• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Private Pilots?

USAFDoug

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2009
North Carolina
Anyone here a private pilot? I start my flight and ground training here in March and I was wondering if anyone has any pointers? Thanks for the help in advance!!

Re: Private Pilots?

I am. I would say just use your head, follow your instructors directions and stay safe. Flying is a blast and I'm sure you will love it.

Oh I can't wait! I didn't talk to the school much but I know I need about 40 hours of flight time but what about classroom/ground school? Do I just show up and fly each weekend? I would think there would be a required amount of class training before flying... of course I didn't ask and they are only there certain days... haha I am just stoked!

Also I was wondering... I will be paying 150/ hour for a wet plane and instructor. Does that seem about reasonable? It is through some Americans that work right around Manheim here in Germany!

I got my license back in 95 so things might have changed. I was able to attend ground school while recieving flight instructions. After around 10-15 hours your instructor will "kick you out of the nest" and you will get to solo. It use to be at least 20 hours solo/ 20 hours dual to meet the minimum requirement of getting your license (with instructors approval of course). I think $150.00 per hour is about right as the plane rental is around $100.00 per hour by itself. Have fun any enjoy yourself. You will love it. Steve.

Use your head and pay attention. It has been 20 years since I got my license so I don't know what they cover now but be sure to learn the GPS systems and hopefully they will cover WAAS in that too. I'm sure they will still teach old school but most aircraft now have GPS and more and more are WAAS enableb. The majority of it will become 2nd nature but never become complacent. I still use a check off sheet for every T/O and landing. I think $150/hr is pretty fair for a plane and instructor based on what it cost to operate our aircraft.

The cost of fuel in the states has skyrocketed in the last 4 yrs. Your price seems fair and is definately not overly high.

Try to listen to your instructor, even if what he is saying doesn't make a lot of sense to you. Study any assignments that he gives you. Get a FAR/Aim and read through sections that apply to your flying.

Go for it and enjoy yourself! Comprehensive pre-flight inspections and practicing slow flight (power on & off) will prepare you for...

150 isn't bad depending on the aircraft and instructor. I'm taking it your overseas?!?!? Are going for your FAA(United States) licenses or JAA( European licenses)???

Check out Rob Machado's books. I used to use his stuff quite a bit when I was giving lessons.

Buy a good headset. It'll save your hearing and make the flights less fatiguing.

Oh this is through an American Aero club over here so it will be FAA.

Thanks for the help everyone! I can not wait I am just so stoked!

Aircraft is a C-172 equipped with a Garmin GNS430 GPS.

It's a all round bad idea.

Learning to fly in Germany in a AC with great downward visibility. First you have to buy used books and a used headset(to save money). Then you need to see the black forest, tour the castles, fly the length of the Rhine, etc. etc. Once you have your license you'll have to tour Europe while your stationed there.

All going to cost boucoup bucks.

Just Kidding. Learning to fly in Germany probably one of the greatest experiences in your life.

Listen and pay attention. Dont get behind the airplane but you will learn more about that as you get training. I would suggest paying very close attention to navigating VFR because if you start to get used to using the GPS, it will create bad habbits. Dont ever believe them when they say the fuel tanks are full. ALWAYS do your preflight walkaround/checks. Most wont stress the maintenance logs much but once you start to solo, make sure you check out the maintenance logs before every flight. I lost an engine while flying in a 172 once because they just replaced 2 pistons and didnt tell me and believe it or not, didnt have it listed in the logs.

I've about 14500 flight hours in different planes, I think learn to fly in USA is the best option, for the enviroment, meteo, specially wind conditions and air traffic...

in USA with VFR rules you have to look outside constantly....

also the basic private and commercial man.. with ground reference are better stressed in the USA if I've to compare similar things in other countries..

stay safe

There are several ways to do the ground/flying school thing. You can do all your ground school, pass the written and never get in an airplane till you have written done. You can actually do the opposite and do all your flying before the written (NOT recommended). Or, as most people do, you do them concurrently. I'm incredibly jealous that you are learning to fly in Germany...I can't imagine how awesome that will be!
Good luck! And don't sweat it too much. There are some difficult parts, but it really isn't too hard as long as you have two brain cells to keep each other warm night! Now your instrument rating...that's a whole other beast!

1) While you are learning, concentrate on developing good hands and feet: Anyone can learn systems, but few learn to be talented pilots when flying hands-on.

Like shooting in the wind, that means flying in the wind. If you haven't landed with the yoke all the way to the stop, or been out in a day where your control inputs slap the column from side-to-side on a 152 or 172, then grab an instructor who knows what he is doing and have him show you how to really drive an airplane. That way you won't be scared to make control inputs if and when things turn to shit.

2) When yout get back here, read and know your FAR/AIM and refer to it constantly. It is based on a lot of hard lessons, written in blood, and everything you need to know really is in there.

3) Even if you don't intend on completing an instrument rating, attend an instrument rating ground school: It will give you more rounded knowledge of weather and of how the air traffic system all fits together. That will boost your confidence VFR.

