• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision AR15 Platform???

eboggs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2009
Ohio, USA
Hey guys,

been awhile since ive been on here, Ive been tossing around the idea of building another bolt gun .308...then tossed around the idea of building a .308 AR platform..kinda pricey..and now im thinking, what about a heavy barrel 20" AR15, scoped etc...

Heres my initial reasoning (why I came here, to get all of your opinions ie. more knowledgable than mine..seriously!)

If I went 5.56... what would my effective range be? I wont be shooting anymore than probably 500...and thats going to be rare..more like 1-200...farthest...mostly for plinking. not hunting big game. maybe a pest controller.

Re: Precision AR15 Platform???

something like this?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=261722130

pix172424628.jpg

pix378834737.jpg

Contact scottmilk9 with Specialized Dynamics. He can hook you right up. As for performance, .223 is more than enough for varmints out to and beyond 500. Using the heavier projectiles your performance out to that range will be very good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El Wray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #333300"><span style="font-weight: bold">Have you considered and AR15 platform chambered in 6.5 Grendel?</span></span> </div></div>

I have not, but one reason I want to do a 5.56 over a .308 is cost, not only in the build, but ammo also, I have never looked at 6.8 ammo but am assuming it is more than 5.56...and since im more of a plinker i wouldnt be able to justify the extra cost...I'll take a look though. unfortunately cost is a huge factor for me (College..aka money pit) also I <span style="font-style: italic">personally</span> would see no difference shooting the two.
grin.gif

<span style="color: #333300"><span style="font-weight: bold">I hear ya brother when it comes to budget. It still amazes me when I see the amount of money some shooters are dishing out today. But, then again, that's what's gonna rebuild this economy we're in...
wink.gif
</span></span>

im gonna use that one on the old lady next time i buy a gun...

"but sweetie, im helping rebuild the economy" !!!!!!

5.56 is more than enough to get out past 500. I shoot my 18 inch SPR with 77 grain Black Hills OTM out to 1,000. Next to my 18 inch .308 shooting 175 grain SMKs I only need about an extra 1.2 mils of elevation and about an extra .25 mil wind hold. It can be a little harder to hear your shots on steal at great distances so having a spotter may be necessary.

What's even better is that out to about 300 you can shoot the cheaper stuff effectively; probably even out to 500 on man size targets. I shoot 55 grain XM193 that I buy in bulk $320 per 1,000. Record DOPE for both rounds and you can train with inexpensive military ammo and save match grade rounds for long range and competitions.

Thanks for all the tips guys, got another question now though, 20" or 24"? What Ive been reading is the only thing you lose with a shorter barrel is velocity?

The rifle will only be shot prone, or on a bench with a bipod, so the extra weight isnt an issue, if the cost is the same, any reason to get the extra 4"? or no?

I have heard that it takes about 24 inches of barrel length to get a complete burn with most .223/ 5.56 rounds. If that is true then you should get maximum velocity out of a 24 inch barrel. If length/ weight is not an issue then why not go that route?

I would like to see what a 24 inch Krieger would be capable of.

On the other hand, if you are not planning on going past 500, the extra velocity gained won't really buy you much more than holding slightly less for wind.

Between the two, I feel I would be happiest with a 20 inch. If you decide to enter a competition in the future the extra length may be a bit of a hindrance.