• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Premier to Nightforce; Would I be downgrading?

diderr

The Patch Guy
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2013
Gillette, Wyoming
datapatches.com
I have a 3-15 Premier Heritage right now. I enjoy the clarity and the MIL range, but it's lacking in optical power for my new 338. I can see bullet holes in paper 400+ yards away on low mirage days, but the Gen II Mil-dot reticle is a little thick for real precision work. I've been looking at a NXS 5.5-22x50. I can get 27 mils out of it (my Premier is 28). My question is would I be happy with the switch? Or should I just save some coin and go with a 5-25 Schmidt & Bender?
Thanks.

I am a die hard Nightforce guy, and have run the NXS, F1 and currently the ATACR. Now understanding the NXS is SFP and the Premier FFP there is a down grade between the two. I have worked with the Premier and agree it is top tier and for a reason. The NXS is an excellent optic but a better combination, scope for scope is comparing the Premier to the ATACR. Other then giving up FFP for SFP I would say the void is much closer. Now a more direct comparison would be the Premier to the Steiner. I had a Steiner and it was very close to my friends Premier. The only reason I sold mine is because I wanted the ATACR with more magnification, and SFP is not an issue for me. (my Steiner was the 3-15)

Sully

Without a doubt it would be a downgrade. Both are excellent scopes. However the Premier has features not found on the NF. Quality of construction is on par with one another. Optically the Premier is undoubtably better. Now the Premier and NF ATACR is a completely different discussion.

Side by side the Premier still had slightly better optical quality but it was very close. At a recent sniper school I attended there were a few Premiers and S&B's and of course we all played with each others gear. After doing a side by side by side the collective all agreed the S&B was 1A, Premier 2B but the ATACR was very close, so close a few shooters saw no real difference. There is also a $1,500 difference so for me, not needed FFP, the ATACR is the better buy but the Premier and S&B are the slightly better optics.

Sully

If you can afford it, get the S&B and be done looking for another scope in the future. Still the "Gold Standard", although some may disagree!

Going to any SFP from FFP is a downgrade IMO. However going to the F1 or beast if it ever ships would be an upgrade from any premier.

If you can afford it, get the S&B and be done looking for another scope in the future. Still the "Gold Standard", although some may disagree!

I agree. S&B's are awesome scopes, that's all there is to it.

I fought even the thought of buying a S&B for a few years just because of the enormous price difference of some of the better tactical scopes and the S&B. It was a huge financial sacrifice for me! Now a year after the first purchase I bought another.

Story...Years ago I was using a cheap FFP scope and then upgraded to a SFP NXS. Some friends and I went out shooting and were helping each other out with wind calls by spotting through our scopes. I was so used to "not" having to think about which magnification I was on for wind holds (FFP), that I was giving them wrong holds because I was adjusting the mag for FOV and mirage in the SFP NXS. Being one of those annoying things I don't want to worry about I sold it ASAP and bought one of the first Bushnell HDMR's which I still regard as the best scope out there for the money. I'd take a HDMR over any SFP scope no matter how expensive, end of story.

If you enjoy the Premier 3-15 w/ MilDot reticle, but want more power and finer reticle, why not get a Premier 5-25 w/ Gen 2xr reticle? I have both the 3-15 and the 5-25 and the big brother is an awesome scope in every way. You can find used Premier 5-25 w/ the Gen 2XR all the time here on the hide, in the $2400-$2800 range.

If you enjoy the Premier 3-15 w/ MilDot reticle, but want more power and finer reticle, why not get a Premier 5-25 w/ Gen 2xr reticle? I have both the 3-15 and the 5-25 and the big brother is an awesome scope in every way. You can find used Premier 5-25 w/ the Gen 2XR all the time here on the hide, in the $2400-$2800 range.

Yup. I don't see what the S&B truly has that the Premier or even the Steiner doesn't. I have the 5-25 Steiner with MSR and it's a great scope for much less money than S&B.

I've had Premier, Hensoldt, S&B and Steiner. I would say my favourite would be Hensoldt (that sight picture and ease of viewing...), Steiner (MSR) and then Premier. S&B is just over priced for functions and features that can be attained with no loss of performance elsewhere.

Going to any SFP from FFP is a downgrade IMO. However going to the F1 or beast if it ever ships would be an upgrade from any premier.

The F1 would be an upgrade from any premier???? Have you EVER looked thru one? Apparently not. The BEAST may be comparable but to state that the F1 would be an upgrade or even on par with glass in a Premier is simply not true. Build quality and all out ruggedness they are both tanks but contrast, resolution and just about every comparable feature image quality wise the Premier will dominate any NF NXS scope. Even the ATACRs glass is a slight downgrade IMO and everyone I know or have ever shot with agrees and I have a feeling that most here on the hide that have had any time between these scopes will agree as well.

The F1 would be an upgrade from any premier???? Have you EVER looked thru one? Apparently not. The BEAST may be comparable but to state that the F1 would be an upgrade or even on par with glass in a Premier is simply not true. Build quality and all out ruggedness they are both tanks but contrast, resolution and just about every comparable feature image quality wise the Premier will dominate any NF NXS scope. Even the ATACRs glass is a slight downgrade IMO and everyone I know or have ever shot with agrees and I have a feeling that most here on the hide that have had any time between these scopes will agree as well.

I had both at the same time when they came out and even did a review to them. The NF is superior to the Premier in every way especially build quality. On top of it all the stupid turrets gave me nothing but problems and produced tracking issues because they wouldn't lock up no matter how tight I made the lever. I wouldn't recommend one to anybody.

I had zero issues with the turrets the only complaint I had with a 3-15 Premier was the lack of Parallax marks on its turret (which has been remedied). Perhaps you got a lemon. That would be enough to turn me off of them also. I guess to each his own eh

I got a run of the mill product, no lemon. There are plenty of complaints with premier, most likely they're all because their parts they import from nunya. There's a reason NF is alive and doing well and premier went out of business.

I would give up my S&B before I would ever let my Premier go. And in terms of optical quality, you are downgrading going from a Premier to a Nightforce. If I were in your shoes, I would get a Premier 5-25 with the Gen2XR reticle, it is my favorite reticle by far, it gives you enough information and reference points without being too busy and the thickness of the reticle is very fine which is great for my eyes(too thin for some peoples eyes on low power).

Got to look through an ATACR today. It seemed dark, and had little contrast. I'm sure it's an excellent scope, but It's amazing what looking through a Premier for 2 years will do to your perception on scopes.