• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Pronghorn hunting in Wyoming... anyone have advice/contacts?

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
So a couple us are thinking that instead of going to Ohio again deer hunting, we want to start mixing things up a bit and try some new areas/species. So we'll probably hunt at home for deer and are looking at going out west this fall for Pronghorn.

I've been to Cody and loved it. There were several outfitters there, but that was 10 years ago. So does anyone here have advice, contacts, etc? Be two of us, possibly three.

Anyone here guide or have a recommended outfitter? Doesn't have to be Cody. We're open to wherever we have the best chance of an amazing hunt... and a challenging one! Real stalking...

Thanks and Cheers,

Sirhr

State of Wyoming has a good website and hunt planning tools. This will give you time frames for applications etc. Contact the Wyoming Outfitters https://wyoga.org/ has good resources too.

We always hunted the Jeffrey City area because it was close to home base. Eastern part of the state is good too.

Yup, go on the website and check out the "Hunt Planner" page. It gives details info on whatever units you want to look at. It also gives you the draw odds and the local bio that you can contact for specific info. FYI, I've been looking at the draw odds and its getting tough to get tags, any tags. Units that just a few years ago you could get with zero preference points now take 1 or more. Hardly any that don't and the ones that do are mostly private land units. Now you can still hunt those units if you have the gps chip but realize its not going to be as much fun since you will be hunting small pieces of land that will get pounding by other hunters.

But dial in a few units and call the bio or the local Fish And Game office, some still have lists of landowners that will allow hunting but they also usually charge a trespass fee. You might get lucky and run into a landowner/rancher that will allow doe hunting for free but even that is getting tough to find.

Work with @velayo_0317 and gunwerks. They know all the good spots outside of Cody. I’m pretty sure they have class/hunt packages

Reactions: Leatherlunger
We're open to wherever we have the best chance of an amazing hunt... and a challenging one! Real stalking...

Sirhr,

I have a house in Laramie that my Son lives in to go to school at UW. Durning the past few seasons he and his roommates hunt more than they should be..

I am not an expert on speed goats, but here is what seems to be relatively consistent:
1. They are plentiful in the plans​
2. ^ as such the stocks can be cut shorter than you might want if there is no dead space​
3. They seem to have developed a sense of personal danger space of around 500 yards.​
4. If you have a quad to be able to cover ground, you'll certainly fill your tag quickly as long as the wind distance combo doesn't out strip your personal ability.​
5. Don’t hunt them in the sage if your wanting to eat them. The sage is way easier to stalk but makes them rank​

Off topic the Elk draw for non-res is closed. I paid $700 for general Elk as a non-res draw (2020 closed already). My Son can get his over the counter for $57 or $20 for a cow. Anterless Antelope non res are only $34 -- Bucks $326 ish..

One way or the other, I be there for archery season 2020.. Wyoming sells just the tag, Then you pay extra for Archery. If you do not fill the tag during archery, you can come back during the rifle season.

Last edited:
Near Pueblo a couple years ago. Right there in the middle. Populations are booming here. Just like everything else.

IMG_5817.jpeg

Reactions: 260284
Spur Outfitters! Encampment, Wyoming. Shameless plug for an operation I am involved with lol. Some really nice antelope area 52 and more elk than we know what to do with.

Theres no need for an outfitter if you don’t care about shooting trophy bucks. If it’s rifle season scout for 1-2 days before season opens and then be ready opening morning.

Without preference points you'll need to look at areas in the north east part of the state and hunt with an outfitter. These units have plenty of tags available but most of it is private land and outfitters lease majority of the good ranches. There is "some" public land in those units if you dont mind hiking alot and alot of other hunters.

Central to western Wyoming is managed for trophy quality and alot less tags available. Normally takes 2-12 preference points to draw depending on the unit.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Wyoming applications for antelope should be open the end of March. Not sure if they are still due in May or June.

Join ONx maps and it will give you an idea of where the public land is.

No need for an outfitter. Lots of good bucks on public land. Plan on serious glassing to find the best animals. Feel free to PM also.

Reactions: lr123
I wouldn't mess with left over tags or tags in the NE corner of the State. If you don't have points, you're best shot is random draw which could happen. You might look at 73 since they give out a boat load of tags and its an area with decent amounts of public ground. If you start building points, I'd guess yer 5 - 7 years out depending on point creep for some better than average areas...

We hunted Area 3 last year on left over doe/fawn tags. Not a great hunt but we don't live to far away and its cheap for non residents to hunt does. There is some public ground there but the antelope know where to hide. We also weren't able to hunt the first week which i'm sure made a difference. we did find some on public land and unfortunately the guy who was first up in the group to shoot wasn't able to connect. We ended up asking a landowner if we could shoot some and he gave us permission. We all got an antelope out of that group but I personally wouldn't hunt that area again unless i'm hard pressed just to go hunting. I was lucky enough to draw an area 68 tag a couple years ago with only 3 points and that was an awesome hunt. Tons of antelope and almost all public ground.

Don't believe that they are bad if you get them in the sage, I've shot antelope from the badlands of north Dakota, south east corner of montana, and a few different areas in Wyoming and as long as they were clean shot, and cooled down quick they have always tasted good. We make sure to get them gutted and skinned right away and put on ice and keep the meat clean.

We hunted 109 on a second draw tag a week after season started. The antelope were on to us pretty quickly and never presented a shot within 750 yards. We then hunted 26 on opening day of rifle season and had three in the truck before 1pm. Shots were at 785, 280, and 325 yards.

I hunted with Graves Outfitters Kaycee Wy. Awesome hunt. Mule deer and Antelope. Scored on both.

There is more antelope then people... You'll get your tags filled. My family's been hunting in Wyoming in the same zone since the 70s lol and we're from California.