• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Problem with Taurus PT 1911 AR .45cal

tman300wm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2004
Texas
Several weeks ago, I was cleaning my new Taurus PT 1911 AR and getting ready to put it in my bed side nightstand. I keep it there, loaded, next to a flashlight. I placed a full magazine of 8 rounds in the pistol, cycled the slide and fed a round into the chamber. I then lowered the hammer to the half cock “safe” position. Then I removed the magazine, reloaded it with one more round, and reinserted the magazine into the pistol. As I did this, my trigger finger on the hand I was holding the firearm with slipped inside the trigger guard. Bang! The pistol discharged! I know what you are thinking; I didn’t have the pistol in the half cocked safe position. But I will tell you I was looking at the pistol from a side angle when I loaded the magazine and the hammer was most definitely in the half cocked “safe” position. I popped a nice .45cal hole in the back of my fireplace in my living room. The bullet lodged in a 2x4 stud on the other side of the steel fire box. I just about shit my pants! I have never negligently discharged a firearm in my life. I felt like a fucking idiot! I had been carrying the pistol with me while traveling recently. I could have easily shot my self or worse, shot someone with this firearm!

A couple of days latter I was stripping the pistol and trying to figure why it would do this. I tore it apart several times, and reassembled it. I kept playing with the half cock “safe” position of the hammer, and only one time could I get the hammer to drop from the half cock position while squeezing the trigger. I tried squeezing the trigger as hard as I could and it would not drop. However, when I inserted an empty magazine in the pistol, racked the slide, and then dropped the hammer to the half cock “safe” position, and gently squeezed trigger, the hammer dropped.

Why would the firearm malfunction like this? What needs to be replaced to make it safe to carry?

Re: Problem with Taurus PT 1911 AR .45cal

Man, Todd, that sucks!! I can't help you on the malfunction part. But I will say that I have had troubles with my Taurus, as well as my brother and several friends with theirs. I will never buy another Taurus again. My brother has sent his 45 to be repaired 3 times for the same issues.
When I had a 1911, I always carried it condition 1- hammer all the way back, round in chamber, safety on.

Sounds like Taurus better get off there ass and get a notice out on these problem and get the weapons fixed before someone does get hurt or killed.

I have never owed a Taurus 1911 but I do own a Springfield TRP the only way I would carry it as stated above by ChadTRG42.

I feel bad for you. A local gun shop refuses to stock Taurus handguns and when I asked why he said that they ran into too many problems with the guns and that they stood by what they sold. Many years ago I bought a SW model 85 snubbie that Taurus put out. I had to send it back. The revolver had light primer strikes in double action. I sent it back and then they forgot to put in a spring to hold the firing pin so it rattled. Sent it back again. Got it back and then the timing was off. I will never buy from them again. Horrible products.

You may be in luck though from what I understand the 1911 model may have interchangable parts with other 1911s

that sucks, I picked one up on a trade a while back and it has been a real nice gun, I gave it to my dad as a gift and he loves it. I hope they take care of you. More than likely the angle on the half cock knotch on the hammer isnt correct

Taurus has a strange history, in the early 80's they were junk, then they bought the berretta manufacturing equipment and started making the model 99 a copy of the 92. their sales sky rocketed. I had several of their pistols from the mid eighties until about 5 years ago, I have noticed that their quality control has really slipped. also years ago if you sent something back they returned it to you very quickly repaired no questions asked. The few friends I have that I had to send things back say it is like dealing with an insurance company now

Thanks for the info and words guys! I guess I'll just have to see what Taurus is willing to do to make this thing right.

For right now, I'm scared as Hell to pick the pistol up!

Tman

Chad,

Did your Brother have the same problems with his as I did? Did he send it to Taurus?

Hey by the way, you shooting Long Range Alley next weekend in L.A.?
If so, I'll see you there....

Take care,

Todd

Wayyy to many problems comming out of Taurus these days. We have sent back 3-4 Taurus pistols for customers in the past 3-4 weeks, them being the only guns returned for repair reasons. Anything from broken safteys to broken slide releases.

Co-worker bought a PT1911, put 3 mags through it, took it off safety, the safety fell out of the gun. literally fell out.
The shop he bought it from gave him a full refund. (bought it fri./returned it mon).

I have had several of their revolvers w/ no problems.

I'm curious why you think that half-cock is in some way the "safe" position for the hammer?

Ummm.....<span style="color: #990000"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">always read your manual.</span></span></span></span> Especially the part about NEVER using the half cock as a safety.

nb2lhc.jpg

There you have it, highlighted and everything.

I didn't highlight it, the seach engine did.

But I'd still blame Taurus.....if my wife was there when I did it!!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What needs to be replaced to make it safe to carry?
</div></div>

The user.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What needs to be replaced to make it safe to carry?
</div></div>

The user.</div></div>

Okay....not to rub it in....but that's LMAO funny right there!!

yeah yeah, it's funny, but understand that accidental discharges happen, usually from something like this where someone thought they did right or from becoming complacent.

I'll so agree that everyone needs to read their manual, but manuals are too conservative, training, PROPER training is so much better.

don't get on Todd too bad, he's a good guy for sure

i have two taurus' 1 24/7 mellenium in 45 and one 605 snubbie revolver, have put many rounds through them with no issues at all with either.

I have a funny story about a young boy thinking he knew about guns shooting right through his toe with his dad's Berreta 25acp because he heard somewhere that half cocked was safe..........

