• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Pronged vs closed tine Flash hiders

YetterIsBetter

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2020
Middle Earth
Just got my nods and am thinking about changing out my A2. The A2 has a small amount of flash at low light situations that is visible without nods. I live in a ban state, so no can for me.

So generally speaking, pronged FHs hide flash better than closed tine FHs. It also seems that the longer the prongs, the better the flash reduction.

What will a muzzle first drop do to the FH? That is the one thing keeping me from taking off that A2. I don't intend to spear it into a concrete wall but shit happens.

I can’t remember ever augering in with my muzzle device, even in the Marines ( I know, crayon eater). Anyways, I mostly use brakes instead of flash hiders since I am not in a ban state. Only thing I can add is going through brush with an open flash hider you might do a bit of pruning and I have also heard some of them can sound like a tuning fork .

Ronin out

Reactions: Snuby642
Was gonna mention my open ended flash hider rings like a bell at times :)
It's also the adapter for my can so it doesn't really matter with the can on, but it can be kinda freaky can off.
"What's that noise ???"
BTW, it's grade 9 titanium so it probably rings more than if it was some sort of steel/stainless.

Yeah the ringing is annoying. My buddies surefire three prong has a really annoying ring. You can hear it through the ear pro for a second or two after a shot.

I like the 3-prong AAC and Knights flash hiders. Each prong has a different mass which pretty much eliminates the tuning fork ringing sound. Knights also claims its 3-prong “Flash Eliminator” has better accuracy than its brake.

I don’t hear any ringing when firing my SR-25 with its FH. It’s been a while but I don’t remember any ringing with my AAC 5.56 FHs either.

Last edited:
The A2 is pretty great at suppressing flash…you’ll have to spend a decent amount of money to match or surpass it. I’d probably just keep it as is.

The A2 is pretty great at suppressing flash…you’ll have to spend a decent amount of money to match or surpass it. I’d probably just keep it as is.
^this, if you’re not running a can off of it, A2 is hard to beat unless you really just don’t like the way it looks and rather spend $100+ on something new.

I've got a LMT 3 prong. Does great at suppressing flash. I've got a surefire warcomp 3 prong that does great at suppressing flash. Neither have the tuning fork effect. Also numerous A2's I feel like the 3 prongs do just alittle better suppressing flash.
I've never been on the opposite end of them... so I don't know 100%

Most newly designed flash hiders should not tuning fork on you.

This is sort of like something that popped into my head last night. I had a cheap NV scope on an AR upper briefly and was thinking about doing it again (a hunting thing). What crossed my mind was... "Since it has no recoil and I won't really be trying to shoot it super fast and I won't be shooting it prone, would it be beneficial to clock the FH upside down?"

This is sort of like something that popped into my head last night. I had a cheap NV scope on an AR upper briefly and was thinking about doing it again (a hunting thing). What crossed my mind was... "Since it has no recoil and I won't really be trying to shoot it super fast and I won't be shooting it prone, would it be beneficial to clock the FH upside down?"
No, the closed portion will drive your muzzle in the other direction, in this case up.

1E38F585-35DD-4E18-B341-4DAFFEE67BBC.gif

I have a sure fire warcomp and it’s taken some serious dings from transition near barriers, a couple of concrete range tables and it’s fine.

Sings a little when you shoot it but I don’t really notice anymore .

Have a Wilson 3 prong and it doesn’t ring at all. Hasn’t taken any abuse as it’s on my hunting/mid range set up.

I actually bought a 4 prong to go on a 14.5” I’m working on. I’m hoping it does what they say it does

Attachments

• 154BDE95-3AB9-4F2E-B530-2BC20BA3BFA7.jpeg
    154BDE95-3AB9-4F2E-B530-2BC20BA3BFA7.jpeg
    571.8 KB · Views: 175
Using a Gen III 4x scope with an A2 and there is no problem. This is on a 16" middy. Scope doesn't care about the little visible flash and it does not hinder a follow-up shot.

The A2 is the benchmark I believe.

I've used the BE Meyers/ JP and they work great.

The YHM phantom are really great too!