• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Prefit Barrel Nuts

Ruskin

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2018
Northwest Arkansas
I'm looking forward to getting my ARC Archimedes action soon but don't yet have a barrel nut for my prefit Proof carbon barrel.
What do ya'all recommend?

PVA.

Looks great and uses a regular old crescent wrench.

I think the NSS is the sexiest nut.

Edit: This requires a tool specifically for this which is 18 bucks. The bighorn and PVA nut only requires what you probably already have in your tool box

Last edited:

Stay far far away from PVA. I ordered a pair of barrel nuts 10 weeks ago (they showed in stock) and still they still haven't shipped. I went with the Bighorn barrel nut and like it a lot, I thought about the Bugnut but was afraid of needing a specialized tool that I would lose at the worst possible moment.

Stay far far away from PVA. I ordered a pair of barrel nuts 10 weeks ago (they showed in stock) and still they still haven't shipped. I went with the Bighorn barrel nut and like it a lot, I thought about the Bugnut but was afraid of needing a specialized tool that I would lose at the worst possible moment.
I too have had one on order for many weeks. That’s why I started looking at other nuts.

I’m leaning towards the bugnut, any down side? What other nuts have you used?
The bug nut is different in that the barrel needs to be cut for it and not a regular savage or remage style nut. Not that it’s a bad thing, just making you aware that there is a difference though they do the same thing just with different aesthetics.

I’ve been running the Bugnut on my Mausingfield, seems to be working well. Barrel is a Proof CF.

I like the Bighorn and Bugnut, they use a standardized wrench and may be less susceptible to acquiring tool marks.

The NSS has an undeniable cool factor.

Greg

I just put together a rifle with a McGowen Barrel, Nucleus Action, and a Bighorn Barrel Nut. The Barrel Nut is great and can be tightened down with a standard 1 1/8" wrench.

I just put together a rifle with a McGowen Barrel, Nucleus Action, and a Bighorn Barrel Nut. The Barrel Nut is great and can be tightened down with a standard 1 1/8" wrench.
Thank you all for the input and humor on the barrel but question. I’ve ordered a PVA and a bugnut. I’ll see what I like best.

Check out my post (#28) if you want to see what it looks like. The pic is my Mausingfield in a Bravo, barrel is a Proof light Sandero with the bugnut.
And that’s cut for the bugnut or that’s a bugnut on a savage style? (Trying to clarify since the discussion has veered towards the later but it looks like the first)

Sorry. It’s the version that goes with shouldered style barrels (not Savage). Do they make a version for Savage countours?

Last edited:
Got it. I can see if it’s the right thread pitch ( and everything else works out) that it will work out. In short, the Bug Nut is for standard barrel contours.

Ordered a PVA for savage small shank and it would not thread on, period. Reported it to PVA and they sent a replacement to make it good but I just ended up ordering a Bighorn anyway.

Very happy with the look of the Bighorn nut on my Nucleus w/ Proof Carbon.