• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Competition Events Precision Rifle World Championships (2022)

Night Vision Viking

Distance & Darkness is an illusion
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2020
Europe
www.youtube.com

So who's excited and wants to go?

The Precision Rifle World Championships 2022, probably in Spain.

Hi,

Honest question....

How can you have a "World Championship" without having qualifying matches for competitors to compete in to see whom gets selected to represent their respective Country?

Isn't this being done as more of an "invite" type situation and not a ranking in an IPRF series of matches?

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Its not an invitational.
It's up to each member association to select theirs, so will vary from country to country, but let just say most of the countries involved, do not have a huge PRS scene or much of the scene is not willing/able to invest the time and money to participate in such an event. So I wouldn't expect full rosters anyway. But let's not beat around the bush, bunch of shooting events in US sport a 'world' title without international participation at all or a tourist here or there.

Lots of slots per country
''This brings up to 32 athletes from each country to compete for team and individual championships.''

Reactions: THEIS
I guess it's similar to the NFL calling the winner of the Super Bowl "World Champs" when it's only played in the US.

No , Super Bowl is worth two area codes and by no stretch of the imagination 'World' anything.

Last i counted in most sports, a legit World title needs at least 6 nations from 3 continents participating. So in this department PRWC22 more than ticks all the right boxes.

So far it looks like 16Countries ,4 Continents and up to 512 Competitors

But of course, there is no universal template, especially these days where lots of sports are kind of organized franchise business, these tout XYZ titles .......

Last edited:
The selection criteria for a qualifier match is being hammered out now.
From Eric Lundberg via FB.

IPRF update time shooters!

It's been a few weeks since our last update and we've been working to establish the criteria for selecting the US team for the planned world championships in 2022.

We took the approach of putting forth a criteria that would cast a wide net over the precision rifle scene and achieve three things. Capture as many potential disciplines in the Precision Rifle world as possible, provide an avenue for interested shooters that may not compete in the more prevalent series, and at the end of the day be based on the performance of the shooter.

We selected 11 matches that we feel would achieve these goals as World Championship qualifying matches:

- Precision Rifle Series Finale Match

- NRL Finale match

- AG Cup match

- NRL Hunter Grand Slam match

- Competition Dynamics Steel Safari

- Riflemans Team Challenge Championship match

- USASOC Sniper Championship

- International Sniper Competition

- National Guard Sniper Competition

- Mammoth Sniper Challenge

- ELR Steel Challenge

Shooters can compete in these competitions and will then be able to submit an application for their desired IPRF division with results to be evaluated for an invitation to the World Championship team qualifier match.

The qualifier match will be held approximately 5 months in advance of the World Championship match.

Applications will be evaluated based on performance in the qualifying matches, not series point finish.

Past performance of shooters may be evaluated to aid in deciding invitations if applicants are an even match on paper. A three year period (2019-2021) will be used initially due to the potential impact of Covid19 on the 2020 match season. This time period may be reevaluated in future invitation cycles.

The top 16 applicants from each division will compete in the World Championship Team Qualifier match, with the opportunity to "shoot" your way onto the team. The match will be an opportunity for the competitors to utilize their equipment in a IPRF match environment prior to the World Championships.

Just as a reminder the Divisions are:

- Men's Open

- Women's Open

- Junior Open

- Senior Open

- Mil/LEO Open

- Limited

- Factory

- Classic Hunter

Keep in mind, if you do not receive an invitation for your desired division, there may be other opportunities to compete for a spot on the team.

Now go shoot your season! and we look forward to hearing from you all!

Eric Lundberg

Reactions: THEIS
But is it still going ahead?

In the UK we have nothing like the list of potential qualifying matches and it would be a far stretch of the imagination that they could even muster 32 competitors to fill those Divisions or even be interested in taking part at all. I would guess that even if it did go ahead it would be a damp squib this time around.

In the UK we have nothing like the list of potential qualifying matches and it would be a far stretch of the imagination that they could even muster 32 competitors to fill those Divisions or even be interested in taking part at all. I would guess that even if it did go ahead it would be a damp squib this time around.

Why should they wait for the UK?

Things have to start somewhere. If the organizers wait for EVERYONE to have things exactly their way, nothing will ever get done.

Reactions: Hegre
Not suggesting they do wait but the only nation likely to field a full team is the USA, I'd put money on this not taking place in Spain in 2022.

Not suggesting they do wait but the only nation likely to field a full team is the USA, I'd put money on this not taking place in Spain in 2022.

Hi,

You do not think the UK can fill 4 people per each of those IPRF Divisions?

From reading on www and social medias it would appear there is a significantly larger group of precision rifle shooters in the UK than 4 per each of those IPRF Divisions but that is purely from reading so definitely interested in first hand knowledge.

Sincerely,
Theis

Don't believe what you read on Social Media, whilst Facebook Groups may may have 1000+ members there are in reality only about a core of 30 to 40 shooters that actually compete in the UK and the World Championships is way out of reach from a time and financial perspective for may of those.

One thing that kinda baffles me is why so many divisions? even US will not fill all the spots in some of these divisions. Inevitably turns some of the divisions into a participation prize division, anyone who shows ends up................

