• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing prep AI skins for duracoat?

K_4c

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    Whats the best way to prep AI skins for duracoat? should i hit em with a sand blaster and rough em up or just use a light sand paper? just cleaning them does not cut it (started to peel).

Thanks for any advice given.

Kinnamon

Re: prep AI skins for duracoat?

They are a PITA to prep. Do not sand. I blast with 120 alum. oxide, degrease blast again, degrease again, coat and hope it sticks.

Some will do the above then spray the skins with automotive bumper primer first. Never tried that so I can’t say if it helped or not.

how many coats do you put on??? I was thinking 2 to 3. How much does a fresh pair of 2.0 skins cost now in days? that may be the route I go if this gives me anymore trouble.

Thanks again,

Kinnamon

TacPro doesn't have their price list posted anymore, but they have skins in stock - at least for the 1.5 they're around $125 a pair.

Mark

I personally don't like anything Duracoated, I also vote for the skins.

They way I did mine was....

take the skins off, wash them in your sink under HOT water with a sponge and dish soap to remove dirt and oils.

Spray with Krylon Camo paint with fusion technology (sticks to plastics)

top it with a flat clear coat to protect the paint from solvents.

and thats it. The paint held up without a single ship or crak.

I removed the black skins, wipped them down quickly with laquer thinner, wrapped the skins with the net fabric like what is used for dirty laundry bags [cheap at fabric store], this creates a snake-skin type camo pattern, I sprayed skins with Kylon "textured" paint that is labeled for outdoor furniture/plastics, has enough grit to add more grip, used tan and brown colors that include their own shading and grit properties, sprayed one color then let dry to touch [10 min.] then moved the fabric and sprayed 2nd color, finished looks great, has held up great, done for less than $15.00 and 1 hour of time, many complements, doesn't look common or mass produced,

How about a picture Carsonpass? That sounds very interesting.

I just emailed some photos of the stock as used with my 40x .308 and my latest .243 made to shoot the 115 dtac.
    Take care,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24kinnamon_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the best way to prep AI skins for duracoat? should i hit em with a sand blaster and rough em up or just use a light sand paper? just cleaning them does not cut it (started to peel).

Thanks for any advice given.

Kinnamon </div></div>

are the skins some type of plastic?
    if so what ever you decide to do to scuff the surface i would put an adhesion promoter on first then finish with what ever you choose.
    there is a product called bulldog that is in rattle cans or quart cans that works pretty good.
    some times plastic or plastic like products need something to help the paint stick.
    you may also want to get a degreaser made for preping plastic parts.
    painting plastic is more of a chemical adhesion than physical that is why even if you sand it it sometimes peels anyway.
    here is what i would do.
    step 1 water, red scotchbrite pad and comet srcub it until dull
    step 2 after drying clean with a plastic degreaser
    step 3 adhesion promoter
    step 4 paint.