• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Underground rear bags?

Which fill would be better for kids with less grip strength?
@Steel head is right. The lightweight gets really firm when compacted and it doesn’t take much pressure to compact. Guys who use too much cheek pressure (up and to the left 2 mils on every shot) and guys who can’t keep ahold of the bag through recoil will benefit from using it.

@Steel head is right. The lightweight gets really firm when compacted and it doesn’t take much pressure to compact. Guys who use too much cheek pressure (up and to the left 2 mils on every shot) and guys who can’t keep ahold of the bag through recoil will benefit from using it.

I know I've made both of those mistakes quite a bit.

I just got my 3D ELR, can't wait to try it.

Are you still selling the regular Recon? I see the 3D ELR and Recon Mini are almost the same size, and I may want something larger.

I Just ordered one. If it works out, I’ll need to discuss an embroidered design for another

Yea...I have the ELR and 3D ELR with light fill....really enjoy both....before I got them...my old bag should have had one of those toy speaker things with Bob Eucker's voice from Major League... "Just a bit outside".

I'm not saying the bag made me shoot better....but it did make me suck a lot less at shooting.

Reactions: Jake the dog
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 3d ELR with light fill. Figured it may be nice to have an actual rear bag for comps as well as gun development work. Super excited to get it out and give it a try

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 3d ELR with light fill. Figured it may be nice to have an actual rear bag for comps as well as gun development work. Super excited to get it out and give it a try

Got the same one a couple weeks ago for similar reasons — taking mine to the range for the inaugural run this weekend and likewise can’t wait

Light fill squeezes easily but doesn’t fight to settle back like beads.
It still has a set to it which is a feature that I like the most about PU bags.
less squeeze force gives more elevation with the light compared to the regular.

Reactions: stilesg57
So far I'm really liking the 3D ELR. Here's some comparison photos. The tan one is the ELR, olive drab is a Str8 Laced bag with some fill I got from Hobby Lobby. The original Str8 Laced fill really sucks in my opinion.
20200712_102831.jpg
20200712_102846.jpg
20200712_102946.jpg
20200712_125252.jpg
20200712_125320.jpg

Which fill do you have in your 3d ELR?
Both of my ELR's have the standard fill. I'm thinking of buying some fill for my Str8 Laced.

Another poster asked about manipulating the bag...
The butt height is easy to adjust if you squeeze the bag before you lay your rifle on it, then just release tension to get your reticle where you want it. I've never had their light fill so I can't comment on that.

Reactions: david8989
What's the normal shipping time these days? Ordered a 3d elr with light fill a week ago and haven't had an update yet. Not complaining, just excited 😁

What's the normal shipping time these days? Ordered a 3d elr with light fill a week ago and haven't had an update yet. Not complaining, just excited 😁
I ordered on the 10th also.
Sorry guys we have been hammered with orders. Everything thats more than a couple of days old is going out today. The rest should go out monday unless it's black multicam as we ran out of webbing and the new order hasnt come in yet.

Reactions: Geno C.
Sorry guys we have been hammered with orders. Everything thats more than a couple of days old is going out today. The rest should go out monday unless it's black multicam as we ran out of webbing and the new order hasnt come in yet.
No worries. Would have loved to try it out at the Spearpoint ELR match tomorrow, but it can wait till next month

No apology needed. Thank you for the response. And the shipping notification 😉

With a 3D ELR, using as a rear bag for an AR15, light fill vs classic?

An ELR 3D bag with light fill....got me a 6", a 5", and an 8" group in a 1000yd bench rest match today...shooting tactical class with an Atlas Bi-pod and the PU rear bag.....on a concrete bench.....just saying...the bags are solid performers....oh....and it also got me another 1 mile win...can't forget that.

