• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Private Pilots?

Re: Private Pilots?

Between the Cessna and Liberty, I'd say try them both and see which one appeals to you. I'm partial to Cessna's as training aircraft b/c I learned in a 152.
Even now, after flying in the flight levels with kerosene burners, there is still something refreshingly simple about flying a 172.

Actually the begs a question for me now...I train on a Diamond DA40 w/ G1000 cockpit, I wonder how rough it's going to be to go to steam gauges after this. I think I've been spoiled by all glass, traffic advisory, gps maps, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wanderlust</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually the begs a question for me now...I train on a Diamond DA40 w/ G1000 cockpit, I wonder how rough it's going to be to go to steam gauges after this. I think I've been spoiled by all glass, traffic advisory, gps maps, etc. </div></div>

I went from the CRJ-200 with Collins ProLine4 avionics to a Citation II with "steam" gauges and an old KLN-90B GPS.

It really wasn't that hard at all, IMO...the 'difficulty' of such transition is WAY over-hyped.

Good too know thanks. Were you flying CRJs for regional or private? (end thread jack sorry!)

I flew for Air Wisconsin (US Airways Express, formerly United Express).

Biggest thing going from glass to steam is (here I go again) LOOKING OUTSIDE. Without traffic information or a huge moving map, you've got to pay attention to where you are, where you are going, and who is around you.

Think of it as having situational awareness vs. positional awareness (which is where many G1000 pilots stop).

Our SR22 has *way* more advanced avionics than the C-II did!

I earned my PPL back in 2006. Due to highschool, working part time to pay for it, military, and college classes, it took a couple years to finish it. If at all possible, start your flight training with enough funds set aside to begin with. This will ensure that you don't have to go through groundschool more then once and take the written twice also. Yeah, this wasn't an efficient method at all...

I can't believe how much aircraft rentals have gone up over the past several years! When I started flight training in 2003, I was only paying around $60/hour wet for a C172!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so here is my next question.. should I learn on a C-172SP or Liberty XL2? I can get them for the same price.. different schools but both seem very well represented!

Also I don't think I need the 4 seats for a while.. my wife refuses to fly in something that small haha. I do have 2 daughters that I want to take up but one is only 2 months old so.. </div></div>

The Liberty looks like it has a higher stall speed (though I did not research this much) - which makes for a slightly less forgiving basic trainer; but would make transition into a slicker/faster/hotter airplane easier.

OK so with all events unfolding I have found the Flight School that I will be attending! It seems like they are pretty a pretty good set of people that are really setup and know what is going on!

http://henleyaviation.com/index.html

It looks like I am going to train on the Piper Warrior.. thoughts?

Thanks again everyone!

Pretty much, but the view is great. Plus it's a lot of tricky airspace, and the F22's make for great flyovers.

I bought a trike, flew in a friend's two seater 3 times to get the hang of it and now 1 year later I have 65 hours flying. No license but have seen as much as I want from 2000 agl. Awesome doesnt describe it.

OK so bringing this back.. I was wondering if using an ipad for checkilists and everything else you would normally have on a kneepad is actually do-able? Thoughts?

Totally doable:

http://www.foreflight.com/ipad
http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/category/1036

Not sure about the checklists though, but it's not like they take up a lot of space. Also your CFI may or may not be kosher with using the ipad in lieu.

But if all else fails you should have a hard copy sectional, note pad, pen, checklists etc. Doesn't mean it has to leave the flight bag though.

I took a few lessons in a Cherokee 140 back in the 1990's. Most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.

Greg

After wanting to do this my whole life, playing all the flight sims, etc, I've just started recently as well.

I've only had 2 flights thus far but I had a great time and the instructor said I'm progressing more quickly than he expected.

I'm getting a 1977 piper warrior ii or a 1980 172SP for $70hr wet through a flying club I joined. Definitely a great price but my biggest fear is that I won't have time to fly consistently as I'd like.

I know its going to be awesome though and I really look forward to it

Wow that cheap, then again everything seems cheap to me. A 172SP is about $125/hr with discount here.

BTW I take my PP Written test today. Shooting for 90%.

$70 wet is DIRT cheap.

I've got hundreds of hours of dual given in the Warrior - great trainer.

Yea its really cheap indeed. To top it off, the first school I looked at charged $75 an hour for the instructor.

I talked to the instructor and he said he gets $17 an hour of that $75.

The instructor I have now charges $35/hr and has been the club instructor for a while and was highly recommended by several of the members.

So all in all I get the training for $105/hr which is definitely a steal compared to most places.

The club is very well off financially as far as reserves and the planes are very well maintained. I'm happy that I found this place because it made the Private License affordable for me. Otherwise I'd just have to wait a long time.

Forgot who said it, but MAKE DAMNED SURE that you PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to the basic navigation section.

And learn how to calculate winds in flight.

Electronic things WILL crap out.

And ALWAYS, ALWAYS have a spot picked out to land in if your engine goes poo-poo on you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone here a private pilot? I start my flight and ground training here in March and I was wondering if anyone has any pointers? Thanks for the help in advance!! </div></div>

Keep the BLUE side up!!

I will throw my hat in the ring with what has already been said about electronics taking a crap. As of lately, I've been very tempted to get an IPAD for my approach charts and en-route charts to lighten the load in my flight bag. I still cannot bring myself to do it because of Mr. MURPHY.
I'm gonna stay with my subscriptions for VFR and IFR charts until at least the end of 2012.

Doug,

You're probably going to think this is stupid, but take along a Rand-McNally Road Atlas with you.

When we were in primary helicopter flight school out at Ft. Wolters (Mineral Wells), Texas, some of the students, because of their initial difficulties with navigation, were "encouraged" by the IP's to carry a Texas road map with them on solo, cross country flights.

Spot a water tank, fly around it to get the name of the town to see where ya are, and fly home IFR (I Follow Roads).