• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primos trigger stick tripod

marvthehamster

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
looking for a tripod to shoot off of. I shoot an occasional precision match but mostly hunting these days. Guns sitting on top will be a 308 bolt and 223 AR. I played with these in a cabelas recently and was really impressed with the leg length adjustment mechanism. I understand they’re not as Bombproof as a traditional tripod but my main concern is portability and quick setup. I shoot in everything from prairie grass to mountain ridges. Looking at the tall version so I can use it standing.

2 main questions for anyone with Experience:

how’s durability?

How low can you go with the tall version? Usable from a high prone or is it basically sitting position on the lowest setting?

They suck, the legs tend to not grab the ground so they end up spreading out causing a total reset. I gave mine to my wife, lol, who doesn't shoot centerfires.

you get what you pay for. I use mine when I am in the field walking. Get the three legged one fo a bit more stability. Naturally they are not the quality of the MUCH more expensive ones, which I have and use when I am on feeder overwatch.

To be fair, they retail for a similar price as the grunt tripod that many people are drooling over in this very forum.

To reiterate, I’m more concerned with portability and speed of deployment. I understand that a MUCH more expensive tripod will be a “better” product.

The foot slipping is not something I had considered, definitely something that’s concerning. If it doesn’t stay put it’s worthless, no matter how light or quick it is.

Thanks for the responses so far.

I love the damned thing. Used as intended (for hunting) they work great. Much better than the side of a tree. Deploy fast, easily adjustable. Do the legs move after the shot, sure. But if it helps to get on target for that first shot, I'm bringing it with me to the field.

I really like mine for what it is, which is a lightweight tripod that I can deploy really fast. It's not a precision instrument, but it's not supposed to be. I've killed deer at 300 yards off mine with no problems.

Good idea , poor execution

The feet slip on pretty much anything but soft dirt or sand , way worse on unlevel ground .

There is a bunch of play where the handle meets the legs .

The stud inside a stud mount on the top is plastic inside and it breaks easily .

There is no positive stop for how wide the legs will spread and this makes the sliding feet worse .

When the legs are spread all the way out to get lower the feet don't bite on anything and slip all over the place .

When shooting with the legs wide it is like shooting on a trampoline because the whole thing bounces .

The v notch support that comes with it is crap and doesn't fit anything other than the narrowest forends .

The length of the handle above the legs adds to the wobble of the rifle .

They suck, the legs tend to not grab the ground so they end up spreading out causing a total reset. I gave mine to my wife, lol, who doesn't shoot centerfires.

Indeed the legs not grabing is the single biggest issue and weight ,i toyed with a 3 leged one for a while but int the end built myself some carbon fiber shooting sticks and am not looking back .

Last edited:
Good idea , poor execution

The feet slip on pretty much anything but soft dirt or sand , way worse on unlevel ground .

There is a bunch of play where the handle meets the legs .

The stud inside a stud mount on the top is plastic inside and it breaks easily .

There is no positive stop for how wide the legs will spread and this makes the sliding feet worse .

When the legs are spread all the way out to get lower the feet don't bite on anything and slip all over the place .

When shooting with the legs wide it is like shooting on a trampoline because the whole thing bounces .

The v notch support that comes with it is crap and doesn't fit anything other than the narrowest forends .

The length of the handle above the legs adds to the wobble of the rifle .
The Gen 3 has two stops for spread of the legs. I agree they could definitely do some things better (allowing for spike or claw feet would be great) and there’s a lot of plastic in the head mechanism, but that also keeps the weight down. The fundamental design is sound, but I think you could make a much better product for maybe $250 or $300. Would love for them to license out the trigger mechanism to a company like RRS and see what they could do with it.

That said, I think for the money, for stalk hunting they’re a good option. I’ve shot my 10lb 7mm Rem Mag off the tall Gen 2 one at full extension with no problem.

http://www.precisionriflesolutions.com/apps/webstore/products/show/839380

Lighter , more stable , more versatile , and cheaper depending on what's on sale at the moment .

Tried really hard to like the triggers sticks but the end result is they just don't work . Set up offline and the legs slip and pop out and you dump all your crap on the ground and miss a shot and don't even think about using the pan feature .

There are way better options available that are in the same price range .