• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Target/Varmint Build, Where to Start?

jv101

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2009
Medina,Ohio
So after selling some things off, and talking with my father he finally wants to get a precision/target/distance varmint style AR! I myself have a bushmaster Varminter 1:9 twist which will be used for shots inside 400 yards on varmints. Now I have been trying to talk the father into something that has a little more distance/power. So he told me to look around and do some research for him, which is why i come here to you guys!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Update:

Finally convinced the old man to look into the 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5 grendel! He pretty much told me to give him a break down on prices/what we need and it could happen!

<span style="text-decoration: underline">So for a AR what else do i need other than:</span>
Stripped Upper receiver/Assembled upper receiver
Lower (will probably by a complete)
Gas block
Gas tube
Barrel
Bolt
<span style="text-decoration: underline">**anything else??**</span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">As for bolt:</span>
Barrel
action
stock
<span style="text-decoration: underline">**anything else??**</span></span>

Re: Precision Target/Varmint Build, Where to Start?

I would suggest you just buy a "ready to go" rifle from one of the better makers.
You know it will work and have good resale if you ever want to sell it.
If you want to go past 300, the 260 Remington is a safe choice. I know there are other 6.5s BUT I always consider resale.
If you want a bolt gun, just get a Savage. For $1200 you can get a 1/2 MOA rifle that needs nothing but a good scope.
My DPMS LR 260 loaded with every option that is a sub MOA rifle
A Savage F/TR class that will do one hole till the cows come home.
dpms260.jpg

12FTR.jpg

Mr.Humble-

I havent thrown away the idea of buying a complete rifle, however 6.5 creedmoor AR's, .260 Ar's, 6.5 Grendels and .243 AR's are a little hard to find that are already complete from DPMS,AA,Remington, Etc...

Also I believe DPMS is still backed up close to a Year!

Which is why i was wondering what it would take to build my own in a specific long range varmint/target caliber. As it will probably be a tad cheaper then buying a complete rifle, and not much waiting would be involved!

i only know some of the parts for each build (AR or bolt) and am not sure if i have all the parts, plus i have heard they can be pretty fun!

I'd still stay away from the AR's with this project, my $.02

get a 6.5mm Grendel from Jense Precision. He has one in stock complete with all the brass, bullets, reloading dies, magazines and optics. One stop shopping for a complete system available NOW. Their quality and accuracy are guarenteed. That's how I would invest my money!

I notice the price is not listed on the website. Bet it's a LOT more than a DPMS LR
AND a Savage LR/T.

gunman_7- father would really like an AR. and now adays Ar's are becoming just at accurate as bolt actions!

Ranger- not seeing a 6.5 grendel, only a 6.5 creedmoor. Could you provide me with a link please?

steve- dont reload as of right now

Just Google it. There are tons of references.
Just remember either could be an orphan in a few years and neither will have the broad resale potential of a 260.
You should also take a close look at the ballistics of each.

Reloading is a must, cheap, easy and offers a lot more options than factory ammo.

ranger- thanks i saw that package, wasnt really looking for a carbine style, looking for more of a bech/varmint style with the longer barrel and what not!

i suppose kind of what i am asking in less words is:

if i were to build a target/varmint AR:
which caliber thats not a barrel burner should i go with, what parts are good to look at (such as barrel makers, stripped uppers, triggers, etc, and anything that will imporve accuracy)

also same for a bolt gun, what barrel? stock? trigger? action? things to make it more accurate?

cheapest ammo: .223
Outstanding rifle maker: White Oak Armament
best AR trigger (IMO): GEISSELE TRIGGERS
Barrel of choice for Varmint hunting: White Oak Armament <span style="font-weight: bold">Match</span> Rifle Barrel

Have White Oak Armament build you the <span style="font-weight: bold">COMPLETE</span> rifle and you will have one heck of a finely tuned tack driver!

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

Good Shooting!

yeh i love my 223 its fun to shoot and easy on the wallet, i was just looking at the grendel and creedmoor as factory ammo isnt too terribly bad! same with the .243

kind of wanting to talk him into something other then a 223 (although that is a fall back option) so when im shooting a bit too far for my 223 i can switch over and used what he is (as he already said when we go shoot we will just share the guns hah! gotta love a dad like that!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jv101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeh i love my 223 its fun to shoot and easy on the wallet, i was just looking at the grendel and creedmoor as factory ammo isnt too terribly bad! same with the .243

kind of wanting to talk him into something other then a 223 (although that is a fall back option) so when im shooting a bit too far for my 223 i can switch over and used what he is (as he already said when we go shoot we will just share the guns hah! gotta love a dad like that!) </div></div>

6.5 Grendel remains a "relatively" easy to find custom AR-15 cartridge of known accuracy. DPMS is listing 6.5 Creedmoor, .243 Winchester and .260 Remington as a caliber option on an AR-10. Get a match barrel between 20" (minimum) and 26" and you'll be blasting varmints all day long.

Here's some shooter's for ya!

6.5mm Creedmoor:
http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=51

243 Winchester:
http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=23

260 Remington:
http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=20

6.5 Grendel:
Prices vary greatly depending on the barrel chosen
http://www.alexanderarms.com/siteshopper.htm?cat=15&item=122

yeh i know all about DMPS and AA's 6mm-6.5mm calibers, just they are hard to find, and not sure how long the wait is from AA or DPMS. which is kind of why i was considering builing one, that will shoot just as good if not better... or possibly going bolt!

after that, the real decision comes down to what caliber haha!
6.5 grendel and creedmoor match factory ammo rings is at $20-$30 per 20. as for .243 and .260 i have no idea, however ive heard the .260 and .243 barrel life is about 2000 rounds

i would love to beable to spend $2200+ on a GAP or JP, however i just dont which is why we are considering building one, with a good match barrel,action/chamber!

contacted Jense Precision about .243,.260,6.5 grendel and 6.5 creedmoor builds!

Also looking at White Oaks if we stay with the .223
or
finding a maker to make a .243 AR

this is all if i go the AR route, if going bolt route im not sure! I looking for resonably priced factory ammo until we/i can get into reloading.

which is why the .243, 6.5 grendel and 6.5 creedmoor really interested me!

Talked to my dad today, i guess we/he has is narrowed down to either a match built .223 (WOA upper and a nice lower w/ decent trigger)

or

building/buying a .243 AR (any suggestions on uppers/lowers/barrels, etc..?)

he said he wants something where he can got to the store and by hutning/plinking ammo if he wants to! he said if the 6.5grendel/creedmoor was more commercially available hed go for one of those...(i tried talking him into a .308 AR w/ muzzle break, but that prolly wont happen as he has a bad shoulder)

any comments?

Why hasn't anyone mentioned a 243wssm? Thats a heck of a round for the AR platform!!! Lee

looked at the 243 WSSM, however i dont see much factory ammo for that! and what ammo i do see, seems rather pricey!

anyone tell me where i can either find a .243 AR or atleast a .243 upper/AR barrel manufacturer??

Thinking of going with a .243 AR as a varmint rifle out past 500 yards!

knew about DPMS, not sure how back ordered they are though! Thats the main concern, I also know Remington makes the R25. Kind of wondering it theres any manufacturers out there that either offer/assemble custom/match .243 uppers, or can barrel .243 for an AR!

still not completely sure about going with the .243, but it seems like its either that or a match .223 from WOA or RRA that is set up to shoot 75-77gr match ammo

updated original post! look for whats in bold!!

anyone? been trying to look around, but could use a little assitance!