• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing prefered 6.5 hunting bullet

The only bullet I've used in 6.5 is the 120 Nosler ballistic tip in my 6.5 wsm, I'm not pushing it to the max, I'm only pushing it to 3160 fps. I've shot 3 Michigan whitetails that all were drt. Ranges were 165 to 370 yards.

This year my daughter and I shot 2 elk at +/-500 yds with 6.5 x 284 w 143 ELDX, both one shot kills and both dropped in their tracks. My buddy shot an elk at 325 yds w 7WSM and162 ELDX and it dropped in it’s tracks. I was impressed and will continue to load them because of the great results and impressive accuracy. Saw an elk shot at 300 yds with 6.5 CM and 143 ELDX factory loads, first shot put it down, took 2 more shots to kill it, none were in vitals. Four for Four works for me.

My boy shoots 139 scenars out of his 260 with very good results.

I want to try the Barnes LRX 127gr but since my gun loves heavy stuff I would imagine the accuracy will be less than the loads above. Won't know till I try it!

I sure wouldn't write the LRX off until you try it, it has been a very accurate bullet in my rifle. Also, as you can see in the pic below, it's not really much (if any) shorter than the heavier jacketed bullets.

0402171656a~01.jpg

L - R: 127gr LRX, 130gr NAB, 140gr NAB, 140gr NCC, 143gr ELDx.

I like bonded bullets for elk and crossover antelope to elk hunting. Nos Accubonds haven't let me down terminal performance wise, and they are aerodynamically slick enough for my purposes. I used a 140gr NAB on a cow elk last year, through the lungs, nicked the scapula and out the other side, 20 yds later it was down.

I finally got to try the 127gr LRX on an Antelope today, nice performance, of course I intentionally put it through bone, so that's to be expected with a mono. Still, I was pleased with the performance, I might try it out on a cow this year if I can't get a bull.... On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to mess with success, the Accubond already gives me everything I want in a hunting bullet.

I'm surprised to hear these bad reports on the 143gr ELDx, most folks I've talked to around here that have put them into deer sized game seem to have good things to say.

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with the Berger 130 hybrid on deer? I have been shooting them all summer in my 6.5x47.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Does anyone have experience with the Berger 130 hybrid on deer? I have been shooting them all summer in my 6.5x47.

Killed a doe last year with one. Worked great. I will probably shoot a couple more this year with them.

In my 6.5 SAUM, I have had good success with both 127 LRX (2 moose and a handful of caribou) and 139 Scenar's ( 1 moose and a few caribou). I have not had anything walk away.

I never lost any thing I've hit with any bullet. But shots were mostly 200 y or less.
In recent years have been 300 to 500 y so I've been using 140 vld h and they have been GTG. 1 shot kills. 6.5-284 at 3000 fps.

Gave my grandson (13) a Savage 260 LWH with a Leupold 3-9 Ultralight with bdc.
First Elk hunt ever. Took a 6x6 at 408y.
1 shot. Hand loads at 2700.
Bullet hit ribs on both sides. Bullet was under the hide on off side. Weight was less than 70 grains I'd guess.

I'll continue to use them if I can find then.

By the way I like them to blowup and they do but it's controlled I'd say.

My son dropped a fat doe this weekend with some 129gr Browning BXR. I know ammo selection is part of the formula as is proper use of your equipment towards the intended wild game selection.

In my 6.5 SAUM, I have had good success with both 127 LRX (2 moose and a handful of caribou) and 139 Scenar's ( 1 moose and a few caribou). I have not had anything walk away.

I haven’t killed anything with them yet, but the 139 Scenar is shooting extremely well in my GAP right now too. Thinking it will fill the bill on my WY elk tag this fall!

Wow, I never really considered that projectile on a large Animal. Great to know. Thanks

I know it's technically not a hunting bullet (and yes I've taken all the arguments into consideration), but nevertheless I decided to try the 140gr ELD-Match for hunting last season. Took 2 elk, one shot each at 200-300 yds. It's nice to have the same bullet, load, etc for both match and hunting.

Planning on shooting some Copper Creek 143eldx loads in September on a hunt in BC for Moose and Goat. I tried some of their 140 Hybrids and Elite hunters and my groups opened up pretty good. Its a new barrel so maybe it just needs a little more shooting and they will tighten up.

I’m about to send my action, barrel, and trigger off to SAC to be chambered in 6.5 Saum. I’m going to use it mainly for hunting, maybe some plinking and punching paper. I was also planning on ordering some loaded Berger’s or ELDX’s from Copper Creek. I shot 162 ELDX out of my 7 mag all last season. For the most part I was pleased. All my shots were close (under 100). Never lost an animal, however a 9 point I shot didn’t exit. Couldn’t find any blood at all but did end up finding it after 10 minutes.

