• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proof Research Prefit For PRS

staticTango

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
I’m pretty new to PRS and am considering buying a proof research stainless 6GT prefit for my Defiance Ruckus action. Does anyone have experience with their accuracy / thermal drift / performance? I currently use a Bartlein chambered by GAP and get .1-.2 mil drift(.1 after 5-10 rounds fired).

Is there any real advantage to getting GAP to do another prefit barrel, or save $$ and get a proof prefit?

I’m pretty new to PRS and am considering buying a proof research stainless 6GT prefit for my Defiance Ruckus action. Does anyone have experience with their accuracy / thermal drift / performance? I currently use a Bartlein chambered by GAP and get .1-.2 mil drift(.1 after 5-10 rounds fired).

Is there any real advantage to getting GAP to do another prefit barrel, or save $$ and get a proof prefit?
The proof contour is very heavy compared to some. I have one in 6 creed. It doesn’t behave any differently than Bartlien, Brux, Krieger, etc barrels of a similar weight.

Last edited:
Barrels def open up as they get hot, but if your shoot two groups of 5 (10 shots) in a row and they don’t have the same average zero (and groups are small enough that they don’t just overlap), GA wants that barrel back for diagnosis, something isn’t square and tight.

I think “thermal drift” has been debunked in other threads. @Frank Green or @lowlight can correct me if I’m wrong.
If you happen upon those threads with Frank Green I’m interested in that discussion. I searched but I didn’t immediately see anything but admittedly I suck at searching on the hide.

Regarding proof barrels - simply put they’re absolutely good for PRS. I wouldn’t hesitate to run one.

Reactions: ZY100
I think “thermal drift” has been debunked in other threads. @Frank Green or @lowlight can correct me if I’m wrong.
Let’s assume the barrel cleans decent (no abnormal fouling etc…) not a high round count etc…not chambered in some really overbore capacity cartridge that isn’t being cleaned properly etc…

Ammo is good, gunsmithing work is good, scope is good etc…they guy behind the trigger is doing his job and reading the wind etc…

There are a lot of variables!

If you start shooting and as the barrel warms up you see the shots string/wander on you…don‘t touch the sights. Let it cool. Then start shooting again…if the groups/shots again seem to string on you…that to me is a sign of the barrel having residual stress in the blank and or a bow to it. Bow is our term for being bent basically. You never want to straighten a barrel with a bow in it. If this is really happening you cannot fix it.

Carbon fiber? Or steel shooting in cold conditions even in normal to hot temps….ever wonder why a F class shooter uses a mirage shield on his barrel? To keep the mirage from distorting your view thru the scope. This is another factor.

Land, terrain, moisture…conditions can effect you as well.

If all those are ruled out…then yes the barrel could have residual stress in the blank and or bowed. Even good button barrel makers who restress relieve the blank before turning….there is no guarantee you got all the residual stress out of it.

Later, Frank

Barrel contour and weight are another variable. More so in button and hammer forged barrels than cut rifled ones but it is a variable.

Got a muzzle brake on it or a suppressor?

Muzzle crown properly done?

More food for thought!

Also if it is a prefit barrel….double check to make sure the bolt isn’t touching the breech face of the barrel. If it’s touching…that will cause accuracy issues.

Even custom actions the receivers and bolts have tolerances and depending on to what spec the barrel is being made to you can run into issues. That’s why for the most part we don‘t do prefits. It’s worse with production guns but can be a issue with custom as well.

Let’s assume the barrel cleans decent (no abnormal fouling etc…) not a high round count etc…not chambered in some really overbore capacity cartridge that isn’t being cleaned properly etc…

Ammo is good, gunsmithing work is good, scope is good etc…they guy behind the trigger is doing his job and reading the wind etc…

There are a lot of variables!

If you start shooting and as the barrel warms up you see the shots string/wander on you…don‘t touch the sights. Let it cool. Then start shooting again…if the groups/shots again seem to string on you…that to me is a sign of the barrel having residual stress in the blank and or a bow to it. Bow is our term for being bent basically. You never want to straighten a barrel with a bow in it. If this is really happening you cannot fix it.

