• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Proper equipment for the "mile club"

EastTexz_stacker

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2014
Hey guys. I am new to the forum but have done a lot of reading on the subject. I have been shooting a long time and I'm now trying to stretch out and do some distance shooting. I have a Les Baer 338 LM with NF 5.5x25x56 ATACR (MOAR). I have recently ordered the Kestrel 4500 NV AB w/BT. My question is concerning a good range finder. I don't know if I need to spend the extra money to get one that offers a solution or not. Also would like to know if there's anything I should look into getting for the backpack. I am sure this has been discussed so I apologize if this question is redundant. I looked thru some of the older threads and didn't see one... So apologies in advance.

I think the Vectronix and Swarovski are both pretty highly regarded for rangefinders. G7 if you want solutions in the LRF. The backpack you select has nothing to do with the distance to the target, just how much crap you want to lug around. I'd say most of us started bigger and moved to smaller as the useless stuff got tossed out.

Was just at a class with a target at a mile. We had the best results getting accurate ranges with the Vectronix rangefinders (Terrapin) and the Bushnell Fusion 1mile ARC's (which also make pretty decent spotters). Trued data from an AB Kestrel using a custom curve was spot on. As expected, the wind call was the hard part. Having a berm behind the target also helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A nice spotting scope. I use a Vortex Razor 20-60x85. If you will be setting up the targets then all you need is a gps to figure out your distance. I don't have a rangefinder I just use a GPS or google maps for setting up targets and figuring out the distance. And google maps just added a measure distance feature though I have not tried it out to see how accurate it is.