130 Swift Scirocco from a 260 at 3100 fps has done really well on game animals. Used a 70 LA for the build as I needed 3.100" to make that work. Swift 130 Scirocco 6.5mm is a long bullet. Should work equally well from a 6.5 SAUM, 6.5 PRC or similar.

As you can see whatever bullet one person says is good another person says is junk. To answer your question about WHITETAIL DEER, and not caribu, moose, elk, sharks, lions and tigers, i have had great luck with the 147ELDM out of my 6.5CM, all deer i have shot here in MS which on average have been 180-200lb the bullet has performed extremely well, blood trails on the ones that have went 40-50 yards have been great with no lack of!! We have shot several deer with the 143ELDX and they have been hit and miss sometimes do well others not so well with well placed shots. With the ELDM's i have tried to keep impact at very back of the shoulder with bullet exiting off side just behind the shoulder and have had great success with this being a little softer bullet. If you ever get a chance read the book "The Practical Guide To Longe Range Hunting Cartriges" by Nathan Foster. He does a great job of explaining matching the bullet to the game you are shooting and this guy has more real world testing on animals than anyone i have seen. Hope this was in any way helpful just wanted to give a little real world killing experience and not say my bullet is the best by no means.

I would love to read the book, but it's $76 on Amazon. Can you give us the Cliff notes version, LOL

I just loaded up a bunch of 140 gr ELD Match in 6.5 CM for a day of prairie dog hunting tomorrow! I am expecting excellent results ;)

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
143 eld-x at 225

Attachments

• heart.jpg
    heart.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 75
  • heart 2.jpg
    heart 2.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 60
I sure wouldn't write the LRX off until you try it, it has been a very accurate bullet in my rifle. Also, as you can see in the pic below, it's not really much (if any) shorter than the heavier jacketed bullets.

View attachment 6953682
L - R: 127gr LRX, 130gr NAB, 140gr NAB, 140gr NCC, 143gr ELDx.

I like bonded bullets for elk and crossover antelope to elk hunting. Nos Accubonds haven't let me down terminal performance wise, and they are aerodynamically slick enough for my purposes. I used a 140gr NAB on a cow elk last year, through the lungs, nicked the scapula and out the other side, 20 yds later it was down.

I finally got to try the 127gr LRX on an Antelope today, nice performance, of course I intentionally put it through bone, so that's to be expected with a mono. Still, I was pleased with the performance, I might try it out on a cow this year if I can't get a bull.... On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to mess with success, the Accubond already gives me everything I want in a hunting bullet.

I'm surprised to hear these bad reports on the 143gr ELDx, most folks I've talked to around here that have put them into deer sized game seem to have good things to say.

Taking my 12 year old daughter out to Utah in October for a cow elk hunt and plan on using the Barnes TTSX or LRX in her 6.5CM. Here in California we’re now forced to use non-lead ammo, which sucks, but I’ve been pretty impressed with the terminal effects of the Barnes line of bullets on game. Seems to me a lighter Barnes bullets punch above their weight class when it comes to terminal ballistics. Used to shoot the Barnes 168gn TSX Match our of my 308 and the accuracy was pretty impressive

We run 143 ELDX in 260’s and 6.5’s. The 260 shoots a bit faster with good results. The 6.5 CM I have mixed feeling about right now. May need to crank the speeds up.

What are the 143 ELDX users running for speed. These are running about 2700 FPS. But on the slow side I’m thinking

We run 143 ELDX in 260’s and 6.5’s. The 260 shoots a bit faster with good results. The 6.5 CM I have mixed feeling about right now. May need to crank the speeds up.

What are the 143 ELDX users running for speed. These are running about 2700 FPS. But on the slow side I’m thinking

My experience with the 143 ELDX has been great but all out of my 24" barrel Tikka the the first year I handloaded virgin Lapua brass to get 2850 fps and it killed 8 deer, 4 caribou, and a grizzly bear. The following year the same load on once fired was now just over 2900 fps and again great results.

With the 20" barrel Tikka I've had great results with 147s at around 2720 fps.

Not exactly sure I'll continue using ELD-X when I've used other bullets with much better performance.

IMG-20181223-WA0006.jpg

ELD-M and BTHP work good. I'm curious on trying 125 grain deer season XP as I know someone having good success on deer & pigs with them...

