• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Light Weight Mountain Rifles - Picture Thread

PrecisionRifleGuy

Aussie Infantry
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2012
Australia
www.precisionrifleguy.com
I've always had an interest in Precision light weight mountain rifles and finally built one. Being an Aussie I wanted to keep it as Aussie as I could and only use Australian components. For the rifle base I chose to use a Lithgow LA102 action which I had modified to a magnum bolt to accept 300WM. It is sitting in a Precision Defence Industries Bolly UPH carbon stock and has a Boscabel Weapon Systems bipod.

Now this is the non Aussie part. I went with an IBI carbon wrapped 26inch barrel. We currently don't have any Aussie manufacturers making them.

Currently it has my old NXS scope and souhr mount and a Terminator TT muzzle brake. The scope will get changed out for a newer NX8. That's right. NF is originally an Aussie company and still is to an extent. It will get some Porter rings and an as yet undecided muzzle brake. But as you see it here it weighs in at 5.2kg (11.46lbs). Im also currently limited by a tikka 300wm magazine. But I'm converting to AICS soon too.

some other Aussie parts are being made to allow it to have a switch barrel and ill be able to run 6.5 PRC too. Or maybe 300WSM. Who knows. The Magnum bolt face has opened up a world of possibilities. Lithgow do not currently offer this option but like a Tikka action they are big enough for it.

I also went for 300wm as number 1 I have heaps of good quality brass for it and number 2 I need at least a 270 to hunt Sambar deer in most states. Limiting me otherwise I would use the 6.5 PRC all day.

So what are you lot running in this category?

20210531_154658.jpg

Last edited:
How has the IBI been mate? I just grabbed a steel barrel of theirs in 6.5, and if they’re decent, I’ll stick with them for the other barrels for my switchlug project(s)

Reactions: PrecisionRifleGuy
Wait, 11 lbs is considered light weight for a mountain rig?

Sweet looking rifle, though. I've been getting more and more interested in NF optics over the last few weeks. I like the concept of the NX8 a lot.

My rifle isn't a "precision" rig... it's just a stock model 70 featherweight. It weighs about 9 lbs in its current configuration (and I had been thinking that that is "overweight" for a "light weight" rifle... now I feel like I'm cheating :p). But I do consider it a mountain rifle.

I'll post pics when I get home.

Nice looking rig. You should drop under 10# by changing out the optic and mount. Still seems a tad heavy, but it is a Magnum action. NRLHunter says 12# is the division between light and heavy, but IMHO, Mountain rifles, scoped, should be 8 pounds or less.

My "Mountain" rifle I use for Elk is a .338-06 that weighs in at 6.2 pounds scoped. Prints 1/2 MOA out to 500 yards...for three rounds then walks out of the group, but I usually only shoot 1 round a year at game. :)

Attachments

• Elk 33806.jpg
    Elk 33806.jpg
    811.7 KB · Views: 98
My "regular" .30-06 scales at 10 lbs, as near as makes no difference. That's a Winchester M70 action with a Bartlein 24" CF barrel and a McMillan Game Scout with Edge fill, Leupold 1-pc rings and a Sig Tango4 3-12x44. The stock has a pic rail section on the front, and adding a bipod would add 1 lb.

I consider that rifle to be on the heavy side, though...nothing light weight about a 10 lb gun, honestly.

My Tikka T3x project gun is currently 8.5 lbs. That's the stock 7mm Rem Mag barrel, but wearing a McMillan Game Warden with Edge fill, 20 MOA rail, Red Snake bottom metal, Seekins rings, Athlon Ares BTRII. Don't remember if that weight is with or without the Harris bipod. It carries substantially better than the M70 above.

The M70 started life at a shade over 8lbs bare, and the T3x started life at about 6.6 lbs bare...the weight difference between the two hasn't changed much. I have another 8 to 8.5 lb rifle that I just built. ARC Nucleus Gen 2, Proof CF 6.5 CM 20", MCS-CS2, Hawkins M5, ARC 20 MOA base, Trijicon Accupoint Gen1. That's the best carrying rifle of the group, owing to its relative shortness. With a lighter stock (the CS2 is 2.75 lbs), that would be a 7.5 LB rifle all up... probably as light as I'd go.

Reactions: MarkCO and Naaman
Here's some inspiration. Lots of liberties taken with the term "lightweight:"

Just picked up a new sig cross in 6.5 with Leopold Lrp 4-14. Weights 8lbs and shoots bug holes with hornady percussion hunter. Really happy with the overall package folds down and fits easily in my backpack

The OP did ask for pics. So here's my humble contribution. Weighed in at 9.7 lbs as she sits here. That scope is a porker at 24 oz... but it brings a lot of capability with it: other similar scopes tend to be 28 or even more than 30 oz.

Been considering getting a featherweight compact and putting a 13-17 oz scope with a 1" tube for a true lightweight build. But my money has other priorities at the moment.

20210603_192812.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PrecisionRifleGuy
Here's my almost finished rifle 😕
Tikka T3X /Krg Bravo /Steiner P4Xi 4-16 / spuhr 4001 / area 419 20 moa rail / Sterk Swept ball / TRG shroud
Krg spigot and Arca plate .
CTR Mags modded for 300WSM . should be at 4.9kg once the IBI 22" carbon barrel goes on . Perfect for the hills

Attachments

• 20210605_012521.jpg
    20210605_012521.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 105
Tikka T3X /Krg Bravo /Steiner P4Xi 4-16 / spuhr 4001 / area 419 20 moa rail / Sterk Swept ball / TRG shroud
CTR Mags modded for 300WSM . should be at 4.9kg once the IBI 22" carbon barrel goes on . Perfect for the hills
That thing is cool!

Reactions: M77
I am looking at your photo thinking, man, that sure is a pencil barrel...then I realized the barrel was not yet on it.

Spuhr mounts rock, but that is a lot of weight. Have you considered something like the Hawkins Hybrids? Rock solid and only a few ounces.

Reactions: M77
Well... I guess if you want pictures... Every rifle in this photo is less than 10 lbs (ish) except for one. Three are less than 9 lbs. I don't consider any of them light weights. The aforementioned M70 is 3rd from the left. The T3x is second from the left (and was 7.5 lbs at one point). The ARC/Proof is 2nd from the right. An ~12.5" LOP is what they all have in common. Two of them are 6.5 CM.

828B32AA-C151-42CA-B622-D536C4F28376.jpg

Lots of time and money into the M70 at this point. If I had it to do over gain, I would just do the Tikka instead or leave the M70 in its maple stock, cut down to length, with a #2 (or similar contour) match grade barrel on it to preserve the original aesthetic (which I quite liked). Honestly... I sort of want to start over, just find both of them a new home, keep the little 6.5 CM on the right and figure my life out, heh.

Last edited:
I am looking at your photo thinking, man, that sure is a pencil barrel...then I realized the barrel was not yet on it.

Spuhr mounts rock, but that is a lot of weight. Have you considered something like the Hawkins Hybrids? Rock solid and only a few ounces.
I can definitely save abit of weight with some single rings . I just like the one piece mounts tbh

Reactions: MarkCO
Wish I had pics of the 270 WSM I just finished up for a customer. Defiance Anti-X, Bartlien CF wrapped m24 @ 20", AG Composites Alpine Hunter with Hawkins M5 hunter bottom metal. 6lbs 7oz bare with an empty mag. I'd get some good pics if we could have a day or two without rain here in Central Texas!

I sometimes think about a .270 WSM just to be contrarian… but, I’d invariably want to run heavies and would likely be better off with something 6.5 ish for throwing 140s…