• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision problem w/pvs-14 inline w/eotech - very small fov

dcoil

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2012
I'm having problems getting a good useful field of view when putting a pvs-14 behind an eotech. The eotech has the nv function and keeps the reticle from blooming. But my fov is only a fraction when used together compared to that of either the pvs-14 or the eotech alone. I can only see the reticle and the area just outside the reticle clearly but further out from this the field is just cloudy. The useful fov is less than 50% of what I think it should be. I've tried moving the eotech close to the pvs-14 or further down the rail away from it, but this doesn't seem to matter. Any ideas why I've got this problem?

EDITED - changed my type of 'in front of an eotech' to 'behind an eotech'. My bad...

Last edited:
Place your PVS BEHIND the EO, not in front. The NV reticles of the EO's are designed not to bloom or damage a 14 while the PVS is looking through the EO Tech.

Vic

X2. What he said! Obviously coming from Victor has WAY more validity than from somebody like me. I run it BEHIND my Eotech and it works great. Till now, I had never heard of anyone running it in front of a RDS. I guess there's a first time for everything. :)

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Oh no, typing too quickly... My pvs-14 is BEHIND my eotech.

use each one independently and make sure both are working as they should. Make sure the day cap is off the PVS-14, and try them together. Have the 14 aligned correctly, preferably with a D-lock as it is made specifically for that and have them seperated about 1/4 inch. The eotech NV reticle also has gain. Have it set as low as you can and still site on a target.

Hopefully-it will work.

Good thoughts. I've got them both mounted on the rail but a bit more than 1/4" in between I think - I'll have to measure that tonight. The pvs-14 is on a slide to side qd mount. Both work fine indepentandly. But when I slide the pvs-14 in-line with eotech the sight picture narrows down dramatically compared to either one working independantly, with a clear center and cloudy perimeter. The ir of the pvs-14 is off so it's not splashing back from the eotech. And the eotech is in the nv position - I can't see the reticle at all in this setting unless looking at it through the pvs-14. I can adjust it depending on the amount of moon/star/ambient light, but in the nv position none of the settings will cause bloom. What I will check is alignment and spacing. I can also run the pvs-14 on my head as KE suggested and see if that works.

If any light is glaring off the rear lens of the eotech from street lights bright moon will glare out so to speek the NV unit,you can cup your hand over the top/sides to test for it. FYI if eotech and NV are left on long enough or the day light setting is accidentally engaged IT WILL burn the reticule into the NV unit when piggy back.. For safety if you are not looking threw the NV weapons mounted Turn it off.

Last edited:
If any light is glaring off the rear lens of the eotech from street lights bright moon will glare out so to speek the NV unit,you can cup your hand over the top/sides to test for it. FYI if eotech and NV are left on long enough or the day light setting is accidentally engaged IT WILL burn the reticule into the NV unit when piggy back.. For safety if you are not looking threw the NV weapons mounted Turn it off.

I truly appreciate all of the help suggested to get this working correctly. The above suggestion hit my particular problem. I have a pole light that was probably 30ft behind me and didn't throw any light into my field of view, but it did 'bounce' off the eotech back into the pvs-14. After measuring and making sure everything was in alignment, I took it out again with the same results. Each unit worked fine by itselft, but when I put them inline my field of vision became cloudy around the edges. I put my hand over the top of the the two and the cloud went away. It took just a second to realize what had been going on. I know it wasn't much light that was being reflected, but with a pvs-14 it was enough to mess up the site picture. And as suggested, I never turn on the NV unless I'm looking through it - either by itself or when run inline with the eotech. Thanks all again, another lesson learned....

So in terms of covering the gap between the red dot and PVS-14(as you would with your hand), has anyone developed a method for doing this? I'm trying to think of a material that could be used to cover the gap... Does anyone sell a product that would accomplish this?

Couple pieces of velcro will solve that problem quickly.

Frankie-good info, never thought of that, but then the areas I hunt never have light problems like that. Never stop learning!!

Dcoil,

Glad to hear you figured out the problem. Depending on how you mounted your 14 there still may be room for improvment- as Pete asked could you share a picture of your setup? Some minor adjustments can make a considerable difference in the image quality and FOV on this type of setup.

Ident

As suggested here are the pics of my setup. Both with the pvs 'slide to side' and inline. There are very close together, so close that I have to slide to side the pvs to operate the eotech, then slide back inline. I may try the next 'notch' out for the eotech to get a bit more room and see what it does to the site picture.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 24
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 25