post a pic, i will let everyone look at the ugly duckling.

Just posted some pics in the picture section until i have that option here. Thanks guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USSR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All my rifle builds are with the M70 action.

Don</div></div>

Don, do you use the pre64 action or post? both?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If its patina, not rusty, but brown, it aint worth dick to an anal collector. If you reblue it, the collectors value isnt worth dick.

In its current configuration, what is it worth, is that action worth $600 to you?

I would in a heart beat use one of the greatest actions ever for a long range rifle build. The control round feed is sweet as snot, but you can buy Mausers at a gun show, for dirt cheap, and with the aftermarket bolt shrouds and what not, you can make it the same thing...food for thought.

Otherwise, put it up for auction somewhere, stating "I am going to turn this into a long range rifle build, rebarreled, and possibly cam painted. $$$$$ will change my mind."
</div></div>

i just moved out here from Mich not to long ago!

Its usually better to watch the house burn down from a distance, rather than from the living room
wink.gif

I've trading for a Pre 64 tomorrow. It's nothing special, has a griffin and howe side mount and the stock was butchered. Needs a new stock and a 9.3x62 barrel.

I think I have 8 Model 70s from Pre-64 to the new ones. I have never had any problems with any of the actions. Having said that, I believe the new FN Model 70 is the best one made.

Still I can find fault with the post '64 actions.

Can the FN M70 trigger be replaced with the old style trigger or is it all new?

Why? is the old style trigger better then the new? just wondering, the trigger on the pre64 that i have is the best i have used in a long time. must have been adjusted at some point.