4) Take a basic aerobatic course. The private pilot flight test in the USA does not include executing spin recovery to standard. In my opinion, a basic pilot should know a) how to <span style="text-decoration: underline">roll</span> out if one becomes inverted, and b) how to do spin recovery under the hood.

5) You only learn for the first time one time, so get up early, don't cut corners on pre-flight or checklists, jump-in, have fun, and enjoy it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

4) Take a basic aerobatic course. The private pilot flight test in the USA does not include executing spin recovery to standard. In my opinion, a basic pilot should know a) how to <span style="text-decoration: underline">roll</span> out if one becomes inverted, and b) how to do spin recovery under the hood.
</div></div>

+1000 Great advice. I was fortunate enough that my instructors were some of my best friends and also aerobatics instructors. This will make you much more comfortable in yours and the airplanes capabilities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4) Take a basic aerobatic course. The private pilot flight test in the USA does not include executing spin recovery to standard. In my opinion, a basic pilot should know a) how to <span style="text-decoration: underline">roll</span> out if one becomes inverted, and b) how to do spin recovery under the hood. </div></div>+1000 Great advice. I was fortunate enough that my instructors were some of my best friends and also aerobatics instructors. This will make you much more comfortable in yours and the airplanes capabilities. </div></div>...and I mean IFR spin-recovery under the hood in a real airplane, not a simulator. There's a big difference in confidence level between having done something simulated, and having done it for real.

Simulators are great for practicing procedures, especially on cost-prohibitive big jets, but they don't teach you how to drive the airplane.

When my daughter was in her mid-teens, we took lessons together. We would each ride in back on the other's lessons (Piper Cherokee 140, PA-22).

Hard to believe it's been more than twenty years ago now. Fabulous experience.

In a pinch, each of us could probably take over and land in an emergency; but I doubt I'd ever get the chance anymore.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4) Take a basic aerobatic course. The private pilot flight test in the USA does not include executing spin recovery to standard. In my opinion, a basic pilot should know a) how to <span style="text-decoration: underline">roll</span> out if one becomes inverted, and b) how to do spin recovery under the hood. </div></div>+1000 Great advice. I was fortunate enough that my instructors were some of my best friends and also aerobatics instructors. This will make you much more comfortable in yours and the airplanes capabilities. </div></div>...and I mean IFR spin-recovery under the hood in a real airplane, not a simulator. There's a big difference in confidence level between having done something simulated, and having done it for real.

Simulators are great for practicing procedures, especially on cost-prohibitive big jets, but they don't teach you how to drive the airplane. </div></div>

And if you get the chance, do it out in the middle of nowhere on an cloudy day with snow on the ground. Try recovery first by looking out the windows and then try again under the hood. It teaches you really quick to trust the instruments when everything is white with no reference points and you cant tell up from down visually.

I appreciate the help! They also offer a 6 day intense ground school that is covered by TA so I will for sure be doing that! I plan on going somewhere with this in the future so I am going to grab up as much info and training that I can that is for sure!

Any suggestions on a good headset?

Man I love this forum!!

The aerobatics advice is awesome! I suggest getting your Instrument rating as soon as you can too... Your private pilots license just means you can get from point A to point B while keeping the blue side up on a nice sunny day, but your Instrument rating teaches you to actually FLY the airplane!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Speed is life, have fun. </div></div>

Unless you compress nose down then you become a lawn dart. Flying rocks, have fun.

Flyingbullseye

i did not learn to fly till i fell out of them for years......so now when i walk toward an aircraft.....i'm usually looking on how to exit them...

....just keep the shiny side up......its all systems managment like graham says

When you get done with the school while things are still fresh in your head, get over to the FAA, take your test for Single engine aircraft, multi engine aircraft and dont forget you IFR rating. It is alway good to keep your civilian ratings up.

I'm sure the Garmin 430 in the 172 is the Com 1 and Nav 1 but be sure to turn the map off for your entire private training.

I wont even begin to act as if i know the first thing about flying an aircraft. However, my grandfather (rip) built racecars and eventually planes that he flew with no type of formal schooling what so ever. But he was also a complete bad ass and this was in the 1970's when shit like that was still no big deal as long as you lived in the sticks and knew the right people. I realize that in no way have i contributed any usefull information to your post. But good luck anyways.

ATP MEL, Commercial SEL & Rotorcraft Helicopter. CFI, II, H, G......Let me know if you need any help. I would ba happy to help a forum member with their flight training.

Do your training as quickly as possible. That way you won't spend a lot of time going over what you did in your last lesson.

Busting it out quickly will save you money in the long run. I did private, instrument, commercial single and multi-engine, CFI, CFII, and MEII all in just under a year.

I don't think $150 an hour isn't too bad in these times.

Get microsoft flight simulator and a CH yoke and practice on your own simulator.
I got MS Flight simulator for Apple IIe and learned to fly from it. When I took lessons later on it was apparent how valuable sim time is. When I got my instrument rating I would fly the sim about 15 hours a week and make all kinds of practice approaches.

If you get a good instructor, rock on. If he sucks then change right away. I wasted several hundred dollars on a suck-ass instrument instructor. I ended up going to a school for airline pilots and got proper instrument training.

Don't stop with a Private, go for Instrument then commercial. Always keep learning.

