• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Projectiles & New Systems

Re: Projectiles & New Systems

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Later

Talk to me about the Barnard actions......

Jeffvn</div></div>

They have just come out with a new Model P-Chey to handle the Cheytac case size. Its a touch bigger than the PL but smaller than the GP.

Even the importer had never gotten his hands on one until I started talking to him about I wanted a couple lol. I will have first on next week and second one in couple weeks (once its imported).

Will be building 2 new 375s for some test platforms.

Thanks

375 Chey Tac

Shot a pig at past a thousand and it just killed the bastard, had a hard time seeing the shot hit (dust cloud)heard the "whap" ,,,, saw the aftermath,, nice..... wish it was big boar..........350 Sierra Match King 130.0 grains RE 25 SMOOTH SHOOTING rifle.... just went a little over 90lbs. Big boar bayed by my dogs went a little over 340,10mm one shot "bang flop" just want to see the one that killed two dogs over and over again,,,,,,lady that saw it said the hump on its back was taller than the hood on her Chevy 2 wheel drive pick up hood,, and it was solid black. that would be a trophy....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lrs50bmg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000YARDS+</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Question for you Noel,,,,

I have several new builds, barrels are barely broken in. Is there a chance you can run some projectiles that would still be better than what is currently available and allow me to use my current barrels?

338 - 9.4 twist

This would save me some bucks. When these barrels are gone, I could then step up to the faster twist rates for the super bullets.

I don't mean to insult, just thought I'ld ask.
</div></div>

I'm in the same boat as 1000YDS....

I'd be very interested in some .338's for a 9.4 twist...

Scott Nye </div></div>

I would be interested in the 338's for a 9.4 twist also.

Re: 375 Chey Tac

Thats cool Vann.Good shootin.Was it a first round hit or did you walk it in ?I couldn't get The SMKs to shoot any good in my 375 CT.

Noel

thanks for the reply and apologies for the delay in posting, I have been tied up with a job here...

Could you advise on when the third series copper 253g (338) will be available - these appear to be just what I am looking for.

Oh and a price per 100 too would be good.

Thanks

Andy

Andy,

I am both impressed, and surprised, at your interest in the third series. I was fully expecting that request from someplace like Canada. What are you shooting at in the U.K. ?

The projectile runs I am on at present do not include the expandables, but I will tool for the .338 version in a few weeks. I would also like to run simulations at various impact velocities prior to shipment, so that the data results can be included with individual orders.

I will hold off on firm pricing in lieu of gathering machine time numbers that I am confident about. You will be among the first to know when everything is ready.

Best,
Noel

I have access to quite long ranges on my own ground and with a club I am a member of in the UK.

At one particular range we can shoot out to 2500 meters (providing the weather is kind) However, as this is classed as a field firing range (run by the Army) we are not allowed to walk out to the targets although there are both reactive and electronic targets that you are able to spot hits (just) on at these distances.

I plan (or would like) to connect reliably with 2000 mtr targets and although I know the standard 250g Scenars will allow this, I like the idea of monometal solids and their enhanced BC capabilities which may allow me to attempt this goal.

Doing my own smith work also enables me to keep development costs down to a minimum when rebarreling etc..

As far as using expandables, well I would like to have the option at least of knowing if required the bullets are good to go on larger game.

Redmist,

Just thought I would give you an update on progress regarding your request.

Tooling design has been completed for the 338 expandable copper hunting bullet. Band strength, and enternal ballistics will be equivalent to the target brass version.

Production will begin sometime in December, at which time cost will be published. Given some of the pricing I have seen recently on target solids, I would expect this particular projectile to still come in slightly below prevailing rates.

Best,
Noel

Sounds good Noel thanks

Look forwards to hearing when they are ready.

Andy

Hi everyone. First post, please be gentle :)-)
I'm using a TRG42 in 338LM. I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest. I can't make SMKs in 300grns work at all, they spray a fair bit, whereas 250 pills both in SMK and Lapua work really well. The TRG has a 12 twist. any suggestions as to why the lager rounds don't stabilise would be appreciated.

Max

Agbm,

This piece of advice from Greg Langelius proved to be determinative :

"Don't go after the individual customer. Go after the retailers, and get them to go after the distributers. Customers need to see the product performing in their world. Product advocates need to operate in that world. That's when the individual customers pester their retailers, and that's when the marketing wheel truly begins to turn."...

While mass marketing was, and remains at least for the present, an impractical avenue of distribution for this class of projectile, a "boutique" product will always be the domain of a hobbiest... or the researcher, which is the path I ultimately took.

It is fun to review the evolution of my designs, over time, since this thread. If I had released a "finished" product back then, it would have been, in an understatement, premature... and selling it a disservice to consumers. The projectiles would have flown well enough. The problem is that the many refinements which have since been incorporated could only be implemented consequent to extensive field trials (which had not occurred to that point in time).

I still find myself asking, "Is the design *ready* yet?". As this question relates to a dedicated barrel/projectile "system", my answer is clearly "yes". As you may have seen in the more recent thread started by Lowlight, there remains a demand for precision machined projectiles that will stabilize from standard-twist barrels. I am only now coming to believe that a suitable ZA design is nearing finalization within this niche... but the product will be labeled differently to draw a stark differentiation in performance attributes.

Five years is not very much time to introduce a major change in the fundamentals of small arms performance.