• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Press for 338 lapua

sharpshooter08

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
I would like some recomendations for a reloading press on reloading the 338 lapua.
Im currently looking into the hornady LNL classic single stage press.

any other tips or must need equipment for reloading this caliber is greatly appreciated.

Re: Press for 338 lapua

Dillon RL550B works for me!

Bill

I load for the 338 LM on a Hornady LNL single stage press. It works great. The only complaint that I have is that you have to angle the round to get it in the shellholder. Other than that, the press produces good ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dillon RL550B works for me!

Bill </div></div>

^^^^
What he said.

And it does so much more, much faster.

Chris

The latest generation of larger presses addresses such cartridges. I'll suggest the Redding <span style="font-style: italic">Big Boss</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">UltraMag</span>; either can be converted for the LNL bushings if desired.

I have a 650 and have been told that the dillon powder dispenser is unrealiable for loading accurate loads. Its good for doing pistol and rifle rounds in mass quanity for plinking and such.

But when it comes to making accurate or wanting to make accurate rounds to go with a single stage press has the correct amount of powder is crucial.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CVO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme </div></div>

1+ on that. Now, if you plan for a 50 BMG in the future, then I would go with the Ammomaster and use their adapter to load your 338 LM. I've been loading my 338 in the Chucker press, but now have to ponny up for a press for the 50 BMG

+1 to this suggestion. Getting accurate powder withing .1 of a grain is not possible with my 550, also getting accurate COL at the ogive is more predictable with a single stage like the RCBS.

my 2 cents.

Max

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sharpshooter08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But when it comes to making accurate or wanting to make accurate rounds to go with a single stage press has the correct amount of powder is crucial. </div></div>
You can get the precision die plate with the floating die set-up and plate locks, and use a powder funnel instead of the powder measure. Precision's no problem with a Dillon.

I want to see someone load .338 Lapua on a 550B and use the Dillon powder measure.

It should be obvious that someone loading .338 Lapua wants a single stage press.

I do load my .308 on my Dillon, but certainly not with the Dillon powder measure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to see someone load .338 Lapua on a 550B and use the Dillon powder measure.

It should be obvious that someone loading .338 Lapua wants a single stage press.
</div></div>
Me too.

I use the Co-ax for my .338LM. It works great. I also reload .308 and .260 on it. Never a problem.

I use an arbor press with Wilson dies to neck size and seat the bullet for a AI 338 Lapua. I have two arbor presses, a small Sinclair and a large Corbin press with arbor attachments, and both work well.

For 338 Lapua:

Presses currently made:

Redding Ultra mag
C-H Champion
Redding Big Boss II
Forster Co-AX

Discontinued Press, but still can be found:

RCBS A-4 Big MAX
RCBS A-2
Hollywood Senior

Dillon RL 550b can load the 338LM.

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme can load the 338LM.

Lee Classic Cast O frame can load the 338LM.

Hornady Classic O frame can load the 338LM.

Hornady Lock N Load can load the 338LM.

Among others. I use the Dillon and it's fine.

Chris

Reactions: Tremor3

Any of these along with the Dillon work great!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 338 Lapua:

Presses currently made:

Redding Ultra mag
C-H Champion
Redding Big Boss II
Forster Co-AX

Discontinued Press, but still can be found:

RCBS A-4 Big MAX
RCBS A-2
Hollywood Senior

</div></div>

I running a redding T7 press for anything from 17 rem up to a 416 rigs and I have had zero problems. The 338 Lapua has been no problem for the press at all. And for under $250 it hard to beat for a soild 7 hole turret press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sharpshooter08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 650 and have been told that the dillon powder dispenser is unrealiable for loading accurate loads. Its good for doing pistol and rifle rounds in mass quanity for plinking and such.

But when it comes to making accurate or wanting to make accurate rounds to go with a single stage press has the correct amount of powder is crucial. </div></div>

The Dillon powder measure works fine. Obviously powder choice can make a big difference as long stick powders will cause some hiccups. If you take the powder bar out and give it a good polish with either some 6-800 grit sandpaper or a dremel, you will reap some vast improvements in its performance. Also, don't forget to take some time when running the press for the powder to both drop into the bar and into the case.

If you aren't getting the charge accuracy you want you can still throw each powder charge separately and it is much more efficient to load on a progressive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sharpshooter08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 650 and have been told that the dillon powder dispenser is unrealiable for loading accurate loads. Its good for doing pistol and rifle rounds in mass quanity for plinking and such.

But when it comes to making accurate or wanting to make accurate rounds to go with a single stage press has the correct amount of powder is crucial. </div></div>

I don't think that the 650 has enough clearance to load the 338LM, nor do I believe that they make a shell plate to hold the brass, but I maybe wrong on this account.

Call Dillon.

I use a RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 to measure the powder for the majority of my target rounds using stick powders.

For short ranges, the SD on the Dillon PM isn't that high for say <500 yards and therefore it's fine for most people's needs. You can polish the funnels on the Dillon measures to get a more consistent 'throw' which helps.

Chris

Chris brings up a good point... I was simply referencing loading on a progressive and not specifically the 650.

The 650 will do cases as long as the 338 lapua however you would have to chat with dillon about whether or not a shellplate etc. is available for it.

Which specific dies (or die set) do I want to put on my 550b? I called Dillon and ordered there belted magnum powder charge for loading my 338 lapua, but they don't sell a die set for the 338. Can anyone tell me which dies they have had best luch with their 550 for the 338 lm????