Happens in a number of dynamic shooting disciplines, a bunch of folks always looking to compete in a division with the least competition.

Last edited:
All of the open dicisions cover demographics.

Some countries only have eligibility for something like classic or factory based on regulations and import/modification estrictions.

No , Super Bowl is worth two area codes and by no stretch of the imagination 'World' anything.

Last i counted in most sports, a legit World title needs at least 6 nations from 3 continents participating. So in this department PRWC22 more than ticks all the right boxes.

So far it looks like 16Countries ,4 Continents and up to 512 Competitors

But of course, there is no universal template, especially these days where lots of sports are kind of organized franchise business, these tout XYZ titles .......

That's my point, Super Bowl Champions are far from "World Champions".

All of the open dicisions cover demographics.

Some countries only have eligibility for something like classic or factory based on regulations and import/modification estrictions.

Hi,

Any finalization on what annual production numbers are in order to be considered "Production" division?

IIRC the annual number of 5k rifles or something similar was being discussed as minimum annual production numbers to meet "Production" division.
That throws out AI, TRG 22, TRG 42, Sako M110, and Barrett (ATF 2020 manufacturing numbers are not public yet, so going off previous year reports) as Production rifles.

Sincerely,
Theis

Don't believe what you read on Social Media, whilst Facebook Groups may may have 1000+ members there are in reality only about a core of 30 to 40 shooters that actually compete in the UK and the World Championships is way out of reach from a time and financial perspective for may of those.

Hi,

Thanks for the first hand information John!!
Have you been to this facility by chance? I looks really nice!!

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Thanks for the first hand information John!!
Have you been to this facility by chance? I looks really nice!!

Sincerely,
Theis

Never heard of him, he's not competed in any Precision Rifle Shooting events in the UK as far as I can gather, he's not a competitive rifle shooter.

Well Swedish competitors are already competing about their points to be able to join the teams.

Reactions: Hegre
Wish them the best but it will be a painful couple of years. Lots of naysayers. I can’t imagine juniors will compete without some major help from sponsors and parents.

Hi,

Are you all running matches under the IPRF banner or other organizations that count for IPRF points?

Sincerely,
Theis
As far as I understand it’s the second option. But for the time being we’re all focusing on overall safety and have fun with the new toy

Wish them the best but it will be a painful couple of years. Lots of naysayers. I can’t imagine juniors will compete without some major help from sponsors and parents.
In regards to juniors, it also depends on the venue as in many EU countries its illegal or legal wording is quite limiting like only allowed under supervision of licensed coaches and centerfire is even more of a new territory. Having organized and run an EC&WC competition that included the Juniors category in a much more easily controlled shooting range years ago i wouldn't like to be held liable just so folks hand out participation trophies to their kids. As that is ultimately how it works, dad goes shooting missus and kids tag along for a holiday and while they are already there kid gets to shoot and take home participation prize.

For the first outing, i would reduce the number of divisions and categories. Drop the Classic Division and Junior category. If i understand correctly Classic is for competitors from countries that do not allow tactical/practical rifles/10rd magazines ........and so what (should we add a muzzle loader and Air rifle category) if they want they can play in other divisions if they are handicapped that is their problem. No need to dilute everything by accomodating every whim.

It's kinda like running a semi-auto comp and then adding a repeating rifle with 10 rd magazines so Brits can compete with their straight pull ar15

Happens in a number of dynamic shooting disciplines, a bunch of folks always looking to compete in a division with the least competition.

Evidence does not bear that out, at least in the US region of IPSC.

Anyway, precision rifle as a whole does not have a grasp on the differences between
  • Divisions (equipment segregation)
  • Classification (shooter skill segragation)
  • Subcategories (minor awards for age, gender, etc)
It will continue to be a confusing mess to all until the discipline as a whole understands the differences and the relative importance of those three segregations

Last edited:
This looks like or would be a great event that will hopefully do great things for the sport.

Only idea would be to limit divisions to open and restricted and leave it at men’s and women’s as segregation basis. Just run a successful event Ave leave grading to be fine in slow time to get it right.

1624446616681.png

Now move for third time in less than a year, originally Spain, then Hungary and now France. Where next?

How can you have a "World Championship" without having qualifying matches for competitors to compete in to see whom gets selected to represent their respective Country?

In Sweden there has been classifiers and in the UK as well to my knowledge, I'm sure John MH can confirm?
The teams I've seen are the best, based on results from 2021 competitions.

277137741_367924912008878_1580338751087936458_n.jpg

It will be happening in France finally

The FRPRA (FRench Precision Rifle Association) has been created last year and we will complete our qualifying series (5x 2 days match ) early May at the same location. #4 is happening next WE but I'm offshore at work....

This last match is also open to other country, and I believe that 120 people have registered with 5 or 6 Nationality

I'll try to post pictures of the location after that match (where I'm going to get my ass kick, but hopefully learn and have fun) :p

Last edited:
So does anyone know who is going from the US. According to the website selection closed 3 weeks ago

Open Team unless someone can't make it:
Morgun King
Clay Blackketter
Austin Buschman
Austin Orgain
Tate Streater
Dave Preston

Good line up. It will be interesting to see how the "rest of the world" perform against them.