Carbon fiber? Or steel shooting in cold conditions even in normal to hot temps….ever wonder why a F class shooter uses a mirage shield on his barrel? To keep the mirage from distorting your view thru the scope. This is another factor.

Land, terrain, moisture…conditions can effect you as well.

If all those are ruled out…then yes the barrel could have residual stress in the blank and or bowed. Even good button barrel makers who restress relieve the blank before turning….there is no guarantee you got all the residual stress out of it.

Later, Frank
Frank, thanks for the run down. Question on the fouling point: suppose there is excess fouling, then a shooter runs up a high shot count? Hypothetically, a 300nm, not cleaned in 4-500, with 80 shots in 10min (or less).

Is it possible that combination could cause a shift? Then later see that barrel when cooled go back to zero?

Frank, thanks for the run down. Question on the fouling point: suppose there is excess fouling, then a shooter runs up a high shot count? Hypothetically, a 300nm, not cleaned in 4-500, with 80 shots in 10min (or less).

Is it possible that combination could cause a shift? Then later see that barrel when cooled go back to zero?
In overbore case cartridges like 300NM, 300WM, 6.5PRC, 243Win, 6CM etc..

I’ll say yes but more of if you let the cleaning get away from you….It’s going to be hard to get the barrel cleaned so it shoots consistently. Your quick 10 min cleaning session might work for say 10 or 15 rounds or so…but the fliers will appear.

Copper is the biggest problem but carbon fouling can cause accuracy issues as well.

Running the overbore case capacity cartridges for 400 to 500 rounds with out cleaning….expect issues. I’ll go about 100 rounds tops in between cleanings. Maybe a tad more…maybe a tad less but that is a good round number.

I've run the proof pre fits on my Zermatt TL3 for the last 4 barrels, They are as accurate as most of the others that you would have a smith build for you. 6mm Creed and 6.5 creed. No issues!!
I have 2 more leaning against the wall in boxes...

Reactions: earthquake
I've run the proof pre fits on my Zermatt TL3 for the last 4 barrels, They are as accurate as most of the others that you would have a smith build for you. 6mm Creed and 6.5 creed. No issues!!
I have 2 more leaning against the wall in boxes...
Yea I don’t know if I’d go that far.

A proof pre fit can absolutely compete right up there with a smithed barrel. Especially if we are just talking about prs. Plenty of matches have been won with a pre fit. I have shot nothing but their zermatt pre-fits and out of a pretty large sample size they are right up there as any smith barrel i have ever had.

Reactions: Bnack
A proof pre fit can absolutely compete right up there with a smithed barrel. Especially if we are just talking about prs. Plenty of matches have been won with a pre fit. I have shot nothing but their zermatt pre-fits and out of a pretty large sample size they are right up there as any smith barrel i have ever had.
i'd agree 100%

in reality...Proof is doing the same thing as a gunsmith with a CNC is...they're just doing 50 times more a day

I think the key word is “can”, it’s consistency that seems to be a problem with high volume shops like proof. Chambers cut with a worn out reamers, runout issues, bad threading, etc. have been noted many times with proof barrels. And honestly, it’s doing a disservice to the attention to detail and craftsmanship that you can get from a smaller shop to suggest that proof barrels are “just as good” 100% of the time.

I think the key word is “can”, it’s consistency that seems to be a problem with high volume shops like proof. Chambers cut with a worn out reamers, runout issues, bad threading, etc. have been noted many times with proof barrels. And honestly, it’s doing a disservice to the attention to detail and craftsmanship that you can get from a smaller shop to suggest that proof barrels are “just as good” 100% of the time.
those issues are the same that happen with smiths though sometimes. even the best. see jim see FB posts

I've had those same issues with a Smith that Jim See discusses. I as of yet I have not had issues with my Proof barrels. Proof on Left/ Smith on right

Attachments

• 20221015_163948.jpg
    20221015_163948.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 129
I’ve liked Proofs BETTER than a couple of barrels I’ve had spun up by small shops. No doubt there are good smiths out there doing excellent work but it seems Proof’s standards and QC exceeds that of a lot of independent shops.