Yes that is the plan... keep on going up and up! I am actually looking at an Army Helo pilot that is an instructor on the side. A friend of mine says he is great... thanks!

USAFDoug,

You are gonna loveit dude! I've had a love affair with flying all my life. I come from a military aviation family, and wanted to follow in the family footsteps, but being 6'6" 250# put the kabosh on things real quick. Long story short, I ended up operating and transporting heavy equipment for almost 20 yrs, and finally realized I aint gonna live forever, and decided on a career change.

Right now I'm about almost 30% through my Private, I'm flying twice a week, and hoping to have my PP cert in June or July. I have no idea were this road is gonna take me, but I plan on going all the way to ATP.

All I can say is F%#K! This is the best decision I have ever made, and the only regret i have is waiting so long. Oh well. Things happen for a reason.

I'm paying $140 wet for a C172. I'm doing my flying/GS congruently, which IMO is the only way to do it because you fly what you just learned in the book (AND THERE IS A LOT TO LEARN FELLOW GRASSHOPPER!!!)

Dude...I'm gettin a boner just talkin about it. Adrenalin has always been my drug of choice, and for going to school this is great.

One lil thing my lil grasshopper ass might recommend is stay on it and fly very regularly to keep things fresh. Also a good headset is awesome, and to me totally worth it. Since I knew that I had a lot of schooling ahead of me, I went ahead and just got a nice headset. I have the Bose A20's, and I think they are great. The only thing I really have to compare them to are some DC's the school had, so my opinion is very narrow. Either way I have no complaints.

Also (this is something I'm trying to do as well...) don't get too caught up in reaching the end goal, enjoy the journey!

Oh I plan on enjoying the journey for sure! Thank you for the info and I will take a look at the Bose headset...

my only issue is this... the drive will be about 2.5 hours which really sucks! I can drive down on a saturday and fly stay the night and fly sunday or I could prob do that friday-saturday type deal but is 2 days a month enough?

I personally would not feel comfy flyin only 2 days a month. Flying is a fine motor skill, and like all FMS's its use it or lose it. For me I think you would not retain as much flying only twice a month, and you might find yourself doing lots of review. Just my 0.02. I'm just a grasshoppa myself right now. I'm flyin 2 days a week right now, but I'm only 30 mins from the AP, and my goals might be different then yours.
I want to fly for a living.

Ah man its like a beat down! I want to fly but shit... I can't afford to fly and drive 5 hours round trip every weekend and have a family life and work 50-60 hours a week! I may have to wait till I get back to the states. F

OK so I just got out of the A-10 sim and I have relly found the love for flying! We are heading to NC so once we get there and setup I will be finding a flight school and work on my PPL!

OK also what should I have to start flying? I am going to purchase a decent headset.. but what else? Thanks again!

Find an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) and get your 3rd class medical/student license. When it comes time to start studying for your written...Remember KING Schools for all of your study needs. I used KING courses for all of my ratings (See my user name)
If you decide that you're going to stick with it. Join AOPA and get their legal services plan and renters insurance just in case. I have not needed to use it, but I fly better knowing I have it. If you get a FSDO inspector with a bug up his ass WHEN a ramp check occurs, it's better to have the lawyers already tee'd up.
PM me with any further questions, and good luck!
P.S.-Remember that there are a lot of CFI's out there trying to make a living, if you get one that does not jive with you, find another!

i use'd to fly quite a lot in small aircraft...but i never landed in the same aircraft i took off in......

I have been taking lessons since June and am finding it to be rewarding and well worth my time and expenses. I hate that I have for various reasons missed three weeks in a row three different times or I would be much further through the process. I think the cost is about right per hour. We have to hope the price of fuel can stay stable or better yet go down but I doubt it. Good luck

I've got around 9000 house now. Split between piston planes and jets\turbine lanes.

The best advice..... Do if for fun. The life style sucks

How do you grow to hate something you love?

Do it everyday for a living.

I've got a couple that few pilots have... S/MES.

rrflyer is right. Have a good paying job, keep aviation as a sport/hobby.

Professional pilot here...former CRJ pilot turned reformed Citation CJ2+ and Cirrus SR22 driver, also a current and active CFI-AIM.

The advise others have given so far is good; don't be afraid to fire your instructor if they don't seem interested in TEACHING you what you need to know.

I remember not too long ago I could rent a C-152 for $75 wet and a C-172S for $107 wet. These days, with 100LL running in the $6/gal range and insurance for flight instruction through the roof, its just frigging outrageous.

Two words of wisdom - RIGHT RUDDER and LOOK OUTSIDE!
wink.gif

I am getting the C-172 for 115 wet so that isn't too bad I didnt think with the price of fuel jumping through the roof...

Ok so here is my next question.. should I learn on a C-172SP or Liberty XL2? I can get them for the same price.. different schools but both seem very well represented!

Also I don't think I need the 4 seats for a while.. my wife refuses to fly in something that small haha. I do have 2 daughters that I want to take up but one is only 2 months old so..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two words of wisdom - RIGHT RUDDER and LOOK OUTSIDE!
wink.gif
</div></div>

You sound like my CFI.