Ok, I reviewed the owner's manual for my Springfield Ultra Compact 1911. It reads the same as my Taurus PT1911AR owner's manual. Don't carry the firearm in the safety stop (half cock) position. I thought that half cock/safety stop was just that. A position that you can park the hammer in that will not provide sufficient force to discharge the arm from a primer strike by the hammer. I also thought that the hammer would not drop due to the trigger being squeezed in this position. According to the Springfield manual it won't discharge. Apparently, this is not the case with the Taurus.

Obviously I made the mistake of assuming that the two fire arms were similar in their functioning, and they are to a degree. However, on my Springfield the hammer will drop from the safety stop position but the pistol will not discharge. Not the case on the Taurus. My assumption was that; because the two pistols were based on the 1911 design they would be completely alike in their function.

Bottom line is I screwed up in a major way. I can only hope that this thread has done more than just making me look and feel like an ass. I hope some will read it, and as a result, review the owner's manuals on their firearms.

its technically not supposed to drop in the half cock. But you may have damaged the sear surfaces by placing the hammer there intentionally and now it will.

I'm glad that not only was nobody hurt, but I also hope that more than one person learned from this oversight. I know I learned it's not a good idea to assume you know how something works just because you've got another one or something that's very similar. Again, I'm very glad nobody was hurt, and thanks for sharing your experience on the board. A lot of people would be too proud or embarrassed to ask for help. I'm glad "simple" questions still get asked.

Hey, shit happens to everybody. All we can do is learn from it and move on.

Glad nobody was hurt.

Hey Todd, if it makes you feel any better, I've had a ND....and I can't even blame it on instructions, the gun or anyone else. I was just being a complete dumbass and not paying attention.

Like RAD said, it happens, learn from it and move on. I know I learned something for sure!!

I own a springfield 1911 and with the stock hammer installed it would fall if you pulled the trigger while halfcocked but did not discharge. I found out after a 3000 mile trip to New Mexico and back. I got it fixed by getting a new hammer installed by a gunsmith. Then I got a HK USP 45. and never carried the 1911 again. By the way it happened to my dad with a Colt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tman300wm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What needs to be replaced to make it safe to carry?
</div></div>

The user. </div></div>

I'll second that. Where the hell would you ever get the idea that half cock was the "safe" position?

The only "safe" position is cocked and locked...as you found out. The 1911 is not designed to be carried or used in any other position.

Todd- no one got hurt and I just bet you will NEVER make that mistake again. We all get complacent sometimes. Sounds like it was a good reminder.
As far as Taurus, I have worked on a couple to smooth the fit and finish and they seem to be a little hit or miss. I would still buy one at the right price but expect to go through it.

New to this forum, researching Taurus Safety Problems. Yes I spotted the half-cock warning in the manual of my new 1911 Taurus and haven't had the chance to use it errantly because after 50 rounds, the safety detent failed and then when I turned the weapon on its side to strip and clean it, the safety fell out. The manual states returns will be assessed within 4 days of receipt. LIES! I owned my gun for less than two weeks. Taurus had it for the other 5 weeks and still waiting for the communication/repair. If I call, I get a "canned response" stating I should hear something after six weeks. Well time's almost up...wish me luck. I asked them what will happen if it fails again. I had to pay $40 to ship it to Taurus which offsets the savings from all my shopping efforts. They said they will work with me, LOL?!?! They use MIM (metal injection molding) technology which is relatively new and I suspect the process has quality issues in hardness consistency. The internal 'dog' on the left side safety (the one that fell out) was pretty gnarled up for only firing 50 rounds. But I think the safety was jumping once the detent failed. The "custom features" Taurus boasts on the 1911 can easily be "engineered" into a mass produced pistol with minimal cost. But I don't think they can match the "hands-on" attentiveness of a gunsmith at their cost, nor the quality of machined and tempered components. It will be hard to be confident in this pistol without putting a few hundred trouble-free rounds through it when it finally gets back to me. And who can afford to chew up several hundred rounds in one sitting these days??? Would I buy another Taurus? The jury is still out, for now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gimmefuel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Co-worker bought a PT1911, put 3 mags through it, took it off safety, the safety fell out of the gun. literally fell out.
The shop he bought it from gave him a full refund. (bought it fri./returned it mon).

I have had several of their revolvers w/ no problems. </div></div>
This is what mine did. I got it fixed, but dont trust it any more. Anyone looking for a stainless PT1911. I know a guy selling one.
sick.gif

Don't waste your time with the Taurus. It's a piece of junk.

I bought my 1911AR about two and a half years ago. I had the issue with the safety as well, but I just replaced it with a colt commander safety and tension spring. After that I have had zero problems with the functionality of the handgun. At the same time that I purchased the 1911 I purchased a PPK, and every time I fired it it dropped the mag and than found out a recall had been set in place as well. After that I am extremely confident that it is hit or miss across the board...some more miss than hit. I have been extremely satisfied with the 1911 after the safety issue though. Just my opinion...

Folks why - oh why should any of this surprise you. For Christ sake, look at the pharmaceutical companies and what their putting out under the direction and control of the FDA. Why should gun safety be any different

- "side effects include, hair falling out, dry mouth, nose bleeds, teeth turn yellow, blindness, high incidents of cancer" if you experience any of these notify your doctor immediately. Oh you meant the same asshole that wrote the script in the first place - lol...

I'll play devils advocate here......

There is a reason that old saying of "Cocked and Locked" applies to 1911s. They were never ever ever ever ever meant to be carried in the half cock position. They were never ever ever ever ever meant to have the hammer "eased" down on a loaded chamber. Although it sounds like a safety issue with the gun, the user was at fault here as well. Lesson learned, they are meant to be carried one way......hammer ALL THE WAY IN THE COCKED POSITION, with the safety on.