An ELR 3D bag with light fill....got me a 6", a 5", and an 8" group in a 1000yd bench rest match today...shooting tactical class with an Atlas Bi-pod and the PU rear bag.....on a concrete bench.....just saying...the bags are solid performers....oh....and it also got me another 1 mile win...can't forget that.
🤜🏻💥🤛🏻

Received in my new bag last night. I have been using a mini gamechanger as my rear bag for about a year and after about 10 mins of dry fire with this all I can say is WOW! Wont have a chance to make the range before the match tomorrow but I already know my score will improve with just this change!

Received in my new bag last night. I have been using a mini gamechanger as my rear bag for about a year and after about 10 mins of dry fire with this all I can say is WOW! Wont have a chance to make the range before the match tomorrow but I already know my score will improve with just this change!
Right on man we appreciate the feedback! 👊🏻

I’m liking mine. My wife thinks it’s not as solid since she’s used to a bunny ear bag. I like how the light fill behaves. Have to get my boys to give it a try next time we’re out👍🏼

Reactions: Steel head
Light fill version is pretty nice. Just got mine and will be giving it a go tomorrow

Thanks for the consistently awesome service

I’m liking mine. My wife thinks it’s not as solid since she’s used to a bunny ear bag. I like how the light fill behaves. Have to get my boys to give it a try next time we’re out👍🏼
If you can get her set on a side where the stock can sink into the bag a decent amount the corners will fold in and mimic a rabbit ear bag. This is especially the case on the ELR because of its shape but the 3d will do it too more so on the shorter side(not flat but not the tall side).

That’s how I had her try it. It was working well for me but she didn’t care for it🤷🏻‍♂️ She still shot fine but said she preferred the bunny eared bag. I like it.

If you can get her set on a side where the stock can sink into the bag a decent amount the corners will fold in and mimic a rabbit ear bag. This is especially the case on the ELR because of its shape but the 3d will do it too more so on the shorter side(not flat but not the tall side).
That’s how I normally use the 3D lite fill.
3C1D0E36-081A-4203-B78C-A67C01CED23D.jpeg

The way my rifle stock is designed and perhaps based on my positioning i often have to layer bags or find myself squatting lower that comfortable. It's too old a design and so doesn't have a bag rider.

Do you happen to make an 8 inch or 9 inch tall rear bag that would still fold up a bit to yield the rabbit ear configuration.....(preferably not a huge block /front bag type) if that makes sense?

The way my rifle stock is designed and perhaps based on my positioning i often have to layer bags or find myself squatting lower that comfortable. It's too old a design and so doesn't have a bag rider.

Do you happen to make an 8 inch or 9 inch tall rear bag that would still fold up a bit to yield the rabbit ear configuration.....(preferably not a huge block /front bag type) if that makes sense?
Which bag are you using?

The large tab rear bag is 9" tall.

https://www.tabgear.com/products/rear-bag and works specifically for what you're basically asking for. It's not a PU bag but it works.

this is the bag i currently use but it's not a great design, there are little ring holes so filler leaks out...i finally was able to get some tape on the inside cavity, i teased it through the tiny fill valve so it no longer leaks but i seem to fight the bag, it's not forgiving...maybe it's the filler i'm using? walnut shell turns to fine dust and ends up leaking. I purchased some little plastic beads which are ok but the bag doesn't really conform to the stock (the tall side doesn't indent much if at all and if i use the 4 inch side it's not tall enough so i end up stacking bags...the other being a sock filled with rice.

i'll check out the tab rear bag...thank you

this is the bag i currently use but it's not a great design, there are little ring holes so filler leaks out...i finally was able to get some tape on the inside cavity, i teased it through the tiny fill valve so it no longer leaks but i seem to fight the bag, it's not forgiving...maybe it's the filler i'm using? walnut shell turns to fine dust and ends up leaking. I purchased some little plastic beads which are ok but the bag doesn't really conform to the stock (the tall side doesn't indent much if at all and if i use the 4 inch side it's not tall enough so i end up stacking bags...the other being a sock filled with rice.

i'll check out the tab rear bag...thank you

The rear bag is one of the most essential pieces imo of fundamentals of marksmanship. I've gone through so many rear bags... my favorites have been the PU bag and the TAB bag. I heard that on lowlight's podcast that he's been working with PU on making their bag better. PU has the best fill, but the dimensions don't quite work out for me. I want the strap to be a little looser. I want it to be a little less filled.

