• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof pre-fit chamber issue.

Chili47

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2011
Southern Colorado
I was shooting last night and all of the sudden i couldn't chamber a factory round. pulled the barrel and this is what i have. cleaned the piss out of it and still the same has anyone experienced this?

Attachments

• Resized_20200127_095022.jpeg
    Resized_20200127_095022.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 241
  • Resized_20200127_094957.jpeg
    Resized_20200127_094957.jpeg
    365.9 KB · Views: 249
Here is a picture of the throat.

Attachments

• Resized_20200127_131959.jpeg
    Resized_20200127_131959.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 231
  • Resized_20200127_132001.jpeg
    Resized_20200127_132001.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 223
So I am understanding that the same ammo worked fine then it just would not chamber?
Did you try different ammo?
Can you insert a fired round into the chamber?

Check the ammo look if the neck/bullet is concentric maybe they were damaged / bent.

fired case and go gauge fit fine as shown on the picture on the original post its grabbing the bullet. That is what i dont understand its like a bur just popped up out of nowhere. shot 2 rounds fine then i couldn't chamber the third.

Is that a misplaced round that is larger, like a 6.5 in a 6mm?

fired case and go gauge fit fine as shown on the picture on the original post its grabbing the bullet. That is what i dont understand its like a bur just popped up out of nowhere. shot 2 rounds fine then i couldn't chamber the third.

Did you try other rounds? Did you compare the one that didn't chamber to anything else in the box?

CLR the chamber end up through the throat then hit it with a brush (brass/bronze, not nylon). Probably have carbon build up or carbon ring that's catching the bullet.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
CLR the chamber end up through the throat then hit it with a brush (brass/bronze, not nylon). Probably have carbon build up or carbon ring that's catching the bullet.
work it over yesterday with some solvent and a very mild polish and got it working i guess time will tell if it keeps working. Still no response from proof im not gonna shoot it much till elk season is over.

work it over yesterday with some solvent and a very mild polish and got it working i guess time will tell if it keeps working. Still no response from proof im not gonna shoot it much till elk season is over.

If it was a really nasty carbon ring, which is sounds and looks like it was, it doesn’t have anything to do with Proof or who ever chambered the barrel.

Not directed at op, but this is why I laugh when someone talks about not cleaning their bore for 5-700rds....good luck with that carbon ring.

OP, glad you got it sorted, couple hundred rds is kinda fast to get a carbon ring. What ammo was it?

Hornady american gunner and Precision hunter.
I shoot lots and lots of American gunner in 6.5 and go way more than 200 rounds between cleanings without issues. Maybe it is just one of those things that can just happen.

Reamer wear is a thing that happens, too. The free-bore on the Creedmoors (and most match chambers for that matter) is fairly tight to align the bullet straight with the barrel. It doesn't take much wear to get them cutting on the tight side of things.

Reamer wear is a thing that happens, too. The free-bore on the Creedmoors (and most match chambers for that matter) is fairly tight to align the bullet straight with the barrel. It doesn't take much wear to get them cutting on the tight side of things.
actually got a response from proof and i told them what was going on and they said if i had any more issues let them know.

Chamber appears to have to have waaay to much case protrusion from
What it appears.

Looking at the pictures of the throat of the chamber area.....that one/two grooves where the reamer cut in the throat look like it cut really deep on one side.

Bore scope the whole throat area and rotate the bore scope around to see if the reamer cut evenly all the way around the throat area of the chamber. If you see where it cut in the grooves in one or two of them but the other grooves are not touched then the reamer/chamber job is off center.

I could be wrong just looking at one or two pictures but it’s worth checking out. Other things not known are what the reamer is spec’d at on the throat and also what the groove size is of the barrel. All could be fine and the picture is just misleading.