• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing pros/cons eotech on coyote rig?

pickpick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Jonesboro,Ar.
Do any of you guys run eotechs or red dots and magnifiers? I have a couple ARs that I could use for coyotes. If the calling works right, I would be shooting less than 100yrds. If I'm driving around I think the 3x mag would come in handy. What say you?

Re: pros/cons eotech on coyote rig?

I hunted with a fellow a while back who had one and what he was able to do with that thing was AMAZING! No magnifier. I asked him if he felt handicapped in any way. He said there's your answer pointing at two dead dogs. The first one got it at ~200 yds and the next one hauled ass out of there and a few misses later he connected with him ~ 300. He got shots off so fast, I wasn't even able to open my mouth to call his miss or ranges. He had an accurate weapon and knew it inside and out. He said 400 was about his limit. We never got a chance to find out, but I believed him. This was an EOTECH. I think it only had a 2 min dot.

Like said in the Post above, There are people who can really use plain Eo & AR and shine.
Hunting Coyotes (You are Not) limited to Under 100 yrd. with it. Use what you know and got . I got scoped AR but, I have killed a ShitLoad of Coyotes with a EOtech with no magnification & AR .
But I would say (For ME) the AR with Eo and in the 100 yrd. target area is definitely it's Sweet Spot. & if you throw 3x in front of it, it will let you squeeze-out the sweet spot out closer to the 200 line.

I don't coyote hunt but I have shot movers with a 10.5" AR/Eotech out to 100 with no problem.

Zero at 50 and you should be good on a coyote size target out to 200 (depending on barrel length, ammo...) with no holdover.

Duplex crosshairs don't power off and don't take batteries. I know of a buck still walking around due to this fact and my having a surprise dead battery in my propoint. I love my propoint, but the offset for speed is a lack of long distance accuracy and possibility of battery failure. That's why mine is on a shotgun, if it fails, it comes off and I have the bead still. If you go that route, you might consider BUIS for your AR. I run a 3x-9x or a 4x-12x and leave the power down on them. It's good enough to hit small grey fox with my single shot and combo gun out to 80 yds so far and fast enough for the close in runners. I've never felt at a disadvantage having a duplex reticle instead of a dot. Just have to practice with it.

EoTech works for me, using with a call, shots under 100 because I really prefer magnification over that...

I also use this one at night with PVS14, again, most shots under 100y...

5-29-09-002023.jpg

Paducah10-04-09029.jpg

Paducah12-5-09081.jpg

Agreed, I have tagged about a 10" rock multiple times ranged at 300yds. Never tried farther, I think it is a great advantage when finding your target quickly or shooting at one running.

If you have Flip up iron sights installed along with the Eo-Tech, if the batteries die, you are still good to go. I have an EO-Tech on my 6.5 Grendel, and its spot on out to 300 yards. Put NV behind it and its a great setup for night hunting. My M4 has an EO-Teck 3-2 and a 4X magnifier. I just installed it over Christmas, but it should be good to 500 since it has a ballistic reticle.

Night vision pretty much mandated using an Eo-Tech. That being said, I am still pretty happy with them.

I like Eotech with and without magnifier and Leupold 1.5X5 MK4. But many other setups will work. If you can hit a 8-10"" target at 200-300 yards, you will kill a coyote the same, just squeeze....SmokeRolls
2010JanJenscamera617.jpg
ks, just make it work....SmokeRolls
2010JanJenscamera623.jpg

Rat-30: Nice picks and nice kills.. Sweet.....SmokeRolls

Rappeller-11.. I really like my 1.5x 5 Leupy... Lit reticle and draws in light very well. And it has the 223 mil dot reticle for different yardages.......It's now my favorite at night with a great big honkin light.... red filter first then white light and then hammer......SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rappeller-11.. I really like my 1.5x 5 Leupy... Lit reticle and draws in light very well. And it has the 223 mil dot reticle for different yardages.......It's now my favorite at night with a great big honkin light.... red filter first then white light and then hammer......SmokeRolls </div></div>

1.5x5 is definitely an excellent choice for the AR types, however i just traded for the older 3-9x36 with m1 dials. heading out to chase some yoters.

Rappeller-11 : I believe any good Leupold will work well if it's a VariX III or Tactical or MK-4... They all bring in light very well.. As long as the magnification is not to high at the time of use due to light availability it will work ( The greater the magnification, the greater the demand for light)...Have fun hunting.......I havn't seen or heard any coyotes lately...It's time to start calling and put a bloody rabbit as the centerpiece. Rig the tail with a fishing line for movement...hahaha.....SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rat-30: Nice picks and nice kills.. Sweet.....SmokeRolls </div></div>

Thank you! I endeavor...
smile.gif

I did have a Leupold 1.5-5 Circle Dot, and it was a great scope for daylight/low light... I found the EoTech better for the close range nvd night work. I'll probably be getting another day scope soon, leaning to the 3-9x42 SS based on some of the reviews here on the board. Should be great for day calling, and hope it works well at night with the green illuminator thingy I've been reading about....
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like Eotech with and without magnifier and Leupold 1.5X5 MK4. But many other setups will work. If you can hit a 8-10"" target at 200-300 yards, you will kill a coyote the same, just squeeze....SmokeRolls
2010JanJenscamera617.jpg
ks, just make it work....SmokeRolls
2010JanJenscamera623.jpg
</div></div>
Who makes the pressure switch holder in pic 2?

strangedays :It's all Surefire.. I'll go get the model # of the package later... PM me later if I forget...I don't have time to get it now......I love that switch by the way. It has a push button switch to stay on and a pressure pad for momentary on...SmokeRolls

Chip01 : The Eotech's are good sights. Me personally, you don't always need high powered scopes for 300 yards (I use both scopes and Eotechs)and less and if you keep the brighness down on the eotech the size of the aiming dot gets aven sharper which helps you on getting more precise at aiming.. The best score I have ever gotten at an assault rifle match was with an eotech 552. Max yardage was about 150 yards, minimum was about 40. They are not just for busting thru houses and getting on target quick, they work pretty well at further yardage if you keep the brightness down. Stick with good optics with good glass and I don't think any good sight will let you down. Just match the weapon and optics and bullets for the yardage/ target you will be shooting and then shoot the piss out of it.......And have fun doing it..........SmokeRolls

strangedays: Surefire # Model SR06 ( The 06 is 6" cable/cord) You can get different lengths... I think I paid $80.00 face to face with my surefire dealer.....Let me know if you need a Surefire dealer that is good to deal with...I have bought a ton of stuff from him... He's a good guy to deal with.. He ships everywhere........SmokeRolls

I personally ran a NV compatible Eotech on my service M4. For fast target acquisition out to 300M I have found nothing better. Never felt the red-dot was a hindrance to accuracy (more likely the rack grade rifle) Man sized silhouettes out to 500M were no issue (not ethical hunting accuracy I agree) but a BDC reticule Acog was better suited for the job. 65MOA exterior circle is far too large to have a aiming reference for movers but its a matter of personal comfort / practice. With ease of accessory attachment for either a swing away 3X magnifier or night vision I have found it to be a incredibly versatile optic for all my needs. For a day / night optic for under 300M especially in heavier cover woods i feel its a great setup. Just my .02