Reactions: HogsLife
The 139gr Scenar is one of the best big game bullets you'll ever use.
That ain't a guess...….
Just curious if you've used them on coyotes or similar.
I had very mixed results with them on yotes and even though they shot lights-out, ended up ditching them due to "penciling through" / lack of kill.
I went to 140 ELDM for coyotes and 127 LRX for big game and have been very pleased with both in those roles.

I will hopefully have some results on pronghorn from the Berger 130 OTM to post up here in a couple weeks. My daughter will be shooting them in her 22" 6.5SLR @ 2888fps. I know they sure are accurate.

Reactions: rope
I will hopefully have some results on pronghorn from the Berger 130 OTM to post up here in a couple weeks. My daughter will be shooting them in her 22" 6.5SLR @ 2888fps. I know they sure are accurate.
I have used them on Caribou, DRT...

Reactions: lancetkenyon
Eld x bullets are on the softer side and you do not wanna hit shoulder bone with them. They are made to blow up like a berger but the 143 is not ment for high speed calibers any of the eld x I like them 2900 and below. They are very similar to sst and I used alot more 140 sst in 6.5-06 ack for everything each bullet has there own purpose

I wish I could tell you what my go to is but I’m kind of a whore and like to experiment with different bullets. I’ve used

120 cor-lokts
140 cor-lokts
120 NBT
140 Hornady SP
120 Amax
129 SST

The only iffy one was the 120 Amax. Close range, shoulder and speed doesn’t play well with them.

My plan is to use either the 130hvld or 130 OTM on Axis and hogs hopefully on a trip coming up in January.
Both shot under .5" at 37 grains of Varget from a 6.5x47 during initial load development just need to fine tune one and chrono the speeds.
Will probably take some loads running 123CC as well since they easily ran up to 2950 with good accuracy without being pushed to hard from the same 1-8 x 24" Schnieder barrel.

I too will be switching from the 143 eld-x. Sure they killed the whitetail, but most anything will with a good shot. It’s placement that matters. However. Some bullets are better at killing than others. I harvested two whitetail where the round entered between a rib and exited between a rib without hitting a bone, I’m fairly certain that both of those rounds didn’t expand at all. Again, yes it killed them, but there are better ways to go about it. From my experience, I can’t whole heartedly recommend the eld-x as a hunting round.

Last edited:
I too will be switching from the 147 eld-x. Sure they killed the whitetail, but most anything will with a good shot. It’s placement that matters. However. Some bullets are better at killing than others. I harvested two whitetail where the round entered between a rib and exited between a rib without hitting a bone, I’m fairly certain that both of those rounds didn’t expand at all. Again, yes it killed them, but there are better ways to go about it. From my experience, I can’t whole heartedly recommend the eld-x as a hunting round.
I had great results 200 eld x 30cal 787 yard shot threw shoulder broke it opened up and went on back side of far shoulder found in hide dis amazing. But I did forget I had some bad results with 7mm 150 eld x not doing great at all close range

I too will be switching from the 147 eld-x. Sure they killed the whitetail, but most anything will with a good shot. It’s placement that matters. However. Some bullets are better at killing than others. I harvested two whitetail where the round entered between a rib and exited between a rib without hitting a bone, I’m fairly certain that both of those rounds didn’t expand at all. Again, yes it killed them, but there are better ways to go about it. From my experience, I can’t whole heartedly recommend the eld-x as a hunting round.

Did you mean 143 ELD-X or 147 ELD-M? Many have claimed to get mixed or bad results with 143 ELD-X but the ELD-Ms so far seem to be have a good track record with very few if any negative claimed results on terminal performance...

Reactions: rope and km77
Did you mean 143 ELD-X or 147 ELD-M? Many have claimed to get mixed or bad results with 143 ELD-X but the ELD-Ms so far seem to be have a good track record with very few if any negative claimed results on terminal performance...
Yeah, my fault! Edited the original message, good catch. I was using the Precision Hunter 143 eld-x factory ammo.

127 LRX. Havent recovered one yet from any elk or deer the old lady has shot. Shots have been from 60 to 400yds. No splinters or lead spattered meat to throw away.

edited to add: its a .260 rem

Last edited:
127 LRX. Havent recovered one yet from any elk or deer the old lady has shot. Shots have been from 60 to 400yds. No splinters or lead spattered meat to throw away.

edited to add: its a .260 rem
They don’t exit on a moose forward to rear but broadside they will.

Factory loads, Hornady Precision Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor 143 gr ELD-X have done well for me. Small sample though, two good sized hogs at at 120 yards were drt. Decent exit, good shot placement.