• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer tool- need new one

You think this is bad, take a look at the DSLR camera market. We're getting off cheap....... :rolleyes:
Zeiss lenses for the win.

Edit:

But I do love my Asahi Super Takumar 55mm F1.8. Super sharp especially with macro attachments, and great bokeh for a 5 blade and the radioactive lens coatings give a hint of hue 🤣😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Threadcutter308
Is the hand primer tool hard on hands if you gotta do over 100? I do manuel labor and my hands get to hurting with arthritis
The mechanical leverage of the tool is very easy on the hands, even after several hundred.

Reactions: 260284
I've been using the same RCBS hand primer tool for the last 25 years. If it ever breaks I will buy the same exact one again. It has been a great product.

Same but I did break mine and they replaced the parts. Ive gotten lazy and acquired a 2nd so I can just leave one setup for large primers and another for small without having to switch parts.

Reactions: CNC-Dude and MJF
So, the CPS is just easier to use, it doesn’t produce that much better ammo?

For practical/prs purposes, it’s just about speed and how easy it is on the hands.

For things requiring a lot more into the weeds, there is some use as far as primer anvil crush/compression making some differences. But we are talking the highest levels of competitors in disciplines requiring much smaller numbers and groups.

I was very close to getting a CPS and still want one but like mentioned above I can buy another Dillon. I already have a 650 set up just don’t load my 6GT in it yet.

So, the CPS is just easier to use, it doesn’t produce that much better ammo?

"That much better" is all relative.

The Primal Rights guys had a post over on accurateshooter about the .001" difference clicks being too coarse an adjustment when you are really narrowing down primer depth.

• Haha
Reactions: JeffLebowski
The RCBS bench primer has worked for me. It’s a good combination of speed and accuracy for seating.

The bald eagle is slow and accurate. But it’s also discontinued.

The CPS is ridiculously expensive but is fast and accurate. I just can not see 600 for primer seating.

Reactions: 260284 and 47guy
For practical/prs purposes, it’s just about speed and how easy it is on the hands.

For things requiring a lot more into the weeds, there is some use as far as primer anvil crush/compression making some differences. But we are talking the highest levels of competitors in disciplines requiring much smaller numbers and groups.

This! I shoot midrange f class (600 yards) and some long-range (1000) and I don't know one shooter who uses the CPS. Yes, it is a fantastic piece of gear but if you aren't shooting high-level f class or benchrest I don't think you can honestly say it will make you shoot better. It's extremely expensive for what it is and I have no doubt how nice it is and will help the top 1% of shooter slightly at the 1000 yard line but it isn't some magic shooting cure that will help you suck less. Buy a Dillon instead and shoot more ammo it will improve your shooting way more than this ever will.

This! I shoot midrange f class (600 yards) and some long-range (1000) and I don't know one shooter who uses the CPS. Yes, it is a fantastic piece of gear but if you aren't shooting high-level f class or benchrest I don't think you can honestly say it will make you shoot better. It's extremely expensive for what it is and I have no doubt how nice it is and will help the top 1% of shooter slightly at the 1000 yard line but it isn't some magic shooting cure that will help you suck less. Buy a Dillon instead and shoot more ammo it will improve your shooting way more than this ever will.

Yep. Though I can’t overstate how much easier it is on the hands vs all other hand priming tools.

I use the Sinclair/Brownells hand primer. It is reputed to be the Cadillac of hand primers. It IS beautifully made, in the US, and the "feel" on seating, is great. Pricey though @ $125+.

Reactions: Lynn313 and 47guy
21st Century on match rifle loads. RCBS bench primer on a lot of rifle and self defense handgun loads. Handgun & 223 practice ammo on a progressive press.

I'm upping my game to the Primal Rights.....however...I expect ZERO change in my groups or results. I've upped my game in a lot of areas...from annealing and trimming to all kinds of tools. The ONLY things that have actually improved my results are the AutotricklerV3, AMP Annealer, and MagnetoSpeed. The rest is all about comfort, speed, and just liking nice things.

Yes, we don't need a $600 primer seater....I'm sure my Lee Bench Primer gives me the same results.....but I like nice things. Well...I have to add the LE Wilson/Sinclair Microadjust arbor seating die....that made a difference at a mere 1000yds and was very noticeable at 1mile +.

So....there are a lot of priming tools that work just fine.....we upgrade to something that is more comfortable....and we make excuses on having a more precise tool...but in reality...we simply like nice things.

i use the 21st century one.. works great for me but the primal rights version looks amazingly fast

What does everyone use or recommend? I need a new one
Been using the Frankford Arsenal for about a year and really like the quick change shell holder and the ability to adjust primer seating depth . For the last 35 yrs it’s been my RCBS tried and true hand primer. Happy Shopping!!

CPS is the only way to go . If I added up all I spent on all the others I should have got the CPS first and it would have been very cheap.

Reactions: ACard
I have used the Lee Ram Prime System for years and have never had any issues. Never liked hand primer type rigs...

VooDoo

The way I see it it's probably very very minimal but with speed generally errors are induced. When using a primer that goes on feel the faster you go the more there are differences in primer seating depth. I measured the depth of 20 of mine all seated carefully and they were pretty good when I measured 20 random ones out of a lot of 300 cases they didn't measure as well. I'm saving for a cps. As a result. I doubt I will see any difference on small batches but I think it may help when loading 300 as fast as I can. And if it doesn't help I do like nice things so it's still a win