Your problem is you are buying shit from Amazon, just get it from Armageddon or PU or anywhere but Amazon.

yes, i'm sure you're correct. was just starting out at the time, didn't know better, made a beginner mistake. will purchase a more appropriate bag, considering the different options out there.

didn't mean to redirect the thread...sorry OP

The rear bag is one of the most essential pieces imo of fundamentals of marksmanship. I've gone through so many rear bags... my favorites have been the PU bag and the TAB bag. I heard that on lowlight's podcast that he's been working with PU on making their bag better. PU has the best fill, but the dimensions don't quite work out for me. I want the strap to be a little looser. I want it to be a little less filled.
We’re working with Frank to hopefully put out a new series of bags, not to change the bags we have. It’s all about how you use your bag. One size doesn’t fit all. This is literally why our company started. Guys with less experience tend to like a bag that’s filled more full. It makes it easier for them to keep the stock where they want it. We don’t want guys relying on the bag too much but reality is that most guys are. We’ve sold well over 1000 rear bags and have had maybe 5 guys request less fill after running the bag. We’re happy to adjust it down and have done so but the overwhelming majority of guys want the bag filled more. That plus the locking fill is what instantly makes guys shoot better.

There are two main ways guys use rear bags. On one end of the spectrum you’ve got guys with the stock on the bag 100%. All of their aim is derived from the bag. On the other end guys have 90% of the stock in their shoulder with 10% on the bag. They are on a NPA and the bag is supplementing that aim. There are 100 ways in-between those two. The latter is definitely the best way to shoot for multiple reasons but again, reality is that most guys are shooting with the stock on the bag pretty much 100%. They will benefit a lot from the ELR/3d that’s more full. First it helps them keep the stock where they want it but it will also promote them to get some of the stock into their shoulder since the locking fill makes it harder to squeeze. It forces you to stop using the bag 100% to aim because it doesn’t squeeze/aim as easy as a standard bag.

I’m working on a video to explain the differences in how guys shoot/use the rear bag and what bag characteristics will work best for them. We’ll make a graphic to lead you to the best bag for you depending on your goals and how you shoot now. Not that one bag is better than the other depending on how good you can shoot but the difference is in HOW you set up and use your bag. A guy who has the stock 90% in his shoulder and 10% on the bag can use the more full bag just fine. This is how I shoot. I’m 100% on NPA and the bag is used to make the reticle be still. I use mainly rearward pressure to avoid fishtailing but the folded in ears of the bag add support to this. I believe Frank pinches the stock through the bag to help stop fishtailing(correct me if I’m wrong @lowlight). That definitely calls for less fill in the bag. As long as a NPA is being used one or the other is not right or wrong it’s just two ways to get to the same place. Guys who are 100% on the bag are not using a NPA. By definition if they are on the bag 100% that’s an artificial aim. The rifle is in a rest and the shooter is laying on top of it. So we want guys to get away from that whether they are pinching the stock through the bag or not.

Whether we put out a LL series bag or not the next option on the site will be bag fullness. We just need to get some info put together to convey who would benefit from a less filled bag. Reality is most guys don’t know what they need. Guys have a hard time deciding what bag to get with the options we have now so another option will have us answering questions all day every day unless we can clearly define who needs what. I am very clear on what characteristics fit each style I just need to get that info into a consumable form so guys can digest it and make a choice.

Last edited:
@Precision Underground has been very helpful to this shooting community in helping shooters get better and taking the time explaining everything. I have asked many questions both in threads and in DM's and he has always taken the time to provide helpful answers and help me diagnose things that I might be doing wrong. WIth my own personal ELR bag he helped me figure out how I should fill it for my needs and my rifle and got it readjusted.

