• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Professional and LE Snipers. Dope Question?

308Shooter1911

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
How far to you break down the dope for your rifles. I.E. for sensitive situations were an inch up/down left/right is the difference between mission success and failure. Do you use 100 yard increments 25yard increments etc...

Re: Professional and LE Snipers. Dope Question?

If i tell you then i would have to kill ya
crazy.gif

It's more important to understand your POI at 25,50,and 75 yards.
Last class we gathered dope at 125,150,200,225,250 and 300.

Not a por but i often break down to the ten yard for ppratice

For work I break it down to 25 yards under 100 and 50 yards over 100.

That is precise enough for a CNS shot.

In matches I break it down to 10yards if there is a "close range" KYL like was done at the Oregon Sniper Challenge.

Now in a situation where I am in place for more than a few minutes I lase the target, nearby landmarks and start a range card with exact dope to each possible location. For that I switch to a ballistic computer. The difference may only be 1/4 MOA but the confidence that you have the EXACT setting can eliminate hesitation.

I sighted my rifle in at 250 yards. From 0 to 300 I was never more then 4 inches high or low. The AMU taught a nose shot so you were covered. Though, being urban there would seldem if ever been a shot at that range. About all LE snipping missions are under 100 yards.

I'm still a cert. LE sniper/counter sniper instructor. Nothing I've learned over the years has taught me to vary from what I was taught in the AMU Sniper School.

I've taught Military sniping to the NG and Active Army. Then were were using either the M1C/D or M21. The M1C/Ds had settings at 50 yard incuments. Sight in at 50 and congerm to 900. The M21 had sn automatic ranging scope, as you ranged the power knob it adjusted for elevation. It had stadium lines based on 30 inches. It wasn't hard to figure out range if you knew the size of the target.

The M1's M84 scope didn't have range finding abilities. but you could use the front sight post. The average front post on a M1 is .076. Which figures out to be 19 inches at 250 yards. 19 inches being the average width of a soldier, it made a pretty good range finder. If the target was as wide as the front sight, it was 250 yards. If the front sight was half the width of the front sight it was 125 yards, The target twice the width of the front sight, it was 500 yards, etc etc. With practice you could get pretty good.

Every 25 out to 100, then every 50 out to 600.

100 yard zero. Every 25 yards inside of 100 and every 50 yards past 100, out to 300 (this would be a far shot in my area, rural, wooded, hills..) If you are running a separate barrier load, also indicate changes in POI/zero between open air and barrier load on your dope card. As others have said, also good idea to know your POI at all distances should you not have time to dial.

Nick-

I run a 100 yard zero, and have dope every 25 yards between 25 and 200, then every 50 between 200 and 1000. Lots of open country and people with scoped hunting rifles in this part of the world, and not all of them have the best of intentions.

One uses the exact range of the target, and the exact dope required for that range.

Every 25 yards.

My scope center is 2.4 inches off the bore center (AR10). I have a 100 yard zero, and at 25 yards, my POI is 1.24 inches low. At 50 yards it is only .44 inches low (not worth making an adjustment), but at 25 yards it sure is. My .308 is basically shooting flat from 75 yards out to 125 yards, then it's back on the turrets.