So just wanted to say big thanks for all the work you do supporting the community.

We can make anything you can dream up. We’ve done some extra y’all bags for guys. Just make sure you distinguish between cur size and compacted size. Our xl ELR is 8.5-9 cut size but it compacts to around 5”. Let me know how y’all you want it to compact and I can make it happen.

that was very interesting....

what i've been trying to do and what i thought was correct when shooting prone for example was to level the rifle by setting the rear of the stock on the bag while chest/shoulder pocketing the recoil pad and slightly drawing the rifle into me so that i could comfortably see through the scope and such that the rifle pointed at my target. (I believe NPA stands for natural point of aim?). And of course drawing myself into the bipod with my chest just a bit to load it.

I gently squeeze the tightly filled bag to adjust for breathing induced vertical displacement.

i guess i thought by fixing the rear of the rifle or rather making the rear very stable i would take advantage of what i see the benchrest shooters do with an almost not touch technique...facilitating straight back recoil.

i think i'm going to reduce the amount of fill on my bag first to try out what you're describing. I'm not sure what compacted size i'll need but i'll start focusing on this. I will need a better quality bag just not sure yet what i need especially as i modify my ever evolving faulty "technique". i very much appreciate the offer.

what i've been trying to do and what i thought was correct when shooting prone for example was to level the rifle by setting the rear of the stock on the bag while chest/shoulder pocketing the recoil pad and slightly drawing the rifle into me so that i could comfortably see through the scope and such that the rifle pointed at my target. (I believe NPA stands for natural point of aim?). And of course drawing myself into the bipod with my chest just a bit to load it.

I gently squeeze the tightly filled bag to adjust for breathing induced vertical displacement.

i guess i thought by fixing the rear of the rifle or rather making the rear very stable i would take advantage of what i see the benchrest shooters do with an almost not touch technique...facilitating straight back recoil.

i think i'm going to reduce the amount of fill on my bag first to try out what you're describing. I'm not sure what compacted size i'll need but i'll start focusing on this. I will need a better quality bag just not sure yet what i need especially as i modify my ever evolving faulty "technique". i very much appreciate the offer.

Sign up for the online training, it's like $18/mo, spend a few days watching the videos, and it'll help a ton.

Using the bag 100% is what a lot of guys do. It can work well until you have recoil. But to use a natural point of aim you have to be part of the system. When the rifle is on a bipod and bag 100% you aren’t part of the system. The rifle is in a rest and shooter is laying on top.

What I think our ELR bags do for guys is allows them to rely on the bag a lot but also promotes getting the stock in their shoulder a little more to help get on target. The amount of fill that you will like is 100% dependent on how you prefer to use your bag. How much control you give to the bag is part of it but that’s not necessarily the determining factor for how much fill you will like. Either way we will adjust it as many times as you like so you can try all different types. All you have to do is pay shipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: want2learn
@Precision Underground has been very helpful to this shooting community in helping shooters get better and taking the time explaining everything. I have asked many questions both in threads and in DM's and he has always taken the time to provide helpful answers and help me diagnose things that I might be doing wrong. WIth my own personal ELR bag he helped me figure out how I should fill it for my needs and my rifle and got it readjusted.

So just wanted to say big thanks for all the work you do supporting the community.
Happy to help. A few years back I started analyzing rear bags and the rabbit hole got deep lol. But I’m passionate about it and feel like I have a good handle on it so I’m happy to share to help other guys. Making a living doing it is a dream come true so the thanks goes to the community 👊🏻

Happy to help. A few years back I started analyzing rear bags and the rabbit hole got deep lol. But I’m passionate about it and feel like I have a good handle on it so I’m happy to share to help other guys. Making a living doing it is a dream come true so the thanks goes to the community 👊🏻

@Precision Underground Thanks from me as well. Has taken great care of the customers (really above and beyond, thanks for that help). Great bags too. More of yall need to buy these!